Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I wrote my whole P1 in Math HL with a pencil, I mean all my countings since there is so little space for them. My anwseres I wrote with a black inc pen. What will the examinator do if I have an incorrect anwser but showed countings? Will he ignore them? My IBC did not know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pole_from_swede)
    Hey
    I wrote my whole P1 in Math HL with a pencil, I mean all my countings since there is so little space for them. My anwseres I wrote with a black inc pen. What will the examinator do if I have an incorrect anwser but showed countings? Will he ignore them? My IBC did not know.
    he'll ignore them - IB doesn't allow using pencils during exam (except diagrams and other sketches):/ I had to rewrite my pure code which took me about 20min with an inc pen, 'cause in the beginning I did it using a pencil

ReputationRep:
    You mean, I will note get any marks even if he sees that some part of my counting is correct?! F***!!! So now I am very nervous about my Math HL!!!

ReputationRep:
    You should not use pencil, because examiners are using pencil for provisional marks (before real marking with red ink and another marking by green ink). But I think that examiner will read your work and give marks for that.
    Examiners get the document called "Information for examiners and moderators" and they have their instructions there. In this year's there is nothing about writing by pencil. So I do not know.

ReputationRep:
    ignoring is more than impossible...i will assume that many of us did their math/phyisics exam in pencil or atleast most of it.

They cannot be strict on such matters.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Stevko, do you have that document?

ReputationRep:
    i just found out that pencil was allowed in maths exams according to our coordinator. It is however not allowed in other exams as a precaution basically. Because if anything gets rubbed out, the IBO will pass the blame to the candidate knowing that he/she had been warned. So hopefully there isnt anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    OMG I feel relieved Results are out today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_victim86)
    i just found out that pencil was allowed in maths exams according to our coordinator. It is however not allowed in other exams as a precaution basically. Because if anything gets rubbed out, the IBO will pass the blame to the candidate knowing that he/she had been warned. So hopefully there isnt anything to worry about.
    Your IBC is wrong. The instructions your IBC is supposed to read aloud clearly mention that NO pencil is allowed except for graphs/sketches. My IBC even emphasized that you could not use pencil even though you were doing Math. Still, I don't think anything would happen is someone used pencil, assuming nothing got erased. Maybe they can deduct one mark, like they did before if you didn't put a calculator model.

ReputationRep:
    You know what I hate? When the IBC does not say whever you can use a pencil or not during the exam.

During the computer exam, I started writing the code in pencil. I thought that perhaps it would be better if I asked the invigilator (a favorite teacher of mine) if I could write in pencil.. And obviously it turned out that I couldn't, and had to spend 10 minutes rewriting everything in pen.

All of this because the stupid IBC forgot to tell us about that. Yes it's my partially my fault, but he could still have told us.

ReputationRep:
    my math teacher literally told us to "screw what the ib says" and use a pencil on the math HL exam, as there is no way to do math using a pen...

so that's what we all did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovina)
    my math teacher literally told us to "screw what the ib says" and use a pencil on the math HL exam, as there is no way to do math using a pen...

so that's what we all did.
    It is not that hard to do Math with pen. Only geometry is not very convenient. And geometry are diagrams/drawings and it is allowed to do them by pencil.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.