chloek07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, people Just want some im revising for A2 aqa chemistry and just on the organic synthetic routes section, I was wondering if anyone had an online copy of a map of all the inter-relationships between the funtional groups and the process to get from one funtional group to another so a mind of mind map. Would be very greatful as making my own could take forever! Thanks guys
chloek07
Rep:
?
I think im looking for some form of a concept map just to be more clear an online version, somebody surely must have one
shengoc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, somebody find it online too, surely you can find it too?
chloek07
Rep:
?
Yes, I've had a good look but no good ones are appearing im just wondering if anyone has one they could share that they have created? or if i've missed finding one online and someone knows a good website for them etc.
shengoc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the best concept map is usually the one you make yourself once you understand what you have revised what should be included in your syllabus.

Learn your reactions, try writing all you could remember on blank paper, then check back with books, fill in the blanks, group them under suitable categories, then redraw the concept map the way you like it to be drawn.
=gabriel=
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is no 'synthetic pathways' map online that would be used in labs worldwide since there are just too many reactions and it would be an absolute nightmare to draw and look at. If you consult Larock's Comprehensive Organic Transformations you'll discover just how many reactions there are. A map like this does exist for biochemical pathways, at least the basic ones, because there you are dealing with a definable subset of molecules, and a finite number of enzymes.

The best thing to do really is draw it yourself, it's good revision and won't take that long actually. The time spent drawing this map is a lot better spent than looking at a pre-drawn one, trust me. That's coming from someone who has done A2 chemistry btw.
Edamame
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
You learn more by drawing and redrawing numerous times yourself.
Orihime
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chloek07)
Hi, people Just want some im revising for A2 aqa chemistry and just on the organic synthetic routes section, I was wondering if anyone had an online copy of a map of all the inter-relationships between the funtional groups and the process to get from one funtional group to another so a mind of mind map. Would be very greatful as making my own could take forever! Thanks guys

On a more useful note; you have the Nelson Thornes book dont you, well in the book they already provide you with a synthesis route, all you have to do is fill in the blanks, you don't have to write things out just simply test your self by starting with a haloalkane and working your way around the route. In the AQA chemistry A2 CGP it gives you an aleardy done synthesis route, what your looking for. I would scan it but I can't find the book .
Saxby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Here is a table of simple synthetic routes and also a map aswell going from one functional group to the next.

i know the last post was two years ago but this is for people who still need it now
Attached files
Chuck1993
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Saxby, you saved my chemical life
chloek07
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Haha, this is exactly what I was looking for shame it's 2 years late . lol Hopefully It will be useful to someone else
arvin_infinity
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Saxby)
Here is a table of simple synthetic routes and also a map aswell going from one functional group to the next.

i know the last post was two years ago but this is for people who still need it now
A legend! upload these stuff moooore
Tina.Shaban
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is really late but if anyone still wants it, this is an EVEN better synthetic route diagram, it contains reagents and conditions
Attached files
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tina.Shaban)
This is really late but if anyone still wants it, this is an EVEN better synthetic route diagram, it contains reagents and conditions
Here's a little something - interactive organic pathways
username1445490
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would strongly suggest you draw it up yourself by going through the specification and finding out all the reactions you need to know and then draw them on a sheet of A3 with just arrows then photocopy it.
Fill in the conditions etc by using the textbook to help then learn them and use the blank copied to test yourself. This will aid your learning far more than getting a ready made one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
20.33%
No (98)
79.67%

Watched Threads