Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done it? Im getting an A for GCSE and was thinking of doing maths over a year instead of two because i think i may find it boring and as though i can achive more by doing it over one year? any input on this any math students?

ReputationRep:
    Other people will probably say it's possible, but I thought 2 years was only just enough time to complete the course. I got an A at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible and it leaves your options open for the next year.
    If you're prepared to work hard, teach yourself if necessary and enjoy the subject then it can be done.
    Bear in mind that you almost certainly won't be able to do it completely in lessons though and might have to motivate yourself even when you aren't necessarily enjoying a particular topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katycaresse)
    Has anyone done it? Im getting an A for GCSE and was thinking of doing maths over a year instead of two because i think i may find it boring and as though i can achive more by doing it over one year? any input on this any math students?
    Sure it's possible. I did Maths A level and AS further maths in my first year. I love Maths, so it was great fun. I would have done the extra A2 but I had my hands tied up with physics, economics, and computing (oh God, the computing coursework - that must have taken up most of my time )

It just needs determination and hard work. May be not so much hard word, but its easy to lose track and have your modules piling up. Make sure you stick to it, don't take them for granted, and enjoy! You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    i did it, i found it pretty easy, its just requires u to be good at maths

ReputationRep:
    In most schools, people who choose to do Further Maths do their Maths A2 in the first year. However, some don't, and instead mix FP modules and C modules over the two years, which means that you would also have to do the Further Maths A2.

ReputationRep:
    i have the option to do further maths but i dont have to, the option is there if i want it, but id just be continuin three subjects in second yr if i wanted 2, or i could pic up another subject

ReputationRep:
    i have done

A level
    maths
    physics
    media studies
    AS psychology

All in 1 year. I wasn't taught maths properly at all, i had to teach myself after i realised i wasn't learning anything in "class". I think i'll get a B, it's definatly possible to do it in one, especially if it's the only a level you are gonna do in one year.

ReputationRep:
    youll definitely be able to do that - it is exactly what i did this year aswell as sum retakes for chem, bio and physics. maths is the easiest subject to revise for - u just do loads of questions. i taught myself all of p5 and most of p4. i only started doing p5 about 6 weeks b4 the exam and i think i did ok. im doing further maths a level next year. to be honest i prefer doing it this way because the core content is more interesting hence it being fundamental to the maths course - it just means next year will be more boring for me - its just my opinion tho.

you will have to spend more time on maths than most tho - just make sure you go thru the whole book and do every type of question (if sum look the same just skip those altho u cant always tell wen theyre the same or different) - or u could just read the book and select a few questions as u go and then do all the exam papers. i say this because i did every question in all my books (except the stats ones) - thats p1,2,4 and 5. i found that alot of the questions were quite challenging and that alot of these kinds of questions werent asked on the exam papers ( my book was board specific also) but instead i did learn a hell of a lot about the maths i was doing by doing evry question. otherwise u may come out of ur a level being able to only answer excam questions but not alot of other maths similar.

anyway - i really enjoyed doing it this way - that is the a level maths in one year - its so helpful too as sum stuff is linked from module to module of the core and it is still fresh with u. so go for it - and get ahead - ryan750

ReputationRep:
    I did A Level Maths in one year, granted it was counted as a double so it becomes no harder than doing AS Maths and AS Physics in one year.

I assume you've made a huge mistake by not doing AS Maths in lower sixth (how could you ) and wish to do the whole A Level in upper sixth. It's possible, you'll just have to have a more dense timetable, you could always do AS Maths over the summer (I'm doing AS Physics over summer and have a friend doing A2 Maths over summer and then A Level Further Maths next year) and start just do A2 Maths with the rest of the Mathmos in your college.

ReputationRep:
    its possible, but i'm guessing you'll have to take all the responsibility for it.It'll take a lot of independent learning, but if you think you can do it you could try.

Surely you could try and do the full a-level and if you find you can't cope, just enter the as exams and get an as level?

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, providing you keep up with all the work and have a decent teacher

ReputationRep:
    Before you jump on the band wagon id think about it carefully if your doing so much maths (even though its a great subject) it could affect your other subjects especially doing 6 modules in one year although it certainly is possible, also i haev no doubt your well clever an A at GCSE imo doesnt mean you willbe good at a-level maths there is a big gap especially betweent he as modules (c1-c2) and a2 modules (c3-c4) perhaps just start a level maths as normal and if u find u really enjoy and can do it then go for it or even start as further maths if your that keen then if you think its to much or wotever u can cutit down to jsut a-level maths

Im not trying to insult anyone or anything i think just perhaps it would be wiser to tryout first before dedicating half your timetable to maths.

*runs for cover*

ReputationRep:
    It is entirely possible - i've done 7 maths modules this year - but be warned, you will be doing maths pretty much to the exclusuion of all your other subjects (and i'm not even a particularly consciencious "do all the exersizes in the book" type person either. I feel i did fairly well the minimum and it still took over all my other subjects...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katycaresse)
    well i also got an A at GCSE and i did maths and further maths which is in effect like the same number of modules as doing maths in one year and i thoguht it was ok so i dint see why you couldn't it depends on the set up and order of the modules though as to whever you have to do they all in june or if you can do some in jan

ReputationRep:
    I did M+FM and got timetabled teaching for both (i.e. I didn't have to independantly learn any topics ). I can't really comment on independant learning, but M+FM are really interesting subjects and I would urge you to take them, even if it means i) You devote half your timetable to it or ii) You have to do lots more work in your free time.

And if the worst happens and you can't cope with the work, you'll have more modules to make up your A-level (e.g. If you're rubbish at S1, you wouldn't have a rubbish mark bringing down your overall A-level garde because you wouldn't have to use it).

ReputationRep:
    -- The Answer:
    Is it possible in a year? Certainly.

-- Eas(y)(ier) Course:
    Maths has been made easier at A Level. The workload is more managable than ever before previously as one applied module has been removed from the course.

-- What I Did:
    I did chose to do Maths and Further Maths from September 2004. As FM was a fifth option I was only timetabled for normal maths and the FM was done mainly independently with a few hours of contact time a week (instead of free periods).

I covered C1 and C2 and half of M1 and S1 by Christmas. I took C1 and C2 in January and then started and finished C3 and C4 by June when I also took the M1 and S1 exams.

The January sitting is really good for maths and allows you to get loads out of the way (and retake if necessary).

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 6, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.