Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    well
    Its clearly my grandma. If you want someone famous, Shakespeare.
    Cromwell was a shitbag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Cromwell was a shitbag.
    Hmm....I would agree with you about Cromwell being a t**t but, ironically he is a icon of many Lefties such as Charles Clarke....when he was Lord Protector, in effect he was fulfilling the role of a monarch even to the extent of dismissing Parliament in the same way as Charles did

ReputationRep:
    Hmm....I would agree with you about Cromwell being a t**t but, ironically he is a icon of many Lefties such as Charles Clarke....when he was Lord Protector, in effect he was fulfilling the role of a monarch even to the extent of dismissing Parliament in the same way as Charles did
    I know, I think maybe the extent of what he did in Ireland has been glossed over- it was astonishing to me that he did so well in the official poll a while ago. Frankly, I think we can do better. Shakespeare seems to be the one who's just the undisputed daddy of his field- I mean hav you ever read anyone who can do it like he did? I like Elizabeth Fry as well, and there are other personal idols of mine who aren't famous enough to warrant inclusion in the poll really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I know, I think maybe the extent of what he did in Ireland has been glossed over- it was astonishing to me that he did so well in the official poll a while ago. Frankly, I think we can do better. Shakespeare seems to be the one who's just the undisputed daddy of his field- I mean hav you ever read anyone who can do it like he did? I like Elizabeth Fry as well, and there are other personal idols of mine who aren't famous enough to warrant inclusion in the poll really.
    Yeah although susposedly, Cromwell was acting within the rules of war i.e if people did not surrender at first, they were to be given no further chances but, still that is a weak excuse because he was acting out of a religious instinct in my book...I personally would not vote for Shakespeare because of the myth that is his life whilst rumour has it that he nicked the plays off Marlowe....probably not true but, the former is the main reason for why I couldn't vote him as the greatest

ReputationRep:
    None of them and I can't believe someone voted for Shakespeare!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    None of them and I can't believe someone voted for Shakespeare!
    Shakespeare (or Francis Bacon or whoever he 'really' was) literally created the English language!!!

ReputationRep:
    Since you're a realively small island, I thought it would have been on of your great naval commanders. Drake, Nelson and the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Cromwell was a shitbag.
    shakespeare was boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    shakespeare was boring
    King Richard I. has anyone thought of mentioning this guy? He is after all at least one of the most historical lads to grace the land of rain. Oh and that little thing called the erm, uhmm, hmm ah yes.. The Crusades.

ReputationRep:
    i vote shakespeare out of the list, (though only cos dickens werent there) cos i think its great men of art, literature and music who are more important in forming a society and culture than generals and politicians

of course cromwell is massively important, but he raped and massacred the irish...and churchill was the greatest wartime leader ever, but a pretty average prime minister with shocking views on a lot of things

having said that, one man who wasnt even on the top100 bbc thing i dont think was the great man himself, Lord Keynes...definately in my top 10

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't Darwin there? He should at least be on the list, though I don't know if I'd vote for him

Richard I wasted huge amounts of people's hard-earned taxes to go and murder people who didn't believe in Christ. AND because of his money-wasting bloodshed his brother is now stuck with being known as the bad one because HE had to actually do the taxing to provide Richard with the money and equipment - when actually he was just trying to make the best of a bad job. So there

ReputationRep:
    well
    churchill

ReputationRep:
    Dickens was overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Dickens was overrated.
    I wouldn't agree...even if you didn't like his work, then the social impact of his work is quite amazing

ReputationRep:
    well
    I voted Churchill. Had it not been for him and the rest of britain during WW2, my grandfather would have been gassed to death. Love you Britain!

Btw: rumors sais Newton was a real *******, I dunno if its true though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    I voted Churchill. Had it not been for him and the rest of britain during WW2, my grandfather would have been gassed to death. Love you Britain!

Btw: rumors sais Newton was a real *******, I dunno if its true though...
    Churchill was an *******. Don't hear you complaining about him.

ReputationRep:
    John Maynard Keynes, as any Econ. student will tell you

Perhaps Alfred Marshall, still undecided!

ReputationRep:
    William Pitt the elder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Shakespeare (or Francis Bacon or whoever he 'really' was) literally created the English language!!!
    shakespear was a big fat liar & a cheat!
    ha stole a large amount of his work off other people!!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.