Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, jst wondering if ne1 is going 2 medsim on the 8th to 10th july

ReputationRep:
    if noone on this site is going, try asking on www.medschoolguide.co.uk in the forum (possibly in med school admissions) - maybe someone there will be!

ReputationRep:
    I went last year. It's great fun

ReputationRep:
    whats med sim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAIN_HOON_NA)
    whats med sim?
    A massive rip off, aimed at fleecing well-to-do families of £300-odd under the guise that it *might* (but doesn't) help their precious ball of love getting into medical school...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    A massive rip off, aimed at fleecing well-to-do families of £300-odd under the guise that it *might* (but doesn't) help their precious ball of love getting into medical school...
    Yeah it is a rip-off, its like an additional £45 for that life saving certificate or something. In medsim they didn't even provide us with food, only breakfast.

Is medsim only once a year, or is there one later in december or something?

ReputationRep:
    im down with med sim it allows u to skive off school and meet hot chicks, if u dont mind payin loads of money for it, ur laughin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gordon2002)
    Yeah it is a rip-off, its like an additional £45 for that life saving certificate or something. In medsim they didn't even provide us with food, only breakfast.

Is medsim only once a year, or is there one later in december or something?
    yeh there's 1 in december , but thats medlink- which is a bit different.

ReputationRep:
    my sister also went 2 medsim- she said it was gr8. i guess its jst another thing u can put on ur personal statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star_ice)
    my sister also went 2 medsim- she said it was gr8. i guess its jst another thing u can put on ur personal statement
    But no medical school takes medsim/medlink seriously. Take a look at admissionsforum and medschoolguide to get it from the mouths of real life medical school admissions tutors... All it says it 'I could afford to go on a course' and is no substitute for sustained work experience etc... You shouldn't be putting it on your PS - and if anyone out there needs to then start thinking about ways of getting other *real* experiences ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    obviosly thats not the only wrk experience u do- but i'm saying its jst another thing 2 put on ur statement. what do u mean u shudn't put it on ur ps- u shud put as much as u've dun on ur p.s

ReputationRep:
    obviosly thats not the only wrk experience u do- but i'm saying its jst another thing 2 put on ur statement. what do u mean u shudn't put it on ur ps- u shud put as much as u've dun on ur p.s
    You would be amazed at the number of people who do think that Medlink/Sim can be a substitute for work experience (not helped by the fact that Medlink often tell people it can!!!). It's probably the quickest way to rejection...

ReputationRep:
    yeh i agree, but all i'm saying is that its an extra thing 2 put on ur p.s aswell as all ur other work experiences- which shud b the same amount as people who didn't go on medsim.

ReputationRep:
    yeh there's 1 in december , but thats medlink- which is a bit different.
    yeah i've been to medlink, so theres only 1 medsim season?

ReputationRep:
    After reading some of the messages on this thread and various other forums, i'm beginning to regret paying so much money to go. (and to let you know, I don't come from a rich family who can send me anywhere no matter what the cost; I had to save up for it by myself by getting a part-time job. But after reading the comments, it doesn't seem worth it ) Can anyone give me some reassurance that it will, at least, be a fun and (even slightly) beneficial experience?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it will be fun - you'll meet lots of people in the same position as you, and - from what I hear, if you're in to underage drinking then you'll be well catered for!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it will be fun - you'll meet lots of people in the same position as you, and - from what I hear, if you're in to underage drinking then you'll be well catered for!
    Unless you bring it or go to town, then theres no alcohol (we weren't allowed in the union bars :/)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    Unless you bring it or go to town, then theres no alcohol (we weren't allowed in the union bars :/)
    Not thinking outside the box, clearly!

ReputationRep:
    I loved Medlink, I didn't care about the whole improving my chances thing - it was a right blast!!

*memories of a foam party dancing to "all i want for christmas is you.." at a cheesy nightclub somewhere wearing stethoscopes*

ReputationRep:
    Ooo I went on the business and management equivalent of MedSim/Link. We missed most of the lectures on the first day because we went out into Nottingham and got wasted instead, then we missed most of the lectures the next day because we hadn't gone to bed and were exhausted/hungover/still drunk. Lots of fun though!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.