Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone's top car? Also does anyone know what cars are cheapest to insure? I haven't passed my test yet, probably won't for ages but just wondering?

Ooh another question, how can someone who's passed their motorbike test be allowed to drive a 3 wheeler car, surely there is a HUGE difference between 3 wheelers and motorbikes?!

Anyway, I like old mini's and beetles!

Also how cool are these cars...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    surely there is a HUGE difference between 3 wheelers and motorbikes?!
    Tiny sized engines

What is everyone's top car?
    Couldn't even begin to think. Probably some prior to the 80's

ReputationRep:
    Top car...ooh...I have a few
    TVR Tuscan
    Jaguar XK8
    BMW X5
    Lotus Elise
    Porsche carrera 4

Now for the realistic ones...
    Peugeot 206 cc
    Peugeot 307 cc
    Fiesta flame

edit: how can I miss out Bentleys as my fave car?!?!

Cheapest to insure...do a search on google and you can bring up a list which gives you a number starting at 1. For example I do know that a fiesta is 1, and the Jag we had was 13. A 1.6l engine fiat was a 6. The higher the number, the more the car costs to insure.

For insurance, the things you need to consider are:
    the make of the car (is it something people will want to steal?)
    how expensive it was (if it's cheaper, it's less desirable)
    the alarm system etc (how easy is it to steal)
    where you live (do you live near a load of pikey thieves eg liverpool - me! - or do you live somewhere decent)
    how big is the engine and how powerful is the car (ie, how much damage can you do if you crash it)
    how long you've been driving for (if you've been driving longer, you're less likely to crash)
    how long you've been insured for without claiming (if you've never claimed, they'll assume that you'll continue to be a good driver).

Alternatively you could be a second driver on someone else's car which is cheap enough until you can afford your own insurance (which, if you get a nice car, will be pretty damn expensive if you're young).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    Also does anyone know what cars are cheapest to insure? I haven't passed my test yet, probably won't for ages but just wondering?
    Probably the Original Fiat Panda

ReputationRep:
    i luvvvv the peugeot 206cc and the new vw beetle convertible......and i will also always have a soft spot for the vauxhall corsa cos i learnt and passed in one!
    i drive my mum's hyundai accent tho

ReputationRep:
    i like the new mini's!!!

ReputationRep:
    Its worth just getting a cheap car to get you around for a couple of years whilst you get your no claims bonus.

I drive a fiesta but would have a vintage jaguar if anyone wants to give me one.

ReputationRep:
    This is a timeline of cars in my ownership:

1.Black VW Polo
    2.Silver VW Golf GTI
    3.Silver S-Class Merc
    4. Black Range Rover

Then if/when I get stupidly rich: Add to the merc and range rover with a Hummer and the best ferrari out at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I would advice any new drivers to avoid somthing like the original Panda, they have woeful safety. A 1.1 Fiesta MK3 will be very cheap to secure and offer reasonable safety, especialy the 1994+ Airbaged versions.

Puntos are not too bad but are more expensive to insure, The Vuaxhall Corsa 1.0 Suzuki 3 Cylinder will be a very cheap car to insure but they were very slow.

Also the Citreon AX and early Peugeots 106s have very tinny build so are not good in a crash.

When I get my first car it will probably be a 1996 Fiesta MK4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    This is a timeline of cars in my ownership:

1.Black VW Polo
    2.Silver VW Golf GTI
    3.Silver S-Class Merc
    4. Black Range Rover

Then if/when I get stupidly rich: Add to the merc and range rover with a Hummer and the best ferrari out at the time.
    I had a dream about you last night!

Anyway, my proper top car would be an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish. But I can dream on

ReputationRep:
    top car: DB9/ DBR9/ any form of DB9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen)

Anyway, my proper top car would be an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish. But I can dream on
    :top:

That's my kind of car. Vanquish S

Alternatively, wouldn't mind one of these:

Mercedes McLaren SLR - as driven by Jeremy Clarkson on last night's Top Gear from London to Oslo in one go...!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I love my Porsche best, since I own it

ReputationRep:
    i drive a ford fiesta mk 2 (really old) but my insurance is amazingly cheap!

ReputationRep:
    An Audi S4 would more than satisfy me.

ReputationRep:
    id love an evo6 although...im in love with the 350Z's. I will be happy with a seat leon cupra R for now.. ..ahh I just remembered I dont have any money at all.... :eek: damn.. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen)

Umm, cool :confused:

The Vanquish is well nice though!

ReputationRep:
    I want this

For about £1500 you get a nice modern reliable car which is fairly cheap to insure, has all the luxeries like electric windows etc and it dosn't cost you a fortune in loan repayments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    Umm, cool :confused:

The Vanquish is well nice though!
    i know, and the prices are so good now!

ReputationRep:
    v12 vanquish s

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.