Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who here has an intership, what are you going to be doing, working on? How did you find your job? What year of uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    im doing some kind of thing with HSBC in the emirates (dubai area) starting 2mro but i have no idea wat it is! lol... im just going to turn up and hope its something to do with investment banking......
    got the job cz they guy in charge or something like that is my mums cousin lol so iv got in through contacts basically. iv just finished my first year at uni.

ReputationRep:
    dont know if you can really call this an interenship......
    Im working for a Chinese commercial law firm in Shanghai, Pu Dong not far from the famous Jin Mao tower (it really is beautiful :champ: ). I'm here for only a month but should be enough....for now! I'm working on various deals doing research for my supervisor on foreign investment into china and the EU (something he doesnt have much knowledge about).

I'm on a GAP yr and so uni for me start in september! I got the job through a GAP placements firms and have to say they are VERY efficient in what they do and they do take care of you. Back to work.....

Mandeep

ReputationRep:
    can anyone set up a former A-level mathmo:rolleyes: - had no luck looking for an internship all year

pk

ReputationRep:
    What's the Gap year Placement firm called, Khalsa1846?

ReputationRep:
    doing 7months working experience in financial controller of a european mining company from sweden. Just something to do after 6months stupid military service i had to do lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm working in the back office for a month at ABN Amro

ReputationRep:
    damn people how are you getting these places. I have never done any work for anyone besides my dad. did u ring up places etc. do they interview you, difficult questions etc

ReputationRep:
    my friend who is the laziest arse you will ever meet just found out his dad knows the vice president of credit suisse and hes said he'll basically sort him out for internhips this summer and next.
    and seriously my friend is soo lazy he does hardly any work and hasnt been making any effort with this IB stuff and there iv been slogging my guts out :rolleyes: i just guess thats how life works out!

ReputationRep:
    my friend who is the laziest arse you will ever meet just found out his dad knows the vice president of credit suisse and hes said he'll basically sort him out for internhips this summer and next.
    and seriously my friend is soo lazy he does hardly any work and hasnt been making any effort with this IB stuff and there iv been slogging my guts out :rolleyes: i just guess thats how life works out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    oh networking is very true, creating your own network is hardest. But people like your friend who is lazy will never make it in the real world or get very far so don't worry. To be honest i got this work placement kinda in the financial control because my dad knows the finance director, otherwise for a 1st year to get some job experience related to their course is tough without some sort of network.

obviously once you had one decent experience, any subsequent efforts to get a job is made easier. but you must make an effort to your job as well as make an effort to make yourself all rounded person. laziness won't get you very far or pure networking either, it obviously helps alot but in the end they will know your ability.

ReputationRep:
    I have a placement for 2 weeks this summer with a bulge bracket IB because my brother did a doctorate at Cambridge with the person who I am working for and therefore hooked me up. The finance director for a local building society also lives across the road from me and I have been offered some form of work placement there. It is definately who you know, not what you know.

ReputationRep:
    is it normal for someone heading to uni in september to have NO financial work experience? I have nothing man, nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb1986)
    is it normal for someone heading to uni in september to have NO financial work experience? I have nothing man, nothing!
    yes, you aren't expected to have that until penultimate year summer internships, even 1st year uni students have difficulty getting course related jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    yes, you aren't expected to have that until penultimate year summer internships, even 1st year uni students have difficulty getting course related jobs.
    true but dont you need atleast something to get that internship in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sb1986)
    true but dont you need atleast something to get that internship in the first place?
    yes but it doesnt necessarily have to be finance related tho that helps to show interest. u need things that show teamwork skills, ability to take initiative, and other general investment banker qualities. all of which can be done through extra curricular stuff. which is why you've got to really focus and excel at stuff other than academics. cz ull hardly talk any academics in the interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    yes but it doesnt necessarily have to be finance related tho that helps to show interest. u need things that show teamwork skills, ability to take initiative, and other general investment banker qualities. all of which can be done through extra curricular stuff. which is why you've got to really focus and excel at stuff other than academics. cz ull hardly talk any academics in the interviews.
    yep can't agree with more on that area. you have to get involved in these extra curriculum acitivities but making sure you get atleast high 2:1 in your first year overall results.

Once taking care of the basic grade requirement for your first year, instead of having in your first year and wasting your time drinking like many do, you get involved in socities, be committee member, volunteer in charities, participate various events, do extra certificates available in your university or elsewhere etc.

in the first year alone i did volunteering in a disable charity on business research, was committee member of a business/finance society, helping in SIFE, doing bloomberg certificates, Setting my own little organization, read all sort of financial mags to newspapers, while making sure my own grades stays atleast high 2:1 which they did. You just need to use full advantage of the time in your 1st year and 2nd and 3rd year is much more heavy in academics.
    If your 1st year summer priority is to get some sort of work exp in financial area not necessary anything great, but if not anything is better than doing nothing.

Oh and military experience is also advantage to you. Not that i like military but the experience will make your stronger candidate as you would have experienced what is mental pressure and other important issues like teamworks =)

But in the end remember to enjoy your time as well, an not burning yourself totally out, balance yourself, if you can't do so much, you can't. No point forcing yourself to do things you don't like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    yep can't agree with more on that area. you have to get involved in these extra curriculum acitivities but making sure you get atleast high 2:1 in your first year overall results.

Once taking care of the basic grade requirement for your first year, instead of having in your first year and wasting your time drinking like many do, you get involved in socities, be committee member, volunteer in charities, participate various events, do extra certificates available in your university or elsewhere etc.

in the first year alone i did volunteering in a disable charity on business research, was committee member of a business/finance society, helping in SIFE, doing bloomberg certificates, Setting my own little organization, read all sort of financial mags to newspapers, while making sure my own grades stays atleast high 2:1 which they did. You just need to use full advantage of the time in your 1st year and 2nd and 3rd year is much more heavy in academics.
    If your 1st year summer priority is to get some sort of work exp in financial area not necessary anything great, but if not anything is better than doing nothing.

Oh and military experience is also advantage to you. Not that i like military but the experience will make your stronger candidate as you would have experienced what is mental pressure and other important issues like teamworks =)

But in the end remember to enjoy your time as well, an not burning yourself totally out, balance yourself, if you can't do so much, you can't. No point forcing yourself to do things you don't like
    thanks man, good advice, you and mangomaz..thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Hope you guys can me a little bit out. I'm going to do Film and Television in this september. Middlesex and LondMet does offer a work placement for student in their final year. However, UWA,Aberystwyth doesn't provide work placement. As everyone knows, UWA is better than Middlesex and LondonMet. Is work placement really important? I'm really confused. In such case, which uni should i choose? Any comments are welcome. Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugenia99093)
    Hi everyone. Hope you guys can me a little bit out. I'm going to do Film and Television in this september. Middlesex and LondMet does offer a work placement for student in their final year. However, UWA,Aberystwyth doesn't provide work placement. As everyone knows, UWA is better than Middlesex and LondonMet. Is work placement really important? I'm really confused. In such case, which uni should i choose? Any comments are welcome. Thanks a lot.
    whats film and television gotto do with investment and finance

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.