Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Id rather type and put minimum effort in and get the notes down rather than be popular

ReputationRep:
    I usually use pen and paper to annotate notes, often dont bother making notes though and just rely on the handout/wikipedia.

Sometimes am seen with a laptop- this is only because one lecture theatre has wifi net access so you can surf the web when in the lecture (handy if they're as boring as some of mine are...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spangletastic)
    Eeeh! The replies to this thread bring me fabby news - I can yet again invest in a spangly new pencil case. I always find that the most exiting part of summer is stocking up on stationery ready for the next academic year. Pink and spangly shall be the theme for my stationery during my first year of university, actually.. that's been the theme for the past five years at school/sixth form. Oh well!

I really must remember to get a life sometime :p:

I thought I was the only one who got excited about buying new stationary!

I always get a pencil case in the shape of an animal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Most lecturers do not allow laptops ...
    The lecturers dont seem to have a problem with it at IC, well from the ones I've come across so far.......in my lectures loads of people have lappys and sit there playing games, surfin the web(the joys of wireless around uni) or looking at the slides close up lol. There are a few people messing about with PDAs too ! Though to be fair, i do comp sci so it could explain it somewhat

edit: sorry i mean "The lecturers don't seem....." as oppose to the "The lectures don't seem.."!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    The lectures dont seem to have a problem with it at IC, well from the ones I've come across so far.......in my lectures loads of people have lappys and sit there playing games, surfin the web(the joys of wireless around uni) or looking at the slides close up lol. There are a few people messing about with PDAs too ! Though to be fair, i do comp sci so it could explain it somewhat
    LOL! And I guess there's not 280 people in your year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    2. "If there's a lot of stuff you'll get a handout" - again, not necessarily true...yes maybe more-so for art/social sciences but for science subjects you'll have to rely more on writing stuff down since most of the lectures are based around the lecture writing on the blackboard/whiteboard doing equations and chemical formulae and all that stuff - though also I do Geography and although we get handouts for some lectures, we don't for all of them.
    Last time I checked Medicine was a science

And loads of my Natsci friends get lecture handouts, though there are massive blanks left for filling in mechanisms/equations etc.

I can just about keep up if I'm making my own notes, but occasionally I skip bits and forget to go back to them. Handouts are easier

ReputationRep:
    All of our lectures were based on PP and were mostly posted on the uni website shortly after lectures, so we just made notes on any extra stuff that was said, then added it to the presentation we printed off. Some lecturers actually printed off the presentation for us and handed them out before the lecture.
    Have never seen a laptop in a lecture, but have seen voice recorders etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    LOL! And I guess there's not 280 people in your year...
    quite right lol! About 120 ish I think, and shrinking by the day!

Why don't yours allow it btw? Too noisy and distracting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    quite right lol! About 120 ish I think, and shrinking by the day!

Why don't yours allow it btw? Too noisy and distracting?
    Can you imagine 280 people, each with a lap top...

ReputationRep:
    Ah, my lessons in school were like that ... you'll learn how to write down things fast, it's not that difficult - although you may be the only one able to read your notes at the end - legibility does decrease a lot, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    Does anyone record the lectures with a dictaphone? i'd ideally like to record the lecture, and make notes later, but i've heard a rumour that you can't record the lecturers due to copyright/plaguerism. Is this true? xx
    One of my housemates did last year using his mp3 player, then played them back on his laptop and made notes.

ReputationRep:
    If you do chose to record lectures, make sure you ask permission first - else you might find your MP3 player/iPod/whatever being thrown across the lecture theatre by a really pissed off lecturer...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.