Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have put on my college application form: geog, chem, music, media studies[/COLOR]
    but recently ive been thinking alot about changing media to german. i cant say that i love german but it has been enjoyable and after doing the (loads!) of oral prep i found that i actually knew alot of german!!![/COLOR]

aswel i went into school today for band rehersals (of course ive already left) but lesson 5 was cancelled so i went with my yr10 friend to her lesson which was german!!! the teach had me doing things and she even said that i was good at it.

i dont really know anyone who has done media

what are your opinions????
    what would you do???
    german or media studies???

ReputationRep:
    The ISC published a report on the decline of more 'traditional' subjects such as Science and Maths being taken and proved that there was a 'noticable' .pc increase in those obtaining A at AS/A-Level. The report basically touches upon the notion that newer, more 'modern' subjects, namely: Sociology, Psychology, Media Studies and Business Studies are much less 'thorough', thus, easier than the more traditional subjects (Maths, Science, Latin etc).
    If you want to read more into this, the material can be found at: http://www.isc.co.uk/index.php/403

ReputationRep:
    I must ask, what are your future plans, academia wise? It strikes me as odd that you would choose Chemistry in combination with Geography, Music and German/Media Studies.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they are odd. It is good to chose a wide breadth, especially if you do not know what course you want to do at Uni. I have chosen Chem Maths Ger and Eng Lit, and most people love this combination.

ReputationRep:
    sorry for posting about my own choices in your thread, but i didnt want to start a new thread. What a levels should i take in order to do architecture? Im predicted 12 a*s (but ive already got my marks in maths and art-both a*s) in case u were wondering if i was good at particular subjects. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    german or media studies???
    I'd definitely go for german if you say you're good at it and enjoy it - not only would it be much better for getting into uni, but employers love it if you have qualifications in another language!

What a levels should i take in order to do architecture?
    I'd probably take maths, art and possibly physics to do architecture, but apart from that you're pretty much free to choose whatever subjects you enjoy the most. As stated above, a language would be very useful and valuable too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali p)
    I'd definitely go for german if you say you're good at it and enjoy it - not only would it be much better for getting into uni, but employers love it if you have qualifications in another language!

I'd probably take maths, art and possibly physics to do architecture, but apart from that you're pretty much free to choose whatever subjects you enjoy the most. As stated above, a language would be very useful and valuable too.
    thanks for that advice, good luck in your results, hope u get what u want.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that advance, good luck in your results, hope u get what u want.
    no problem Good luck in your results too - hope you get all those *s!

ReputationRep:
    Id definatly choose German, it is more respected as a qualification and universties adn employers love it if you have a language qualification, with it you will get far more oppurtunities than with media, however media does have its advantages in the ever changing world, but id still go with german!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeerHS)
    I don't think they are odd. It is good to chose a wide breadth, especially if you do not know what course you want to do at Uni. I have chosen Chem Maths Ger and Eng Lit, and most people love this combination.
    I didn't mean to sound confrontational; I just think Chemistry is a tad contemptible without another Science or Maths... But of course, it's perfectly understandable if she is choosing Chemistry entirely based upon her admiration for the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean to sound confrontational; I just think Chemistry is a tad contemptible without another Science or Maths... But of course, it's perfectly understandable if she is choosing Chemistry intirely based upon her admiration for the subject.
    I am choosing geography for that reason, i think if you enjoy a subject why not take it, adn with a wide variety of qualifications you can take a wide choice of dergrees.

ReputationRep:
    It would be quite stressful doing 2 practical subjects so I would go with German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutchopper)
    I am choosing geography for that reason, i think if you enjoy a subject why not take it, adn with a wide variety of qualifications you can take a wide choice of dergrees.
    Ditto. I am choosing Geography because it complements my other AS choices and I have a natural fascination for it.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto. I am choosing Geography because it complements my other AS choices and I have a natural fascination for it.
    Geography definatly complements my other choices and i thoroughy enjoy it, i hope i will get an A* for GCSE geography, i felt i did well enough in the exam, i did the EDEXCEL board and i found the exam easy!

ReputationRep:
    Geography definatly complements my other choices and i thoroughy enjoy it, i hope i will get an A* for GCSE geography, i felt i did well enough in the exam, i did the EDEXCEL board and i found the exam easy!
    Yep, same. Both the Decision Making paper and the Written Paper 4 were elementary. I achieved an A for the coursework, and felt I performed competently in the exam; overall I am expecting a very proficient grade, perhaps, A/A*.

ReputationRep:
    *definitely (Sorry to be pedantic, can't help it).

ReputationRep:
    Yep, same. Both the Decision Making paper and the Written Paper 4 were elementary. I achieved an A for the coursework, and felt I performed competently in the exam; overall I am expecting a very proficient grade, perhaps, A/A*.
    I agree, i got an A* in the coursework so all good. The only question i strruggled on was the thermal power station, i just said a nucluer power station in france. When i asked my teacher about it afterwoods she said it was fine

ReputationRep:
    Lol no problem, my typing is appauling. I hope no one ever negatively reps me for it!

ReputationRep:
    Lol no problem, my typing is appauling. I hope no one ever negatively reps me for it!
    You're fine. As long as you don't make a pointless thread mocking TSR's reputation system, and pleading for positive rep, you won't be negatively repped! Visit >> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t128187.html

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i saw that thread, i do try to improve my typing, it just doesn't work xD
    That girl on that thread deserved to be neg repped!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.