Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Recently i got bad rep with the word 'offensive' in the comment box. Though the person did not leave their name. What's so wrong about being offensive? If its not harm, does it matter?

Of course no one likes being insulted or their views being insulted but does this warrant punishment, whether it be done by the law or through bad rep?

ReputationRep:
    Because being offensive *does* do harm - it hurts people's feelings. Therefore, it matters.

ReputationRep:
    what exactly did you say that was supposingly offensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    Because being offensive *does* do harm - it hurts people's feelings. Therefore, it matters.
    Well modern art hurts my feelings, so should it all be burned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    what exactly did you say that was supposingly offensive?
    This, in reference to reading the koran:

In fact i have read it and found it disgusting. I threw it in the bin to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    Well modern art hurts my feelings, so should it all be burned?
    That's different though, so you can't use it as a valid comparison.

ReputationRep:
    ...you seriously wonder why you got -ve rep for that?

ReputationRep:
    That's different though, so you can't use it as a valid comparison.
    Why? Whats so different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlafraid)
    ...you seriously wonder why you got -ve rep for that?
    I'm questioning whether it was right to do so. If someone said they found Capitalism: the Unknown Ideal disgusting and threw it in the bin i would not neg rep them.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Whats so different?
    Which pieces of modern art do you have in mind? You need to consider whether this art is *deliberately* offensive.

ReputationRep:
    Considering all the charges that US forces have had thrown at them for alledged disrepect of the Qu'ran in Abu Ghraib, you perhaps shouldn't be surprised that some Muslims take offense at the disrespecting of their holy book. Not that I agree with the neg repping. But it is a feature of this message board that is always going to be contentious and abused by some people, I guess you deal with it or leave. Or become a subscriber, find out who did it, and take revenge...

ReputationRep:
    Which pieces of modern art do you have in mind? You need to consider whether this art is *deliberately* offensive.

For example the work of Tracy Emin. Who, in my opinion, is deliberately offensive as it leads to attention. Also you seem to now being saying its ok to be offensive as long as its not deliberate, but the comment i made about the Koran for example was not deliberately offensive, rather it was the truth. I did not choose to be offensive, rather someone chose to interpretet in that manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alewhey)
    Considering all the charges that US forces have had thrown at them for alledged disrepect of the Qu'ran in Abu Ghraib, you perhaps shouldn't be surprised that some Muslims take offense at the disrespecting of their holy book. Not that I agree with the neg repping. But it is a feature of this message board that is always going to be contentious and abused by some people, I guess you deal with it or leave. Or become a subscriber, find out who did it, and take revenge...

I accept their right to neg rep me, though what i am questioning is whether it is morally right to do that just because you feel offended, rather i think people should do it because someone has not answered your questions, made a poor argument etc. Also why do many people not leave their names, why do they behave like cowards. Of course there are occasions when a name is not needed as it is obvious who gave you a neg rep since they were the only person debating with you for exampe.

ReputationRep:
    For example the work of Tracy Emin. Who, in my opinion, is deliberately offensive as it leads to attention. Also you seem to now being saying its ok to be offensive as long as its not deliberate, but the comment i made about the Koran for example was not deliberately offensive, rather it was the truth. I did not choose to be offensive, rather someone chose to interpretet in that manner.
    Where did I say it's ok to be unwittingly offensive? I don't think it's ok - but it's not as bad as being deliberately rude, offensive etc., particularly if, when the person finds out that they have been offensive, then they apologise.

In any case, how difficult is it to tell that being disrespectful about a religion's holy book is going to offend people?

ReputationRep:
    I'm questioning whether it was right to do so. If someone said they found Capitalism: the Unknown Ideal disgusting and threw it in the bin i would not neg rep them.
    but ur opinion on capitalism isnt as strong as sum ppl's views on their religion. even if u do not agree with that view; saying it in that way doesnt take into account the feelings of other people, and makes it seem that u are a narrowminded racist who is using a flippant statement because u havetn thought this thru fully, or bothered to think it thru fully.

If you had constructed a proper argument on ur views, then u probably wudnt hav been neg repped

ReputationRep:
    For example the work of Tracy Emin. Who, in my opinion, is deliberately offensive as it leads to attention.
    Please elaborate. How is leading to attention being 'deliberately offensive'?

ReputationRep:
    Where did I say it's ok to be unwittingly offensive?
    I said you seem to be arguing given that you used the word deliberately.

I don't think it's ok - but it's not as bad as being deliberately rude, offensive etc., particularly if, when the person finds out that they have been offensive, then they apologise.
    Why is it not ok. Don;t you think that it is conflict, as Mill argued, which leads to progress as our views and ways are challenged?

In any case, how difficult is it to tell that being disrespectful about a religion's holy book is going to offend people?
    No, your moving the goal posts, we;ve already establsihed this, my point is it right to punsih someone based on being offended (punishment by the law for example).

ReputationRep:
    Please elaborate. How is leading to attention being 'deliberately offensive'?

Again you fail to follow. You made the point about whether someone is deliberately offensive or not. I therefore suggest that Emin is deliberately offensive in order to get attention as the media of course reperts things which cause a stir. Thus she is being deliberately offensive, just like someone who says the bible is rot could be seen to be, but Emin is justfied whle the person who criticises the bible is not. Is this fair?

ReputationRep:
    but ur opinion on capitalism isnt as strong as sum ppl's views on their religion.
    Well i'd love to know how you know that. I wish i had the abilty to know how much someone values their beliefs. Do you also think that just because someone's belief has a god -head it means that there the one's with moralty while those who beleive in say capitalism have no morality and therefore they don't attach as much importance to their beliefs?

even if u do not agree with that view; saying it in that way doesnt take into account the feelings of other people, and makes it seem that u are a narrowminded racist who is using a flippant statement because u havetn thought this thru fully, or bothered to think it thru fully.
    Feelings of others? What about the truth? What about my feeling that its right to speak your mind? What about my feeling when i see a 1960s building. I feel offended but i don't go and act on that offence by blowing it up. Others do act on that offence.
    If you had constructed a proper argument on ur views, then u probably wudnt hav been neg repped
    You should read the debate before making a judgement. I made very sound arguments, that was not merely my only comment. Get informed and than come back to me.

ReputationRep:
    I said you seem to be arguing given that you used the word deliberately.
    Well, I'm sorry if I didn't make myself absolutely clear.

Why is it not ok. Don;t you think that it is conflict, as Mill argued, which leads to progress as our views and ways are challenged?
    It is not completely ok because it still offends someone, regardless of whether you actually intended it to be that way or not.

No, I don't think conflict can be the only thing that leads to progress; and progress is not the only result of conflict.

No, your moving the goal posts, we;ve already establsihed this, my point is it right to punsih someone based on being offended (punishment by the law for example).
    No, I'm not moving the goalposts. It was a rhetorical question expressing increduality - you needn't have answered, as it was merely an aside.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.