Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Nono...it is not related. Coz i would to have some advices from you guys on internship. They only think i want to know is 'is work placement really that important?'

ReputationRep:
    the gap year company is called Teaching & Projects Abroad. They do loads of stuff and man im soooooo lucky that this firm does everything properly. One point with the law firm is that the work can be quite vague when given to you. I dont know if i mentioned it earlier but my Supervisor has very little knowledge of the working of the EU and its members and has asked me to compile information on the different regulatory bodies and other government agencies which are conducive or are involved in any way with Chinese investment (FDI's for those in the know).
    VERY WIDE AREA!!! But it gives you the knowledge to deal with foreign firms and i have a clearer idea of the problems firms are facing in setting up here and the questions they have. However it still disheartens you when you have 15 windows open on various businesses, councils, chambers of commerce etc...
    Sorry for the looong message.....bit of my heart pourings while i sit here after lunch!

Mandeep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    my friend who is the laziest arse you will ever meet just found out his dad knows the vice president of credit suisse and hes said he'll basically sort him out for internhips this summer and next.
    and seriously my friend is soo lazy he does hardly any work and hasnt been making any effort with this IB stuff and there iv been slogging my guts out :rolleyes: i just guess thats how life works out!
    Hey Mangomaz do you know if your freinds dad is thinking of adopting a son by any chance? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Guys, what do you think summer internship in Logistic with International organization helps in future to get job in finance? or its better not to do any internships rather those not related to finance? Thx!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure its best to have something than nothing, it may not be related to finance but I would think that it would show skills needed in all areas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WIUT)
    Guys, what do you think summer internship in Logistic with International organization helps in future to get job in finance? or its better not to do any internships rather those not related to finance? Thx!

the worst thing you can do to yourself is not working, any work gives you experience and new things to learn be it as low as cleaning a toilet, any simple job should be done better than others.

Be practical, do not always expect to get what you want straght in. yes it sounds all glamourous that (i am in financial service work exp) wow great but so what, its not end of the world if you don't get it. Sometimes you need to start from the bottom. There are plenty of other jobs you can show your ability which you can then market in future job applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HammaL)
    Hey Mangomaz do you know if your freinds dad is thinking of adopting a son by any chance? :p:
    lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not over the summer. During the academic year at a hedge fund. The guys specialize in derivatives arb and its a solid shop.

ReputationRep:
    ye im doing a summer internship at a finance company who deals with hedge funds..
    its quite interesting but still tough work...its a decent place to work..one week into it

ReputationRep:
    how do you get these places and what do you do? You probably wont have all the knowledge so where do they make you start, waht kind of work?

ReputationRep:
    I contacted them and they interviewed. Apparently I am the youngest guy they hired at their place so I get a more limited program. I know some of the finance so they are going to train me in their classes taught by senior traders/quants to their younger trader/quants. I supposed thats how they will eventually build up my knowledge base.

ReputationRep:
    basically my cousin knew one of the department managers and he told my cousin that they were looking for interns for the summer, i only had my interview for it 2 weeks back..along with an i.q. test

ReputationRep:
    yeh ok but it doesnt sound easy. Was the interview difficult or easy.

ReputationRep:
    interview was just normal becuase i have just finished my a levels but tthe I..Q. test was very very difficult

1 of the questions...
    theres only one word in the english dictionary that can be made out of all the letters of word INSATIABLE...what is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econ4m1t)
    interview was just normal becuase i have just finished my a levels but tthe I..Q. test was very very difficult

1 of the questions...
    theres only one word in the english dictionary that can be made out of all the letters of word INSATIABLE...what is it?
    cmon give us a clue

ReputationRep:
    i have no idea! lol i left it blank and till this day no1 can figure it out!

ReputationRep:
    Banalities.

ReputationRep:

1 of the questions...
    That does sound like a very good question to test IQ with as you either know it or you don't.

ReputationRep:

1 of the questions...

unless you are fluent and great at english, then its not really a question for you. certainly not for someone thats english language is not native one =P

ReputationRep:
    heh. I just got quantitative questions and questions about my previous trading experience.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.