Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To me, it feels like we've just done our AS exams, had a week off and back to really pointless work or the other extreme, extra difficult work.

So, today, I got told I have to do a German presentation, 5 mins long, learnt off by heart, for next monday, of "shining" quality. Oh, and over Summer holiday's we have to do 2 pieces of German coursework, answer all the Qs in the grammer book, not to mention psychology coursework. Last week I got 2 posters for homework- on meiosis and classification. And our new chemistry teacher got stroppy about some plan he gave us 2 days to do for hw and no-one did it.

It's dumb, after GCSE's we had 3 months of nothingness- and those exams were *a lot* easier. After doing difficult exams we get one week off.

My German teacher's response to us having no Summer holiday- well that's life. :mad: You'd think she might be nice to us since half the class have dropped it, and the rest of us are under no obligation to continue. :mad:

Sorry got a bit carried away there...
    Anyone else feel like this?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! We didn't even get a week off at my school; I finished my exams on the Wednesday and started A2 on the Monday, so 2 days! Some people didn't even get that because they had exams later than I did. Personally I think it's ridiculous to expect us to work hard all year, do loads of revision for our AS exams and then come back to school such a short time later raring to go for A2s! I'm not doing much in English or French at the moment, and history isn't too strenuous either, but in sociology we're doing our coursework, straight after doing the AS coursework, and it's really hard to find the energy! I'll probably have lots of research to do over the holidays for French coursework, not to mention wider reading for uni, finishing my personal statement and actually choosing my unis! *Sigh* at least it'll keep me busy, I guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    To me, it feels like we've just done our AS exams, had a week off and back to really pointless work or the other extreme, extra difficult work.

So, today, I got told I have to do a German presentation, 5 mins long, learnt off by heart, for next monday, of "shining" quality. Oh, and over Summer holiday's we have to do 2 pieces of German coursework, answer all the Qs in the grammer book, not to mention psychology coursework. Last week I got 2 posters for homework- on meiosis and classification. And our new chemistry teacher got stroppy about some plan he gave us 2 days to do for hw and no-one did it.

It's dumb, after GCSE's we had 3 months of nothingness- and those exams were *a lot* easier. After doing difficult exams we get one week off.

My German teacher's response to us having no Summer holiday- well that's life. :mad: You'd think she might be nice to us since half the class have dropped it, and the rest of us are under no obligation to continue. :mad:

Sorry got a bit carried away there...
    Anyone else feel like this?
    A bit, I have LOADS of work to do over summer, but meh. I don't have much time at home over summer. We'll all proberly feel nice and refreshed when we go back. Anyhoo, it's prob a good thing that we're getting some of the work out of the way allready

ReputationRep:
    i had a weeek between me finishing my exams and going back to A2, but now i don't go back until mid-september... just got loads of reading to do, but i love reading!

ReputationRep:
    But you still get a summer holiday right? I'm still pretty motivated apart from in History, I really like History but my new teacher just kills it for me and everyone else in the class. He's the assistant principle but all he does is write on the OHP and makes us copy it. Or we copy out of study packs. He's set us a four page essay to do on what we've learnt so far. Errr-nothing, i've never been able to 'learn' from copying notes down. My teacher last year was all about class discussions and etc. Today i had double history, he came in late, set us a wordsearch, gave us loads of study packs, went off to do 'errands', came back for the second period, said 'We'll go through the word search now' then left, came back half an hour late, went through the word search for 15 minutes then we left. Yet somehow all his students get good grades?

However my other subjects are all proving to be as if not more interesting than last year.

ReputationRep:
    I finished my exams on Friday 10th June, and went back on Monday 13th! That sucked. I completely agree with you, especially as I have so many free periods due to teachers not turning up and students bunking off so lessons get cancelled. However, school finished on Wednesday, so right now I don't mind, holiday on Sunday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    i had a weeek between me finishing my exams and going back to A2, but now i don't go back until mid-september... just got loads of reading to do, but i love reading!
    you had a week, and now you've totally finished school?!?! I have 2 more weeks, gah,
    Yeah i still get a Summer holiday, but it'll be full of coursework/homework, grr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    I have 4 projects to do, but it shouldn't take to long. wish I was just reading too though.

