Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I wanted to know if I apply to do Medicine at say Leeds and then am accepted after my first year could I transfer to do Dentistry. Is this possible and if so could u give me ne info on this because I have been pretty sure I wanted do Dentistry but dont think i wll get the grades, so i am exp,loring other routes into the profession. If ne body knows any other routes into Dentistry cud u tell me bout them.

Cheers
    Haps

ReputationRep:
    the grades are the same for medicine and dentistry at leeds

ReputationRep:
    Aren't dentalism grades usually a fraction lower than med?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Aren't dentalism grades usually a fraction lower than med?
    That's what I thought too, this thread makes no sense. If you want to do dentistry, apply for dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds ask for AAB for both Medicine and Dentistry starting Sept 2006.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelisa)
    Leeds ask for AAB for both Medicine and Dentistry starting Sept 2006.
    When I applied for Medicine the grades needed for Dentistry were on average a bit lower, but obviously it varies from course to course. Even if that has changed, my point was simply that Medicine is not a backdoor route into Dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    When I applied for Medicine the grades needed for Dentistry were on average a bit lower, but obviously it varies from course to course. Even if that has changed, my point was simply that Medicine is not a backdoor route into Dentistry.
    Yeah they probably were lower (I only have to get a C in Chem to get in - so can't comment on this years entry requirements) - and I agree with what you said about Med and Dent (and vice versa) - though the person starting the thread really should be aware of both sets of requirements.

Just had a look at the requirements for a few unis on UCAS (dentistry) - AABs all the way(or AABc for GKT!!)

ReputationRep:
    It's harder to get into medicine than dentistry, even if they say they want the same grades. For medicine they'll be wanting so much more, they'll be assessing you more as a person and your work experience and extra curricular activities.

Your master plan won't work, you're more likely to get into dentistry if you apply for that. And even if you did get into medicine, you probably couldn't transfer onto such a 'popular' course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    It's harder to get into medicine than dentistry
    No it isn't, Dentistry is the hardest to get into.
    But equally you shouln't use either as a backdoor route to the other. I couldn't see any Medical/Dental school taking you seriously if one minute you tell them you want to do one and the next your wanting to do the other :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    No it isn't, Dentistry is the hardest to get into.
    But equally you shouln't use either as a backdoor route to the other. I couldn't see any Medical/Dental school taking you seriously if one minute you tell them you want to do one and the next your wanting to do the other :confused:
    Then why are requirements usually lower for dentistry? In maaany uni's :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Have you bothered to look at the requirements for every uni offering medicine and dentistry then? - and number of universities for each subject?

Oh and yes of course you are absolutely right - to be a dentist you just need to get the grades - they don't even interview you let alone care how much work experience you have done!!!!!!!

Whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Then why are requirements usually lower for dentistry? In maaany uni's :confused:
    Because Hawk is wrong. No offence.

ReputationRep:
    Have you bothered to look at the requirements for every uni offering medicine and dentistry then? - and number of universities for each subject?

Oh and yes of course you are absolutely right - to be a dentist you just need to get the grades - they don't even interview you let alone care how much work experience you have done!!!!!!!

Whatever.
    No one is saying Dentistry isn't very competitive! I don't believe Dentistry would become a harder profession to enter than Medicine in the space of two years though, which is when I had to go through the same process of applying to unis etc.

ReputationRep:
    :banghead:........................

ReputationRep:
    :banghead:........................
    Sorry...

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for a pre-med thing...it's like a 1-year course that's tailored for people who haven't got A Levels in Bio and Chem, I think...then you can go on to the Dentistry course from that, I believe.

Don't apply for Medicine unless you wanna do Medicine. It wouldn't make sense for you and it'd deprive someone who really wanted to do Medicine of a place.

ReputationRep:
    Foundation years exist for both medicine and dentistry courses - but they are not interchangable - they are specifically for people who either want to study one or the other not chop and change.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've looked at every uni that offers medicine, and corresponding dentistry requirements, thanks for asking.

Whatever.
    Shesh, I'm just saying it's not as competitive and the selection process is different. For dentistry you work hard at uni, you graduate, then working as a dentist is a lot more relaxed. For medicine, you work hard at uni and you've only just begun- you have to then complete years more of exams, cope with life and death in a far more stressful career etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    oh YAWN! that just demonstrated a complete lack of knowing what the dental profession is about. So on that note I shall leave you all to enjoy ur applications to medical school! (apart from you SBailey!)

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    oh YAWN! that just demonstrated a complete lack of knowing what the dental profession is about. So on that note I shall leave you all to enjoy ur applications to medical school! (apart from you SBailey!)

Good luck.
    This wasn't meant to become a "bash dentists" thread. I have the same respect for a dentist as I do for a doctor or for anyone else who has shown the same dedication. The only point I was trying to make is that it is not harder to get onto a dentistry course than a medical course - not because it particularly bothers me either way, but because I thought this was accepted to be the case. I've looked at a few web pages in the past 10 mins and found that King's College London does have a higher applications per place ratio for dentistry compared to medicine, although they are not significantly different. I hope that makes you warm and fuzzy inside. :p:

Anyway, conclusion of the thread (hopefully): Dentistry is hard. Medicine is hard. Applying for one just so you can chop and change once you get there is a dumb idea.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.