Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    bhleeding gums = unhealthy teeth. my dentist just goes round the gums with the metal prodder thing and says you can tell when people havent been keeping their teeth healthy is when the gums bleed as soon as they touch them.

how often do you brush your teeth? make sure twice a day for 3 minutes.. if you do that, stop eating sugary things late at night (even before you brush cos thats just as bad) and in between meals. if you dont do that, then consider getting listerine and floss and do that morning and night as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    bhleeding gums = unhealthy teeth. my dentist just goes round the gums with the metal prodder thing and says you can tell when people havent been keeping their teeth healthy is when the gums bleed as soon as they touch them.

how often do you brush your teeth? make sure twice a day for 3 minutes.. if you do that, stop eating sugary things late at night (even before you brush cos thats just as bad) and in between meals. if you dont do that, then consider getting listerine and floss and do that morning and night as well.
    It's always twice a day. Three minutes seems like such a long time though.

I gave up chocolate in April, so I don't really eat sugary stuff at all anymore.

I've never had a filling, seems weird that it's only now I'm getting problems.

I've got a mouthwash, so I'll see how that goes too.

ReputationRep:
    My sister had the problem and her dentist told her it's nothing to worry about - it only means her teeth aren't clean enough or something, so if she carries on brushing and ignoring the bleeding it'd get better. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    My sister had the problem and her dentist told her it's nothing to worry about - it only means her teeth aren't clean enough or something, so if she carries on brushing and ignoring the bleeding it'd get better. :confused:
    Sounds like she has a good dentist...

If my dentist says don't worry about it, I will personally find another one. Bleeding gums cannot be normal. It's making me paranoid and stuff.

Hope your sister has sorted it out now x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiley_Me)
    Sounds like she has a good dentist...

If my dentist says don't worry about it, I will personally find another one. Bleeding gums cannot be normal. It's making me paranoid and stuff.

Hope your sister has sorted it out now x
    Yeah but it did actually go away when she carried on. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    bhleeding gums = unhealthy teeth.
    ditto. and unhealthy gums. you have to make sure you brush your teeth thoroughly and floss. if your gums bleed whilst brushing, don't stop until the 2 minutes are up. if you continue brushing and flossing, you will definitely see a difference in time.

ReputationRep:
    I've always suffered from bleeding gums, well occasionally anywho, i was told the only way to stop them was to floss and brush the gums as well as your teeth. It actually works, as its supposed to stimulate the gums or something.

ReputationRep:
    For the past few weeks I have noticed that after I brush my teeth, my gums bleed.

Now they aren't painful, but when they bleed it takes a while for them to stop. I thought it was only in one area, but I have discovered that whenever I put pressure on my gums they bleed. In one area there is like a white film round the bottom of my gums.

I'm worried because I hear this could really affect my teeth in later life. I have booked a dentist appointment, but it's not until the 19th July, so I have a bit to wait yet.

I don't know what to do from now until then. I dread brushing my teeth because of it. I use an electric toothbrush, but I plan to stop using that and go and buy a soft toothbrush later on.

Does anyone else have any advice you could give me. I'm getting extremely paranoid I'm going to be toothless before I reach my twenties.

Thanks x
    i have it and im still waiting for my dentist to open up... getting kinda serious cause i need meds.
    mine started of like that. if your gums in any places start going a lil more read than usual... may be worth asking mainly the females on your family if there is a history of pirea going on there. that what my mum says im showing signs of... no if only the dentist will get its actualy together i need meds.. im quite happy with all my teeth in my mouth! lol

just to add if you think its that

oraldene is great for stoping the bleeding

ReputationRep:
    murphy

ReputationRep:
    To me it sounds like gingivitis or however it is spelt. Considering that someone previously posted they were advised to use gingigel (or whatever!) to treat it by their dentist. The name of this suggests it treats gingivitis, so I doubt the problem was caused by a hard toothbrush. Gingivitis is a form of gum disease. It occurs when you have not been cleaning your teeth and gums well enough I believe. The 'film' that you see also suggests that you are not cleaning your teeth and gums correctly, as it is probably a build up of plaque. Which I doubt is the cause of a hard toothbrush. I seriously think electric toothbrushes are better than normal ones, and make sure you floss (although I don't) and use mouthwash.

ReputationRep:
    So I went to my dentist, who consequently told me my teeth were perfect.

I told him about my gums, but he said I shouldn't worry and they will stop and it was due to plaque I had, which has now been removed.

However, it still hasn't cleared up, and it's annoying me now.

Should I go back?

For the past few weeks I have noticed that after I brush my teeth, my gums bleed.

Now they aren't painful, but when they bleed it takes a while for them to stop. I thought it was only in one area, but I have discovered that whenever I put pressure on my gums they bleed. In one area there is like a white film round the bottom of my gums.

I'm worried because I hear this could really affect my teeth in later life. I have booked a dentist appointment, but it's not until the 19th July, so I have a bit to wait yet.

I don't know what to do from now until then. I dread brushing my teeth because of it. I use an electric toothbrush, but I plan to stop using that and go and buy a soft toothbrush later on.

Does anyone else have any advice you could give me. I'm getting extremely paranoid I'm going to be toothless before I reach my twenties.

Thanks x
    Ive got the same problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maze.e)
    Ive got the same problem
    Sucks doesn't it?

ReputationRep:

Thanks x
    I had this, it was (the beginnings of) gum disease, and also me brushing too hard. The dentist gave me some tablets and now they don't bleed anymore. That was few years ago now though that I had that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -TMG-)
    I had this, it was (the beginnings of) gum disease, and also me brushing too hard. The dentist gave me some tablets and now they don't bleed anymore. That was few years ago now though that I had that.
    My dentist is crap though. Would a doctor be able to help, or would it have to be a dentist?

ReputationRep:
    My hygienist said that if you have bleeding gums, you should brush in that area more so as that all of the nasty bacteria are removed, and it works... And then use something like Listerine or that Dental pH mouthwash, to make sure that all the bacteria is killed or removed.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I had to use mouthwash too. Just tell your dentist your gums are bleeding and you think you have gum disease. Mine recognised it without me tellin him. Ask your doctor but I dunno what he could give you. I had two sets of tablets, one orange set and one blue set. Have no idea what was in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    My hygienist said that if you have bleeding gums, you should brush in that area more so as that all of the nasty bacteria are removed, and it works... And then use something like Listerine or that Dental pH mouthwash, to make sure that all the bacteria is killed or removed.
    Done all this, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Thanks though.

(Original post by -TMG-)
    Yeah I had to use mouthwash too. Just tell your dentist your gums are bleeding and you think you have gum disease. Mine recognised it without me tellin him. Ask your doctor but I dunno what he could give you. I had two sets of tablets, one orange set and one blue set. Have no idea what was in them.
    I want your dentist. Mine seems to believe my teeth are perfect.

The tablets sound a good idea. They must work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    Can confirm that doing the above seems to do the job after a short while.

ReputationRep:
    if you cant be bothered getting a softer brush, run yours under hot water to soften up the bristles.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.