Turn on thread page Beta

Abbreviations Thread... watch

ReputationRep:
    This is for all of u who write in abbreviations and are sick of gettin stick 4 it. Abbreviations are a perfectly valid way of typing and gettin ur message across in informal threads.
    Abbreviations will never take the place of proper English, but they dont deserve their chavvy reputation. Who's wit me? <this is where i see this go horribly wrong>

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I have to disagree. It takes me longer to type in abbreviations than it does in normal English, and it takes me longer to read as well. Although I do use the occassional one, if I've run out of room in a text message or if saying things like "lol". :p:

ReputationRep:
    as long as ur not anal retentive about using proper english all the time thats fine
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by tishysquishy)
    This is for all of u who write in abbreviations and are sick of gettin stick 4 it. Abbreviations are a perfectly valid way of typing and gettin ur message across in informal threads.
    Abbreviations will never take the place of proper English, but they dont deserve their chavvy reputation. Who's wit me? <this is where i see this go horribly wrong>
    Well done!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who joins gets negged of moi!!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I only get weird about it if people make spelling errors in otherwise error free sentences, or if they use bad grammar. If I know it's meant to be abbreviated and it's not just ignorance, I don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverWings)

Thanks
    again, its the bigwigs or TSR land supressing the voices of the ickle people thru using their power of huge rep.... u shud b ashamed... power to the ickle ppl
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Thanks
    WHY THOUGH? Dosen't it make sense to confine all abbreviations to one thread? I think everyone should have the chance to speak however they like, so long as it isn't offensive.

I HATE abbreviations, but I respect the fact that some people wish to use them. I'm with tishysquishy all the way!

SO NEG REP ME PEOPLE! MWAHAHA!

ReputationRep:
    Why shouldn't people use abbreviations if they want?! Jeez, neg repping someone because they did something that's not even offensive and couldn't possibly upset anyone.

ReputationRep:
    again, its the bigwigs or TSR land supressing the voices of the ickle people thru using their power of huge rep.... u shud b ashamed... power to the ickle ppl
    Do you even know how much my rep is worth?? :rofl:

[EDIT] Am I a bigwig?? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    if u do hav a reputation thats bigger than i can fathom then ur kinda important and hav power etc etc

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: :eek: OMG. You've actually made an abbreviations thread? Why don't you make an abbreviations society too...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know...I have nothing against it and wouldn't neg rep someone if they used abbreviations. But I just think that it sounds and looks a bit too informal.

ReputationRep:
    Spell Correctly- Try not to litter your postings with errors. Also, TRY NT T WRT N TXT LNGGE WTH VWLS STRPPED T.

READ THE BLODY FAQ!!! it says right there you cannot talk in that way

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    dont be an arse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    dont be an arse
    :toofunny:

How is that being an arse??

ReputationRep:
    if u do hav a reputation thats bigger than i can fathom then ur kinda important and hav power etc etc
    EDIT the previous post: "I have nothing against it", but it can get annoying as it can take so long to decipher the code. For example I don't really understand the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestone)
    EDIT the previous post: "I have nothing against it", but it can get annoying as it can take so long to decipher the code. For example I don't really understand the above.
    Hehe... thats why I didn't reply...

ReputationRep:
    Hehe... thats why I didn't reply...
    lol at least I'm not the only one. I wonder how long it will be till I'm called stupid for not understanding "txt spk" or whatever it is.

ReputationRep:
    Do you even know how much my rep is worth?? :rofl:

[EDIT] Am I a bigwig?? :eek:

bigwig = an important person.
    u also implied that u hav a lot of 'rep power'
    if u hav a lot of 'rep power' then u are an important person, ergo, u are a 'bigwig'...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.