Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just done my A Levels, but I was wondering whether anyone knows whether the AQA and Edexcel specifications are similar, or is there a lot of difference? I got a C in GCSE Maths, which was my lowest grade, but looking for jobs, it seems to be quite important to have a B in GCSE Maths, which I could have got if I hadn't done the modules and changed to do 2 exams at the end(in the practices for 2 exams at the end I got high B's, but it was too late to change then)

I'm thinking of re-teaching myself GCSE Maths and just doing the exams without lessons, but the collage does AQA, whereas we did Edexcel, does anyone know whether there are many differences?

Thanks,

Emma

ReputationRep:
    I done Edexcel; which is supposed to contain wider breadth than the other boards.

ReputationRep:
    I've done past papers for both (my school ran out of past papers of edexcel!)

If you do the intermediate tier and do it well, then I'm sure you'll get a B because the harder stuff that varies from board to board is probably higher... Maybe you could talk to the maths teacher at the college and download the sylabusses online to compare.

ReputationRep:
    There's not much difference as maths is maths. I compared the past papers of both boards before when I do it, there's not much difference too.

AQA past papers - http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/math_a_assess.html
    Edexcel past papers - www.gcsemathspastpapers.com

ReputationRep:
    ACTUALLY I THINK THE EXPRESSION YOU WERE LOOKING FOR WAS "I DID EDEXCEL" , MINIMALLY AND NOT "DONE" DONT BE SO RUDE AND HORRIBLE

(Original post by Shamen)
    I done Edexcel; which is supposed to contain wider breadth than the other boards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutron)
    ACTUALLY I THINK THE EXPRESSION YOU WERE LOOKING FOR WAS "I DID EDEXCEL" , MINIMALLY AND NOT "DONE" DONT BE SO RUDE AND HORRIBLE
    Great. Learn to use full stops.

ReputationRep:
    Neutron looking at your past posts... are you here just to be annoying?

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Point???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Neutron looking at your past posts... are you here just to be annoying?
    ME ANNOYING? YOU ARE THE ANNOYING ONES, CONSTANYL PESTERING ME ABOUT FULLSTOPS AND THE SIZE OPF MY WRITING. I CANT BELIEVE I AM ABLE TO TOLERATE SUCH SHEER INSOLENCE AND YET STILL KEEP MY CALM

ReputationRep:
    ME ANNOYING? YOU ARE THE ANNOYING ONES, CONSTANYL PESTERING ME ABOUT FULLSTOPS AND THE SIZE OPF MY WRITING. I CANT BELIEVE I AM ABLE TO TOLERATE SUCH SHEER INSOLENCE AND YET STILL KEEP MY CALM
    Apologies for 'constanyl' pestering you... I'm not so bothered about full stops its the size. I could stand outside my house and look through the window and read that, it makes it harder to read if its big...

ReputationRep:
    *Constantly
    *Of
    *Can't

Obviously you can't tolerate our "sheer insolence" otherwise you wouldn't be flying off the handle like this.

ReputationRep:
    I gather they pretty much do the same thing, its just they have different exam papers.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I'll get in touch with the college, and find out about the Maths course, and also about the AAT in accountancy that I want to do, I'll do one or the other course anyway. Both exam boards seem to be quite similar from what I've read here, I used to like maths so I should be motivated enough to teach myself. thanks again for replying everyone, you've been very helpful

ReputationRep:
    If it's not too late...

I did AQA Maths and although I have no personal experince of Edexcel, I would imagine that the question styles are very simular because all the topics are dictated by the National Curiculum [sp? I can never spell that word!) so esentially this means that a question on the Edexcel papers must be of the same relative difficulty as those on the AQA paper etc, but it might mean that there is one or two topics that are different on each spec, but I woulld be surprised if it was anything significant.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    *Constantly
    *Of
    *Can't
    Shamen, you've resorted to my tactics. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Shamen, you've resorted to my tactics. :p:
    I know; your tactics rock to be honest, they really shut people up.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to be petty however most of us were here first and no one else has much of a problem with the way we post or what we post.
    so can you do me several huge favours
    • Turn caps lock off
    • shrink the font size
    • Dont post stupid unnessesary posts that dont help the thread starter or anyone else
    • Don't act like were all ganging up on you and biting out heads off
    and Emma in not sure about the differences in the boards I think it would be good to do some of the practise paper and maybe go and talk to a maths teacher/ careers adviser type person at college they may be able to help you. especially if you need to do coursework and stuff. good luck and let me know how it goes

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.