Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do you have to pay to be able to copyright stuff or can you just slap a copyright on it and badabingbadabum its done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    do you have to pay to be able to copyright stuff or can you just slap a copyright on it and badabingbadabum its done?

yeah I think it costs

ReputationRep:
    Its like a patent, you would have to file for a copyright.

ReputationRep:
    well thats a kick to my plans. what about if i just "say" that its copyrighted accidently with a big banner across my website, would that be allowed? i cba to file for a copyright from a court or whatever

ReputationRep:
    well thats a kick to my plans. what about if i just "say" that its copyrighted accidently with a big banner across my website, would that be allowed? i cba to file for a copyright from a court or whatever

Suppose you could do that. Probably put people off, unless they bothered to check your claims

ReputationRep:
    well, actually, everything is copyrighted as soon as you publish it in any form you like. For example, what i am writing at the moment is copyrighted. And it does not cost a penny.

However, over more serious matters such as artistic rights to things like images, comics strips, films, sounds, it gets a little compicated.

I don't know the 'stuff' to downright detail, but here's what i know.

If you went into court to sue someone for breaching copyright laws, as they published a photograph that was originally posted on your website, and had a copyright notice underneath, you might probably win, but you won't get much in compensation of sorts. However if you did file for a copyright, then you would get probably lots for compensation.

However, the latter will cost you and will take some time. But if it is for more moneyworthy causes, then i would suggest that you file for one.

***copyright notice***
    if you quote as much as a single word from this post you are liable for costs for damages up to the vaule of 0.01 Great Britain Pound Sterlings
    ***end copyright notice***

im only messing with ya!

ReputationRep:
    you could do that, but there would be no legal consequence if they did copy it.

ReputationRep:
    In that case ill just "accidently" post a big copyright notice without filing. I doubt I'm gonna sell enough to make it worth while paying for it.
    taa for ur help peeps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    well, actually, everything is copyrighted as soon as you publish it in any form you like. For example, what i am writing at the moment is copyrighted. And it does not cost a penny.

However, over more serious matters such as artistic rights to things like images, comics strips, films, sounds, it gets a little compicated.

I don't know the 'stuff' to downright detail, but here's what i know.

If you went into court to sue someone for breaching copyright laws, as they published a photograph that was originally posted on your website, and had a copyright notice underneath, you might probably win, but you won't get much in compensation of sorts. However if you did file for a copyright, then you would get probably lots for compensation.

However, the latter will cost you and will take some time. But if it is for more moneyworthy causes, then i would suggest that you file for one.

***copyright notice***
    if you quote as much as a single word from this post you are liable for costs for damages up to the vaule of 0.01 Great Britain Pound Sterlings
    ***end copyright notice***

im only messing with ya!

ReputationRep:
    Actually here is a kinda kool way of copyrighting something, in a kinda more official way. NOt eactly official but more easy to prove.

Get what you want to copyright, say a couple of high quality A4 sized conceptual drawings for something. Then you go to a post office. Send the work in an envelope, inside another special delivery, signed for and dated, to your home address. When it gets there, don't open it. When the time comes for you to prove that you had the copyright for it, you could get the judge himslef to open it for the firts time, proving that you came up with the concept before the date stated on the envelope.

i havn't tried this before, but it should work. I think. Don't blame me if it don't work.

ReputationRep:
    Actually here is a kinda kool way of copyrighting something, in a kinda more official way. NOt eactly official but more easy to prove.

Get what you want to copyright, say a couple of high quality A4 sized conceptual drawings for something. Then you go to a post office. Send the work in an envelope, inside another special delivery, signed for and dated, to your home address. When it gets there, don't open it. When the time comes for you to prove that you had the copyright for it, you could get the judge himslef to open it for the firts time, proving that you came up with the concept before the date stated on the envelope.

i havn't tried this before, but it should work. I think. Don't blame me if it don't work.
    lol original. however not entirely practical from a clumsy, unorganised students POV though

ReputationRep:

That's a well known, simple, but effective method to prove an idea was yours first.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    right, im sueing the lot of you for breaching copyright laws.

hand over 3 pence, or ill 'ave you!

Just kidding!!!!

ReputationRep:

Just kidding!!!!
    Here's your 3 pence, hey wait I never posted here, give it back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Here's your 3 pence, hey wait I never posted here, give it back!
    NO fear I've got ya covered. I just rolled a guy named Toffee in the alley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    NO fear I've got ya covered. I just rolled a guy named Toffee in the alley
    :confused: simple minded and naive as i am, i dont get it...

ReputationRep:
    Are people allowed to take other peoples sigs, i'v already seen some1 with my sig

ReputationRep:

I only have 2 pence and 3 moths. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ƒlå®è®)
    Are people allowed to take other peoples sigs
    Yeah, I think it's allowed.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.