Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    women would vote for whoever their husband voted
    Women had no vote whatsoever until the 20th century, after the 1st World War.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have a constitution so that's kind of meaningless. The fact is that your monarch had a great deal of say over appointments to diplomatic positions and over foreign policy.
    We have a lot of laws, a general overview could be called our consitution, since it lists all the powers of the state and how they are distributed. The powers of the monarchy were constrained centuries before, even if though there was the occasional breach. The simple existance of a hereditary head of state is a justified excuse for not regarding Britain as a "true" democracy today, though it would be very controversial.
    The South relied on cash crops, which required a massive amount of labor, and thus slavery. The North and Britain didn't rely on those crops, and therefore had no need for slaves.
    If Britain tomorrow put millions in slavery, I doubt the rest of the world would continue to call it a true democracy, same if we scrapped the secret ballot, denied the vote to non-whites and women. I'm certain some would argue that the First Past the Post system we operate makes us exempt from bieng a "true" democracy, since it means some people don't have a say overall. Wasn't the pre-civil war system similar to this?

The US was probably still the most liberal/englightened nation at the time as far as lifestyle was concerned. I don't buy into this Cult of Democracy, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    Women had no vote whatsoever until the 20th century, after the 1st World War.
    Yep, not very democratic. I already mentioned that though:
    Neither countries had universal sufferage for another hundred years. [...] their women would vote for whoever their husband voted - there was no secret ballot.
    I was justifying one reason why it was pointless to give women the vote. Of course, they were quite limited in their social role anyway, which would have been the main reason.

ReputationRep:
    america? ....freedom? haha. your media is so propagandist that its stoopid...i was out there for a month, and wanting to watch the world news, was unable to! 55 mins was national news, and 5 mins was left for world news and sport and stock exchanges.
    There are many people who are intellectually challenged...its upsetting sometimes the things some people say, or rather dont say.
    USA is one of the worlds largest energy wasters and pollution makers...the food portions given in restaurants are huge...we ordered only one meal between 2 of us everytime we were in a restaurant (except in san fran), and we were satisfied. Oh, and also...why is the bread sweet???!!!!
    But i must also say, that Americas sights are amazing, breath-taking, beautifully unbelieveable. Unforgettable moment was talking to a Navajo indian lady about their culture and history...i think i must have been there for a good few hours. Its just sad that, for e.g, many americans drove to the grand canyon, got out of the car walked 50metres to the edge, took photos, maybe walked another 100metres, and then got back into the car and went home... And although the food amount is huuge, its also pretty yummy.

ReputationRep:
    What relativist nonsense. Of course there is a country that is the best. You might not agree with the criteria used for choosing the best country, but it's possible to rank anything. Just because a country isn't the best in everything, doesn't mean that it's the best on average.

And anyone who's not able to show some support to a foreign country one day a year is the extreme nationalist
    America is not the best!! And no i will not show "foreign support" because they dont bloody deserve my support. You're the extreme nationalist for thinking that your beloved country is the best! Ha! On the contrary i think no country is the best. You cannot possibly classify a country as being the best without looking at every single criteria; which is impossible to do . Then again if you're so detrermined to show everyone how America is the BEST, then go ahead: id like to see a list of your criteria and comparisons to EVERY country in the world, and then once seeing this, you may come to your conclusion of how great your country is. Only then, will i agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know who posted this nonsense. I just saw it quoted by the above poster. It's probably best I dont know who wrote it though...

What relativist nonsense. Of course there is a country that is the best. You might not agree with the criteria used for choosing the best country, but it's possible to rank anything. Just because a country isn't the best in everything, doesn't mean that it's the best on average.

And anyone who's not able to show some support to a foreign country one day a year is the extreme nationalist
    do you think things through before you post??!!!
    Lets see which country is the best then. Which criteria shall we use?
    Economic data?
    social data?
    Policitical data?

How much shall we use? Do we include "what percentage of the population enjoys brussel sprouts?" as one of the factors? What weighting do we give to each factor? Do we include sporting prowess? average weight? No of supermodels per capita?

Different answers to these questions will give different "best" countries.

moron.

(Original post by Bismarck)
    You don't have a constitution so that's kind of meaningless. The fact is that your monarch had a great deal of say over appointments to diplomatic positions and over foreign policy.
    we do have a constitution. It's just not codified.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ickle titch]america? ....freedom? haha. your media is so propagandist that its stoopid...

What on earth does slanted media have to do with freedom itself?
    Fox news is right wing, NPR, is left wing, Most others are somewhere in the middle. And we get BBC news on PBS, so everyone has access to that if they wish, without having to pay a license fee I might add...

"i was out there for a month, and wanting to watch the world news, was unable to! 55 mins was national news, and 5 mins was left for world news and sport and stock exchanges."

The world news is on PBS, generally. McNiel Lehre, Frontline, BBC are all free...

"There are many people who are intellectually challenged...its upsetting sometimes the things some people say, or rather dont say. "

There ae smart and stupid people everywhere, in every country. So please clarify your statement, unless you mean to say that many of us are dumb as bricks.

"USA is one of the worlds largest energy wasters and pollution makers"

While it's true to a certain extent, you have to look at this in relation to our GDP. And have you ever been in a big city in India? Much more polluted. You can smell it in the air.

