Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Instead of thinking scientifically, I just want to know what comes out off the top of your head - what you were taught when you were little. The book is all about words and their connotations.

Richard of York gave battle in vain was what I got taught, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet, the colours of the rainbow, although the song states, Red and yellow and pink and green, orange and purple and blue, just a useless piece of info for ya

ReputationRep:
    how about we go and ask the little man with the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow he might know

ReputationRep:
    lets see *hums to himself*

"red and yellow and pink and green... orange and purple and blue.... i can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too..."

ok, i count... 7! the theory works!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    lets see *hums to himself*

"red and yellow and pink and green... orange and purple and blue.... i can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too..."

ok, i count... 7! the theory works!
    well done lol, I still like my ROY G BIV

I read that Newton choose to split it into seven because it is a prime number.

ReputationRep:
    My physics teacher told us that 6 colours were originally observed - red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet - but that 6 was the number of the devil and light was so pure it couldn't possibly have anything to do with Satan - so another colour was stuck in to make it 7. The number of colours that exist is finite, since 'colour' is an anthropocentric term - we perceive various wavelengths of light as colour. Our cones essentially turn something continuous (wavelength) into something more discrete (colour).

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vavavoom)
    Hey guys,

In my Japanese class we read a book by a linguist who talked about how different cultures have different associations with words. I don't agree with some of the stuff he says - he makes a lot of assumptions.

I was just wondering how many colours you think are in a rainbow.
    I was just going through posts and came upon this one....I thought there were 7 too....so how many ARE there?

ReputationRep:
    In a 'real' rainbow, wouldn't there be more than 7 colours since they aren't exactly separated from each other by lines. For example, red could merge with orange and produce who knows what. There could be like 1,000s of different colours in there. But yea, I would still say seven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    There are seven colours in a conventional rainbow. ROY G BIV red orange yellow green blue indigo violet
    in america we dont use roy g biv

we just use, red orange yellow green blue purple!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.