Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just because one has the right does not mean one should use it.
    Why shouldn't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    I don't believe I am a 'closed-minded moron' I believe that people who don't give others the chance to express themselves are. These people miss out on the opportunities to learn and debate against people, and therefore expanding their views. I pity this ill-informed and uneducated people.
    Exactly - Like asking someone a question and then answering it for them.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    Exactly - Like asking someone a question and then answering it for them.. :rolleyes:
    That makes no sense, speak ENGLISH :stupid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Why shouldn't they?
    I'm opposed to punishing someone for having an opinion whether it offends someone or not. Offence is a central dynamic of society, it leads to progress as it challenges notions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    I'm opposed to punishing someone for having an opinion whether it offends someone or not. Offence is a central dynamic of society, it leads to progress as it challenges notions.
    You harp on about liberty, yet are opposed to people exercising it. Negative rep is hardly "punishment".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    That makes no sense, speak ENGLISH :stupid:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7&postcount=39

^Example of asking someone a question and answering it for them without even giving them a chance. Highly rude if you ask me - and you've just stated you agree

Good night

ReputationRep:
    You harp on about liberty, yet are opposed to people exercising it. Negative rep is hardly "punishment".

If you had bothered to read my posts you would know neg rep was the example, not the crux of the the argument. Furthermore you fail to realise that just because one has the right to do something (give neg rep) does not mean one should. I'm not opposed to people exercing, if they wish they can, but i question their reasosn for doing it. People should give neg rep for a bad argument for example, not because it is 'offensive'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7&postcount=39

^Example of asking someone a question and answering it for them without even giving them a chance. Highly rude if you ask me - and you've just stated you agree

Good night

I think your just someone who is looking for an argument. I really don't see what your getting at.

ReputationRep:
    I think your just someone who is looking for an argument. I really don't see what your getting at.
    Don't worry - you can't argue with someone you're blocking..

ReputationRep:
    If you had bothered to read my posts you would know neg rep was the example, not the crux of the the argument. Furthermore you fail to realise that just because one has the right to do something (give neg rep) does not mean one should. I'm not opposed to people exercing, if they wish they can, but i question their reasosn for doing it. People should give neg rep for a bad argument for example, not because it is 'offensive'.
    Again you are exposing your double standards. If I possess a liberty, I can exercise it for whatever reason - or no reason at all - without the need to justify it to anyone, let alone you. If something is a liberty, you should expect it to be exercised - without it needing a reason. If you feel so strongly about it, may be you should be more authoritarian on that front, just as Thatcher was.

ReputationRep:
    Again you are exposing your double standards. If I possess a liberty, I can exercise it for whatever reason - or no reason at all - without the need to justify it to anyone, let alone you. If something is a liberty, you should expect it to be exercised - without it needing a reason. If you feel so strongly about it, may be you should be more authoritarian on that front, just as Thatcher was.

Why can't you understand this simple concept? All should do as they wish as long as they do not infringe the eqaul rights of antoher. Nitice the world all. Thus i do not have double standards. I merely think that one should have the sense to use that liberty correctly. For example i think people should have the liberty to use cocaine, however i would not use it myself as i have the sense to see it may be bad for me and am not prepared to take the risk.

ReputationRep:
    People shouldn't give neg-rep at all. Moderators can deal with bul**hit, all else should be argued with goodwill, petty private punishments are for children.

The facility also makes it possible for people to accidentally give bad rep when the opposite was intended... :rolleyes: ...can't moderators fix that?

ReputationRep:
    For example i think people should have the liberty to use cocaine, however i would not use it myself as i have the sense to see it may be bad for me and am not prepared to take the risk.
    That isn't a relevant example in this case.

If you supported true liberty, you would defend the right to be "offensive" just as you would defend the right for someone to give neg rep for those "offensive" comments. No one's liberty is affected in this case - your rights are not being affected by someone neg repping you.

ReputationRep:
    No me neither I don't know what he's meaning here? That link he sent was ages ago, he's obviously been holding on to it to try and make some sort of point. Never mind.

ReputationRep:
    That isn't a relevant example in this case.

If you supported true liberty, you would defend the right to be "offensive" just as you would defend the right for someone to give neg rep for those "offensive" comments. No one's liberty is affected in this case - your rights are not being affected by someone neg repping you.

But i do support their right to be offensive. I would not take away their right to do so. Equally i support my right to condemn and so perhaps offend them for giving me neg rep. My point is and always has been that the idea that offence = you should be punished is wrong. And the cocaine example is relavant if you can't see that there's something wrong with your brain.

You actually seem to be agreeing with me, which makes me thing you are only doing this becase you want to argue. I never said anyone's liberty is affected by giving neg rep i made the point that offence does not justify punishment. Rather it is wrong to punish someone because you feel hurt. They have the right to give neg rep, but that does not make it right.

ReputationRep:
    . Rather it is wrong to punish someone because you feel hurt.
    People hardly punish you if you give them sweets :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    People hardly punish you if you give them sweets :rolleyes:

What?!? You are a very confused boy.

ReputationRep:
    What?!? You are a very confused boy.
    I got what he meant, but it was taken out of context methinks..

If you hurt someone's feelings though, they're not going to be best pleased. And not everyone in this world is the kind to just either take it on the chin or answer back. Some prefer a more violent approach or, in the case of the person involved, they decided to try and hit your rep, presuming that that is where it'll hurt you most (on a public forum, anyway..)

ReputationRep:
    I got what he meant, but it was taken out of context methinks..
    Very out of context.

If you hurt someone's feelings though, they're not going to be best pleased. And not everyone in this world is the kind to just either take it on the chin or answer back. Some prefer a more violent approach or, in the case of the person involved, they decided to try and hit your rep, presuming that that is where it'll hurt you most (on a public forum, anyway..)

So we should not offend someone because we fear violence? A pupil offends a bully bt telling them where to go but risks being attacked, was he wrong to do this? Should he have just kept quiet?

ReputationRep:
    So we should not offend someone because we fear violence? A pupil offends a bully bt telling them where to go but risks being attacked, was he wrong to do this? Should he have just kept quiet?
    You know as well as I do that there are times when it's better not to say anything.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.