"...the food portions given in restaurants are huge...we ordered only one meal between 2 of us everytime we were in a restaurant (except in san fran), and we were satisfied. Oh, and also...why is the bread sweet???!!!! "

Why on earth does this even matter? It's like saying the english breakfast is too greasy...might be true, but you can always order a fruit bowl.

" Unforgettable moment was talking to a Navajo indian lady about their culture and history"

That's odd, on this board many brits think americans don't have any culture at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle titch)
    america? ....freedom? haha. your media is so propagandist that its stoopid...i was out there for a month, and wanting to watch the world news, was unable to! 55 mins was national news, and 5 mins was left for world news and sport and stock exchanges.
    There are many people who are intellectually challenged...its upsetting sometimes the things some people say, or rather dont say.
    USA is one of the worlds largest energy wasters and pollution makers...the food portions given in restaurants are huge...we ordered only one meal between 2 of us everytime we were in a restaurant (except in san fran), and we were satisfied. Oh, and also...why is the bread sweet???!!!!
    Assuming you to be British, thankyou for successfully embarassing us as well as yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Assuming you to be British, thankyou for successfully embarassing us as well as yourself.
    I like to see assertions substantiated...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    I like to see assertions substantiated...
    Any assertion in particular?

ReputationRep:
    Something to the effect of "congratulations on being a ******" in response to ickle titch!

edit: how is 'piss' worse than "to tard again"?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Something to the effect of "congratulations on being a ******" in response to ickle titch!

edit: how is 'piss' worse than "to tard again"?!
    Sorry, youve lost me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    ...is what I was referring to.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was embarrassed!

ReputationRep:
    Same here! I didnt exactly get the point ickle titch was trying to show/prove..?! By the way, Bismarck, im still waiting for a reply to my previous post about you demonstrating ways in which America seems to be the best country... If America really is that great then it shouldnt really take long to prove your argument surely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandra010588)
    Same here! I didnt exactly get the point ickle titch was trying to show/prove..?! By the way, Bismarck, im still waiting for a reply to my previous post about you demonstrating ways in which America seems to be the best country... If America really is that great then it shouldnt really take long to prove your argument surely!
    -Higher per capita income from any country with over a million people.
    -Having a 25% of the world's GDP.
    -Arguably the most economic freedoms in the world
    -Military presence in every part of the globe
    -Ability to influence policy in every corner of the world
    -Land of opportunity, where anyone who's willing to dedicate the time and the effort can succeed at the highest levels
    -Magnet to immigrants from every part of the world
    -Far and away the most powerful country in the world (for now)
    -A history uninterrupted by coups or revolutions, even though nearly a quarter of our presidents died while in office
    -A country that has done more to preserve freedom and democracy in the world over the last 65 years than the entire world combined.

ReputationRep:
    -A history uninterrupted by coups or revolutions, even though nearly a quarter of our presidents died while in office
    erm, you must be joking, right? :rolleyes:

Regardless, clearly you can see that you are simply choosing your own criteria to suit your own specific ideals and formulating an answer.

Being the 'best' is wholely subjective and cannot be decisively described in objective terms.

ReputationRep:
    -Higher per capita income from any country with over a million people.

-Arguably the most economic freedoms in the world

The country with the highest per capita income in the world is Norway, which has more than a million citizens.

According to this year's Index of Economic Freedom, America is joint twelfth in the world for 'economic freedoms'; Hong Kong is, again, number one. It is the first time that America has failed to be in the top ten.

ReputationRep:
    What was that little spot of bother 1861-1865 about then?

ReputationRep:
    A country that has done more to preserve freedom and democracy in the world over the last 65 years than the entire world combined
    Ha ha ha! Freedom? You call military interference in other countries affairs in order to get what they want, preserving freedom??? What utter crap! America interfers in everyones affairs, not because she has this genuine desire to help free people and offer them a democratic way of life! Heres an example of how your statement does not fit with facts: 1967-1974 in Greece, the fascist governement there was backed up by America concerning the problems in Cyprus between the GC and TC. Instead of trying to bestow peace and freedom, as you say America does, and try to resolve this problem peacefully, she was the one that backed up the military coup by Greece on the 15th July 1974 (through the provision of arms and munition) and then conviniently got out of the picture...hmm, so that would suggest that her job in bringing freedom to people had been completed then? WRONG!
    Additionally, seeing how bout looking at freedom in America itself in particular the maltreatment of the Blacks/ Coloured people in America! I suppose the government did try its best to get rid of the KKK and everything that had being going on concerning racial discrimmination and cruelty...NOT! It took how many years for black people to actually get some "freedom", which in essence wasnt really freedom because they were still subjected to cruelty esp in the South!

A history uninterrupted by coups or revolutions, even though nearly a quarter of our presidents died while in office
    Just because no actual group overthrew the governement does not mean there was not opposition to the system. So many groups protested against the way the sustem was run and because of your extremely democratic system, they were put down so as not to spread the feeling of revolt like what had been going on in Europe.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but im still not convinced America is the best. And seriously, i think you should write down your criteria because the ones you listed previously, dont cover everything which would henceforth help to substantiate your argument.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.