Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know there's an official dropping out thread up there but it's quite long and i'm not sure that it would be able to answer my question.

I was just interested in what happens when you drop out of uni moneywise. I won't be going to uni until 2006 and so am part of all the new fees. If we pay it back after we leave does that mean that if you drop out they just stop the fees there and then and you have to only pay back for the time you were there. If you dropped out after a few months would you still have to pay the course fees for the rest of the year?

If you can't tell university finance confuses me a bit!

ReputationRep:
    *I think* that (at Durham anyway) if you drop out before Christmas of your first year you only have to pay half of your first years' fees...but anytime after the Christmas vacation and you have to pay the full year. Annoying, but I think that's how it is.

Might change slightly for 2006 though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about 2006 but when I dropped out before Christmas, I was reimbursed a portion of my tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    If you drop out after say 2 years and don't go back to any university, do the SLC start to take repayments from you immediately or something? Rather than it being taken with your tax when you earn over x amount?

And if you drop out in the year before you've paid your fees - will the university come after you for pro-rata amount and do you have to pay it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you drop out after 2 years then you will be liable to start repaying your loans (and any deferred fees from 2006 onwards) from April of the following year IF you earn over £15,000 (for example if you earn £20,000 you'll be liable to repay £450pa....or £37.50 per month (out of £1000 net pay that isn't too extortionate).
    Ah I see, I heard that they start taking it out by Direct Debit once you drop out, must have been a red herring.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm just covering worst case scenarios here

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.