Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey

can u apply for different courses on your ucas form?

because i dont know whether i want to go into business management or psychology. i enjoy business management but i dont know whether a pure business management degree will bore me too much.. i think psychology would be more interesting. there is one university where they do a business management degree and you do the core and compulsary modules, but the optional modules u can do from another department (e.g. psychology!). this course iz really good and i want to do it, but no other business management degrees at other unis have this option.. so i dont want to put all business managaement degrees on my ucas form incase i dont get into the uni i want to. so i was thinking of putting this course on my form and also psychology courses, but..

my head of 6th form says i have to pick and decide because i cant sound undecisive in my personal statement, because i need to pick what i want to do and write my personal statement around that?

em xxx

ReputationRep:
    technically you can do it, but you would also need to direct your P.S towards your chosen course and that would be hard if there were 2. Uni's could pick up that you have applied for different course and then you might not seem as dedicated to their couse and could get rejected. Have you not looked into more courses that do business and psychology together? Maybe you could think about doing a joint degree

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities allow you to take optional modules from other schools, i'm suprised you can only find one that does. xx

ReputationRep:
    It will be very difficult to adapt yóúr ucas form for both.

ReputationRep:
    hmm yea. i live in london and i want to stay at home (mostly for financial reasons) so that limits the universities i can apply for. the only unis that do business and psych joint are kingston and london met.. which both have quite poor reputations for themselves?

it says in the prospectus if unis let you take modules from other departments doesnt it? or do you get that option when you start the course?

thanks

m xxx

ReputationRep:
    if you cant find it anywhere just give the uni a call and find out from them, they will be able to give you more specific advice for the courses that they do

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine apllied for Law and Actuarial Science and she got all 6 offers. Proof you CAN apply for totally different subjects.

I guess in this case you need to emphasis alot on what a good student you are, rather than "i love doing law,.. I love doing maths.. blabla" you know? Write general statements about yourself that shows you are a responsible person and a hardowrking student. Should be enough to impress them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em444)
    hey

can u apply for different courses on your ucas form?

because i dont know whether i want to go into business management or psychology. i enjoy business management but i dont know whether a pure business management degree will bore me too much.. i think psychology would be more interesting. there is one university where they do a business management degree and you do the core and compulsary modules, but the optional modules u can do from another department (e.g. psychology!). this course iz really good and i want to do it, but no other business management degrees at other unis have this option.. so i dont want to put all business managaement degrees on my ucas form incase i dont get into the uni i want to. so i was thinking of putting this course on my form and also psychology courses, but..

my head of 6th form says i have to pick and decide because i cant sound undecisive in my personal statement, because i need to pick what i want to do and write my personal statement around that?

em xxx
    Yes, you can apply to different courses through UCAS. You would need to write in your personal statement why you want to do those subjects. You could try a joint/combined degree though.

When you get your AS-level results and if you do business or psychology A-level, you could see which grade you got better in, and go from there. For example, if you get an A in psychology and B in business, you could apply for psychology as you got an A at AS. I would choose a degree that is more interesting though.

ReputationRep:
    You can, but it would be hard to explain on your personal statement, especially as universities can't see what else you've applied for until they've decided to accept or reject you. As the others have said, I'm surprised you can't do a joint or combined degree as a lot of universities offer them. Are you sure you'll have to stay at home? You won't have to start paying anything back until the year after you graduate, providing you're earning at least £15 000 a year, and you can get non-repayable grants and bursaries as well as a part-time job. Surely getting into a bit of debt is worth it if it means you can do a degree you'll enjoy at a univeristy you like? Not to mention the fact that you won't get the same 'university experience' if you live at home.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.