Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone i really want to know is how great is uni of nottingham as it is a long way away but still my first choice atm. btw doing medcine or medical something

ReputationRep:
    Well it's often in the top ten in the league tables and is ranked highly for graduate recruitment. It's modern, it's green, it's got nice halls and a good atmosphere. It's a campus but the city is close by. Oh, and it has a lake. What more could you want?

I've heard it's pretty good for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxfordbrooks)
    hey everyone i really want to know is how great is uni of nottingham as it is a long way away but still my first choice atm. btw doing medcine or medical something
    Yep it's great socially, and pretty good for medicine (one of the few schools which still offer dissection for anatomy teaching). It's also unique as it's the only med school (as far as I know) which offers an intercalated BMedSci within the 5 yrs, although whether this is a pro or con depends on your personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    Hi oxfordbrooks. nottingham is great!! I'm so so happy i'm going there. You get the best of both worlds with a gorgeous queit campus right next to a bustling city which has a great social life. It's very well respected as a uni and ~eurane~ is going to study medicine there. She has an unconditional, i'm sure she would chat to you about the course if she was here, but currently she's in San Francisco.

What specifically do you want to know about? Are you worried about anything? I think you will have fun there, i find it hard to imagine any kind of person who wouldn't.

I'm ridiculously enthusiastic. It's sickening. xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm in love with Nottingham and I think I'll be even more thrilled about it when (if) I arrive.

It's definitely got a good reputation, and it's gorgeous and it's near a lovely city. Woo!

ReputationRep:
    Its this good...

________________________________ ________________________________ ___

thats a whole lotta good.

ReputationRep:
    Well since you have given nothing to compare against this is quite silly - but if it helps Notts was my first choice* (inc Oxbridge, London Uni's etc) so I obviously think its good.

*Joint

My advice would be to go visit it

ReputationRep:
    Pav - gotta rep you for that when i can. Hilarious. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    Pav - gotta rep you for that when i can. Hilarious. xx
    I aim to please ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I'm really looking forward to going there (as in Notts, of course) and it was second only to Cambridge when I had first applied - but Cam rejected me and now I'm actually realising what a great thing that really is Notts is my firm and it's green and spacious and it has a lake it's great for Medicine I think the uni is actually well-known for that reason - QMC the medical school. Yeh I think it's the only medical school around joint to a hospital. That's pretty great cus my sister's uni, Aberdeen, doesn't have that, and she's complained about having to walk half an hour there, half hour back etc, cus one lecture is at one end and another is at the hospital - this is for Neuroscience btw, which is also my course

I was considering Medicine for a while and I absolutely adored Notts' Medicine course it looks greater than Cambridge's as far as I'm concerned - now that's quite something cus I'm also a bit of a Cambridge lover

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxfordbrooks)
    Not really that far away as I've just finished the U6 at Welly School and I'm going (grades providing!) The trains look pretty good and not too costly if you get a student rail card. Plus lots of nice people are going! (Also btw, are you just about to srat the L6 or are you going into the U6. I'm so envious-I just can't believe I've left!!) Sorry I'm rambling off the point here. But like the others say, just go and take a look at the place. I just put it on my UCAS as a whim and now its my first choice. Also ask people like teachers what they think of the place. Have fun looking round the unis hopefully I'll be at Nottingham by then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    Well since you have given nothing to compare against this is quite silly - but if it helps Notts was my first choice* (inc Oxbridge, London Uni's etc) so I obviously think its good.

*Joint

What you rejected Oxbridge for Notts? I certainly wouldnt reject Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL etc for Notts, however its still definately a top 10 uni and depending on what course you do, is respected by City firms/employers in general.

ReputationRep:
    It depends though doesn't it? There might be more than just the best degree you can get in terms of what you're considering. I tried to exprience the nightlife when i went to Cambridge for my interview. It was dire. I want to get a good degree, and have a good chance of employment afterwards, but it's also important to me to have fun and be able to relax a little bit. xx

ReputationRep:
    im going to notts for a number of reasons.. this forum being one of the top ten reasons..
    but primarily, Notts was rated Num 1 for my course.. Food Science, and there are very impressive facilities (a whole bioscience campus!).. plus it helps to know that 90% of all grads for my course get a job while the rest continue studying/research..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)

*Joint

So you actually got into Cambridge? (or Oxford)? Hmmm I would've accepted if Cam had accepted me only I know that'd be a huge mistake, despite the fact that I absolutely adore the uni - Cam's just not for me. I get stressed enough doing A-Level exams! - I wouldn't be able to handle the workload. Besides all that, there was the Maths involved in Cam DEFO not for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    What you rejected Oxbridge for Notts? I certainly wouldnt reject Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL etc for Notts, however its still definately a top 10 uni and depending on what course you do, is respected by City firms/employers in general.
    I didn't apply to any of those as I didn't want to go to any of them... I visited Oxford and really got put off, plus as I live in London I didn't fancy going to any of them. I just applied to the 5 uni's I thought I'd enjoy the most... and 1 insurance.

I still think, Nottingham is the best campus uni in the country - although Warwick would be just as good if it wasn't for it's location and so would York if it was a tad bigger.

With regards to rep at city firms I don't think theres much difference between say Oxford and Nottingham - both are good enough to get you an interview and from there it's down to the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    It depends though doesn't it? There might be more than just the best degree you can get in terms of what you're considering. I tried to exprience the nightlife when i went to Cambridge for my interview. It was dire. I want to get a good degree, and have a good chance of employment afterwards, but it's also important to me to have fun and be able to relax a little bit. xx
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    I didn't apply to any of those as I didn't want to go to any of them... I visited Oxford and really got put off, plus as I live in London I didn't fancy going to any of them. I just applied to the 5 uni's I thought I'd enjoy the most... and 1 insurance.

I still think, Nottingham is the best campus uni in the country - although Warwick would be just as good if it wasn't for it's location and so would York if it was a tad bigger.

With regards to rep at city firms I don't think theres much difference between say Oxford and Nottingham - both are good enough to get you an interview and from there it's down to the individual.
    What has living in London gotta do with not liking Oxford? My ex lives in London and since he was a kid he's always wanted to go Cambridge - and is now studying there. And I think Oxbridge are pretty similar to each other aren't they?

Ahh 1 insurance is better than none - I had NO insurance. The one uni I had applied to in the hope of an insurance offer of typical BBC changed their policy at the interview and told everyone it'll be based on our predicted grades, which means my offers was AAB :eek: It's like - Manchester - so not worth it! Nottingham was supposed to be one of my "higher" offers cus it was typical ABB - and all the other typical offers that I got were BBB. Unfortunately Manchester upped their offer and Nottingham lowered their offer (Notts lowering an offer, unfortunate!? What!?) - so I ended up with 4 offers all wanting BBB :eek: and 1 wanting AAB. Baaaaah so I didn't really have much choice I had to put Reading cus they wanted 300 points, as opposed to grades. Bristol or Manchester would've been my insurance of only they gave me a lower offer.

ReputationRep:
    My highest offer was AAB and my lowest was ABB, lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    What has living in London gotta do with not liking Oxford? My ex lives in London and since he was a kid he's always wanted to go Cambridge - and is now studying there. And I think Oxbridge are pretty similar to each other aren't they?
    Living in London now is what put me off applying to UCL and Kings - don't get me wrong London is great but I wanted to experience somewhere new as I'll probably be working in London after uni.

I've heard they are pretty similar in set up and hence didn't even consider Cambridge - the whole idea is really hypothetical as I wouldn't of got into either Oxford or Cambridge

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 5, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.