Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Time travel is indeed possible and can be described as entering another plane of the universe. :bandit:

Read more about John Titor, a real time travellor, who time travelled to the past from 2036 to 1976, and returned to the future within 6 months. He described precisely the critical events of 9/11, the wars. He also talked about how Earth will be in the future years.

http://johntitor.strategicbrains.com/

ReputationRep:
    It is said you can time travel when two black holes connect together in some sort of warp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    It is said you can time travel when two black holes connect together in some sort of warp.
    yes, this is true, this is how John Titor travelled from black holes, requiring a lot of energy.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with that is that a black hole isn't actually a hole, it is just a very dense (infitely dense according to some people) point left when the iron core of a star collapses.

ReputationRep:
    A black hole does have infinite density, but this is exactly the property that allows it to be a good time travel container.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vijay1)
    A black hole does have infinite density, but this is exactly the property that allows it to be a good time travel container.
    The only way that a black hole can be used to travel in time would be positioning yourself on the event horizon and slowing down time for you so you would be able to see the world long after you would have otherwise died.

Also there is the problem of there being no black holes anywhere near the solar system so not only would it take years to get to any black hole (since it is not possible to travel at the speed of light), so many generations of people would be needed to make it to the black hole, even before having the time travel to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    The problem with that is that a black hole isn't actually a hole
    Who told you this for a definite? We don't even know enough about our own planet let alone black holes.

ReputationRep:
    I read about John Titor...sounds a load of bull to me. He is probably alive now btw, if it's true.

ReputationRep:
    Who told you this for a definite? We don't even know enough about our own planet let alone black holes.
    umm...stephen hawking had quite a lot to say about black holes, and i'm not gonna argue with the big stevie h.

ReputationRep:
    The only way that a black hole can be used to travel in time would be positioning yourself on the event horizon and slowing down time for you so you would be able to see the world long after you would have otherwise died.

Also there is the problem of there being no black holes anywhere near the solar system so not only would it take years to get to any black hole (since it is not possible to travel at the speed of light), so many generations of people would be needed to make it to the black hole, even before having the time travel to deal with.
    I don't know why you have so many fixed ideas about black holes and speed of light :confused: (just remember the exact speed of light is not exactly 3x10^8 m/s, its slightly lower!)

Our knowledge of the universe is changing very fast aswell, at the speed of light!
    I'll believe what you say if you provide some evidence of your experience with black holes. :p: :bandit:

ReputationRep:
    It explains the formation of black holes and, although it is just a theory, it has more viability than the theory of there being 'white holes' since none have ever been found.

ReputationRep:
    just remember the exact speed of light is not exactly 3x10^8 m/s, its slightly lower!
    no it's not. it's 3.01 x 10^8 to 3sf and hence is slightly higher.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you have so many fixed ideas about black holes and speed of light :confused: (just remember the exact speed of light is not exactly 3x10^8 m/s, its slightly lower!)

Our knowledge of the universe is changing very fast aswell, at the speed of light!
    I'll believe what you say if you provide some evidence of your experience with black holes. :p: :bandit:
    Be that as it may, you still would not be able to rreach the nearest black hole within the lifetime of a human, especially not at that point in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, when Time travelling, when in the past or furture, a person will able to observe himself in the past or the future and hence change situations, and influence things. Yet this is only for the reason that when time travelling, your actually in a higher dimension, I think it may be the 5th dimension relative to our own.

Its like a reflection parallel of our own universe onto an axis which is the higher dimension which in itself is a lower dimension then another dimension above it.

Which all form to give 11 dimensions and are complete reflections of the same universe (i.e. our own) all dimensions held together by the forces of gravity.

ReputationRep:
    Be that as it may, you still would not be able to rreach the nearest black hole within the lifetime of a human, especially not at that point in the future.
    Indeed not in our lifetime, yet note that John Titor was in the year 2036, and many astronomical machinery had been made (described by John Titor, himself during his stay for 6 months) these 'advanced' machinery passed beyond the speed of light.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, when Time travelling, when in the past or furture, a person will able to observe himself in the past or the future and hence change situations, and influence things. Yet this is only for the reason that when time travelling, your actually in a higher dimension, I think it may be the 5th dimension relative to our own.

Its like a reflection parallel of our own universe onto an axis which is the higher dimension which in itself is a lower dimension then another dimension above it.

Which all form to give 11 dimensions and are complete reflections of the same universe (i.e. our own) all dimensions held together by the forces of gravity.
    I suggested that it would be possible to view time in a non-linear manner earlier in the thread, please try to keep up.

ReputationRep:
    299,792,458 m/s.

ReputationRep:
    299,792,458 m/s.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Indeed not in our lifetime, yet note that John Titor was in the year 2036, and many astronomical machinery had been made (described by John Titor, himself during his stay for 6 months) these 'advanced' machinery passed beyond the speed of light.
    My point is that 2032 is not even 30 years in the future. Now, unless someone has found a way of breaking the light speed barrier (since at present an infinite amount of energy would be required), I doubt the validity of this story.

ReputationRep:
    please try to keep up.
    Sorry I don't reall think/read at the speed of light!

Anyway we are talking about time travel so why should I worry about *trying to keep up*. Let me explore the past. :bandit:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.