The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

looking243
Hi -Emmz-,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was reading earlier posts (like really old posts), and are you now a hospital pharmacist?

Basically, I just wanted to ask about the ups and downs in your opinion...

Yup. If you've got any specific questions you can send me a message ... don't want to take the thread off topic of Nottingham being 4th best in the world for pharmacy :wink: hahaha!
Reply 21
lol
Vamp1reWeekend
I don't think you can officially say that any are ''the best'', the majority of people will be biased in where they think is better due to where they go or want to go.
grade wise, as nottingham and bath only offer AAB you'd think they would have a higher academic standard? but that doesnt always make the best pharmacist, apparently nottingham is good for getting into the industry side i hear.

Those universities offer higher grades simply because the competition is greater - not because their teaching is better. You may argue that there is more competition because the course is better, but i would have to disagree. Many people apply to a university because of the status of the university - not its pharmacy course. This is often misleading as pharmacy courses do have some autonomy in what they do, for RPSGB accreditation reasons.

Finally, I heard that Nottingham is good for industry too - possibly because their course is still very science based compared to some of the more forward thinking courses out there. However, if you really want to get into industry there is nothing to stop you doing so by going to another uni.

Remember people, the course does not make the pharmacist. You get out of uni what you put in. And what you gain from the pharmacy profession is definitely based on what you put in.
TigerSwift
Those universities offer higher grades simply because the competition is greater - not because their teaching is better. You may argue that there is more competition because the course is better, but i would have to disagree. Many people apply to a university because of the status of the university - not its pharmacy course. This is often misleading as pharmacy courses do have some autonomy in what they do, for RPSGB accreditation reasons.

Finally, I heard that Nottingham is good for industry too - possibly because their course is still very science based compared to some of the more forward thinking courses out there. However, if you really want to get into industry there is nothing to stop you doing so by going to another uni.

Remember people, the course does not make the pharmacist. You get out of uni what you put in. And what you gain from the pharmacy profession is definitely based on what you put in.

Well said.

Although, a friend of mine is at Nottingham, in 1st year, and she said they've hardly done any theory yet. Whereas, I'm at UEA, and all we seem to do is the theory!

Anyway, back on topic.
You've got to remember going to university is about 2 things; getting a degree and the "experience".

It's alright picking a uni for it's league status but if you don't get anything out of it except a degree, it hasn't been worth it. You're going to be spending 4 years of our lives wherever you decide to go, so you have to genuinely like the place!

The best university is one which suits your individual needs. So if going to a university with good links to companies/industry is what you want, go to that uni.
For me personally, my decision was based on an accredited course, modern teaching, good facilties, good accomodation, friendly atmosphere, somewhere i feel safe and happy and can have a good time.

I got offers from the likes of Bath and Nottingham, but when I visited them I just didn't get a good gut feeling about the unis. So i chose UEA, because I absolutely loved the uni and everyone (literally everyone) was so friendly. Turns out to be one of the best decisions I've made.

So chose a uni for YOU and don't bum off league tables or what other people say.
Reply 24
UEA is right up there on my choices! I've just heard from people that it's a really nice place to study. The fact that it was the first to give me an offer probably has something to do with it, but I'm really relieved to hear such high praise about UEA. :biggrin:
Reply 25
If you wanted more clinical placements or more hands on experience rather than industry, which one would be good from LSOP, Aston, Brighton, Keele and Kingston? All schools are saying they have great placements etc. LSOP seems more research based?

Also, is Kingston really bad for pharmacy, or it just generally the uni which gives it the not so great rep?...

I just want ppl interaction lol
pingu09
If you wanted more clinical placements or more hands on experience rather than industry, which one would be good from LSOP, Aston, Brighton, Keele and Kingston? All schools are saying they have great placements etc. LSOP seems more research based?

Also, is Kingston really bad for pharmacy, or it just generally the uni which gives it the not so great rep?...

I just want ppl interaction lol

For more clinical placements do a summer placement. They're longer and more valuable than the ones you will do in uni. You should be able to look at the course layout at each uni and see how many clinical placements there are.

For your question about Kingston. Read all the posts above.

Latest

Trending

Trending