Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how i would go about buying some new glasses? Im under 19 and in full time education which means i should get some kind of discount. I dont have an appointment due at my opticians for another year does this mean i cant get the discount on the nhs? Can i just go to another opticians and would i be able to get the nhs discount? Would i need to have an eye test there?

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    You can usually drop in any time and see the Optcian if they're not seeing anyone. If you're under 19 you do qualify for some discount although it isn't much. What sort of glasses are you looking for?

ReputationRep:
    i recommend titanium frames. they DONT break at all, i have sat on mine countless times and they are still fine.

ReputationRep:
    just normal ones for every day use, i know specsavers are doing a 2 for 1 offer so i will probaly go there, dont want to spend for than £100.

ReputationRep:
    Go for those ones then, unless you're looking for designer labels ones (where you'll end up forking out over £200).

ReputationRep:
    just phoned up specsavers, you only get a discount on nhs if your due for eye test and you prescription has changed, they said i wont have to have an eye test because i can give them my last prescription or they will phone my opticians and get it for me and then i will have to just choose my glasses.

has anyone bought any glasses from specsavers or bought them on the 2 for 1 offer?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Mine are from specsavers and they're good. i got my lenses from there as well, fantastic deal. I'd recommend them.

ReputationRep:
    how much did you pay for them? and how many did you get?

ReputationRep:
    specsavers are really good; good value, good selection and clear pricing. avoid optical express like the plague! They dont quote with lense price so u end up paying loads more than you expect.

ReputationRep:
    oh, so all the prices include lenses? anyone used the 2 for 1 offer? oh, how long does it take to make your glasses?

ReputationRep:
    Specsavers give you an NHS voucher for around £40-60 I think. I always use this voucher on a pair of specs from the NHS range....don't have to pay a penny and there really is no difference! My mum used the two for one offer and it was good as she is always losing one pair. It takes around a couple of weeks for your glasses to be ready to pick up with Specsavers. Do not go to Boots for glasses or eye tests....they failed to pick up on the fact that I'm long sighted and they were really nasty to us when we tried to take my Granny (who had severe Alzheimers) to get some glasses. x x x

ReputationRep:
    apparently you only get the nhs voucher if you are due for an eye test and your prescription changes, my test isnt due for another year which means i cant get the discount.

ReputationRep:
    Well just go for a pair of NHS ones anyways then....they're not too pricey. If your next eye test isn't for another year then wouldn't you have just got a new pair of glasses?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I went to Specsavers and they were really disorganised! I got the 2 for 1 offer, and so had one pair of glasses and one pair of sunglasses. They took a week I think, but they couldn't find them at first soI had to go back later.

And Specsavers like telling people they aren't do a test for another year. However, if you're under 19 you're supposed to have one every year, not every 2 like they say. So go somewhere else!

ReputationRep:
    well, specsavers isnt my opticians, i went to my normal oen and they said im not due for a while, specsavers said i could give them my last prescription or they could phoen my opticians for me and get it that way.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you feel your eyes have changed then you should be able to get another test anyway. If you just want new glasses then you can use your last prescription as long as it's current (ie less than 2 years old)

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i think it was less than 2 years since i had an eye test, so what would happen if when i have an eye test next and my eyes have changed will it mean i will have to buy new lenses for the new glasses i have just bought?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, you should get a voucher which means you get the lenses for free!

ReputationRep:
    oh, got ya. because i will only get the discount of my eyes have changed cant i just say my test is due next month, specsavers wont know when my test is due will they?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Specsavers are very fussy. If you'd gone somewhere else then they'd let you. But in my experience Specsavers will insist on phoning your last optician to check when the test was. But you can try it and see.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.