Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody who does this subject give their experiences of the course, and information like how stressful the coursework is?

I heard that the course has tons of work and that you have too little time to finish your work in...

Are there any tips you can give me for taking this subject and what are the teachers/examiners looking for in general?

Does presentation of your books really make a difference, and is it part of the mark scheme?

Thank you, I would appreciate any help :p:

ReputationRep:
    I did Art to full A level, and i loved it

Coursework takes time (my books wer approx 30 side of A2 paper)
    but its ok if u do it like this: each week, do all of the book apart from the writing (obvously leaving space for the writing)
    and then at the end do all the writing over the space of 3 or 4 days. That way ur writing has a fluency and u can make references to other pages

presentation isnt in the markscheme; but when the examiner comes round, they want a general feel of the book as well; so it gives a good impression.

With the writing, its called 'sentimental bullsh*t' U write about how paintings make u feel, about the colours and how they help convey the feeling of the painting, shapes and stuff like that.

I really loved it, so i only have good things to say about Art A level

ReputationRep:
    Yep, art takes up a hell of a lot of my time. I tended to come up with an idea and do lots of practical work, and then write some complete made up cr*p alongside it.

The presentation does matter in that you want the examiner to be able to read your sketchbook, but as far as getting marks for it- not specifically I don't think.

I've finished AS art, and moving on to A level. Depending on my results, I may or may not continue with it. To be honest, I'm finding it a bit boring now The practical work is really really awesome fun- you can get really messy and just have a laugh in the lessons. But it's just the writing...I feel like such a fraud writing what I write. When I do critical studies of artists, and I explain what their work represents and how it makes me feel, I just feel so incredibly guilty as I just write sh*t.

It takes a lot of time- but if you're good a bullsh*tting you can walk away with an A pretty easily.

Make sure you do "Fine Art," so that you can do photography, sculpture, all different media etc..

I do enjoy it, kind of. But not as much as I did at the beginning of the AS year.

ReputationRep:
    cool, sounds really fun, I'm definately taking it next year!!

Thanks for the information!! :P

Is there any way I can prepare for the AS level year, like learning about some artists or do some work before hand to get me a good headstart?

Are there a lot of essays to write? :O:O:O

ReputationRep:
    not essays as such, but familiarise urself with Futurism, cubism, surrealism, etc jst so u hav a general idea

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh cool Thanks for that, I'll look up that stuff on Google!

Does anyone know if there's any ART textbooks I can buy???

ReputationRep:
    Hey I did Art AS and A2 and it is hard work and time consuming, but it's totally worth it. My other A Levels were all sciences, so art was a welcome break from all that! Don't know about Art textbooks, but over the summer I'd go to as many different galleries as you can - much better than seeing pictures in a book, and sometimes you can actually see the textures and how they were painted.

Art is ace, there is quite a bit of writing (no essays mind), mostly just annotating, where you got your ideas, why you decided to do something etc. but as someone said earlier this is best left till you've completed the unit so you can make it link "and appear like a journey with a beginning, middle and end" - quote from my teacher.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Cool, no essays !!!!

This sounds like such a cool subject!! I'll make sure I leave the annotations til the end.

How do you annotate? Do you stick the pictures in the middle of the page and make lines coming out and writing about it?

What are the things you write about? Can anyone give me any sub headings for each piece of work that you do?

ReputationRep:
    What our teacher made us do is make copies of the best bits of our sketchbooks, mount the images with similar or a development of ideas on a big piece of black card and write around them explaining what you did. This is really good because your not actually doing much more work but you've got these huge pieces that you can display. Most of my units began with a brainstorm of ideas and then I looked at artists for inspiration. This is the only downside of art, you may have a brilliant completely original idea but you have to be able to link it back to a similar artist. I then created my own versions of the artist's work. Make sure you also do lots of drawings from direct observation so you can really show your skills and impress the examiners. After this I just let my mind wander and experiment with different mediums, colour schemes, compositions etc. and then when I was happy with an idea that it linked all my work together I did a final piece. Sometimes you can cheat if you have an amazing idea and do your final piece before your prep work, then you can make sure your prep work links to the piece and everything makes sense!

All my writing was just background on the artists, how their work influenced me, my feelings towards it, then evaluations of my own work and how i got my ideas etc. Most of it is just sentimental rubbish, but it isn't too difficult.

I've added an attachment of something I wrote about my A2 exam to give you an idea.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Exam piece explaination.doc (20.0 KB, 86 views)

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank you so much for the help I love TSR!!!!!! (cringe)

ReputationRep:
    i took AS art and it's not that bad. it might be useful to find out what topics you're studying next year, though, and do a bit of preliminary work. i did architecture and human form so i did a few sketches/took some photos/read up on some art history in the holidays. it doesn't take long and it's quite fun. plus, although i know loads of people have already told you, the coursework isn't that hard, as long as you keep doing it. it's a good subject to take because it's flexible - you can work it around your other subjects. just don't leave too much to the last minute, or else you'll find yourself up in the small hours trying to paint pictures lol (i'm speaking from personal experience there).

ReputationRep:
    cool[B]

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.