which subject are you dropping?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami C)
    I finished my exams on Friday 10th June, and went back on Monday 13th! That sucked. I completely agree with you, especially as I have so many free periods due to teachers not turning up and students bunking off so lessons get cancelled. However, school finished on Wednesday, so right now I don't mind, holiday on Sunday!
    :eek: I still have 3 weeks to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami C)
    I went back on the Weds 23th June, and my last exam was on the Friday before that- so some of you have it a lot worse off than me on that, but if i end up have 3 pieces of coursework to do- i shall not be impressed! (i won't get biology- we're going to kilvrough in October to do it)

ReputationRep:
    I've finished! I'm still in school for rehearsals for a music trip though

ReputationRep:
    You will thank yourself for working now in January when your first exams come about. It's a lot to fit in. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *steph 247*)
    I have 4 projects to do, but it shouldn't take to long. wish I was just reading too though.

which subject are you dropping?
    history, without a doubt! i've warned my parents that i'm going to fail that and even if i don't fail, i'm not doing it next year. keep dreaming that i fail all my other exams and get an A in history :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I went back to school to start A2 lessons on 16th June

I had 4 maths exams after this date

go figure >.< .

However, I haven't really been doing a lot, only really going to chemistry lessons.
    After my S2 exam I went straight to a Chemistry lesson which was packed full off theory about the addition of ions onto arenes, after which I had a splitting headache needless to say :p:

edit: I have started going to all lessons since my last exam finished mind, this is the first time in my school life I have had proper free periods, glorious :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    You will thank yourself for working now in January when your first exams come about. It's a lot to fit in. xx
    my school only does resits in jan, i'm pretty sure. I got away without doing any extra revision for AS until february. I don't appreciate the way teachers try and make it interesting with posters and presentations. But they don't teach us it either- they just tell us to use the book or reseach on our own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    I think I'll only be doing 1 A2 history paper in January, but that's assuming I won't need to do any AS resits, and if I don't need to reist at least 1 English unit, it will be a miracle :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Yes! We didn't even get a week off at my school; I finished my exams on the Wednesday and started A2 on the Monday, so 2 days! Some people didn't even get that because they had exams later than I did. Personally I think it's ridiculous to expect us to work hard all year, do loads of revision for our AS exams and then come back to school such a short time later raring to go for A2s! I'm not doing much in English or French at the moment, and history isn't too strenuous either, but in sociology we're doing our coursework, straight after doing the AS coursework, and it's really hard to find the energy! I'll probably have lots of research to do over the holidays for French coursework, not to mention wider reading for uni, finishing my personal statement and actually choosing my unis! *Sigh* at least it'll keep me busy, I guess...
    Sorry if I repeat what others have said (I've only read the first two posts). I don't agree with the thread starter that it's dumb to only have a week off at AS before A2 starts; purely because they don't want you to get into a slacking habbit over a long holiday, thus, come back to college brain dead and needing to be taught basics again. Just my thoughts, I don't even do AS so I guess my opinion won't be valued much here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    Sorry if I repeat what others have said (I've only read the first two posts). I don't agree with the thread starter that it's dumb to only have a week off at AS before A2 starts; purely because they don't want you to get into a slacking habbit over a long holiday, thus, come back to college brain dead and needing to be taught basics again. Just my thoughts, I don't even do AS so I guess my opinion won't be valued much here.
    I think maybe that week off put me into a slacking habit? Or maybe we just deserve a break. No-one can work hard all the time, and it's unreasonable to expect us to, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    My (now ex-) teachers would kill me for saying this, but the few weeks of A2 you do now really don't matter all that much. Loads of people don't turn up, and those that do are often distracted (understandably: you have just done the biggest exams of your life so far) and keener to go out and play in the sun than work, and then even if you do learn anything, you have six weeks plus in which to forget it all before school starts properly in September. For these reasons, most teachers recognise that you don't do your best work at this point, which is why they're generally more lenient and don't throw anything too weighty at you. Just make sure you file whatever work you do neatly away so you can go through it again when you get back into the swing of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    My (now ex-) teachers would kill me for saying this, but the few weeks of A2 you do now really don't matter all that much. Loads of people don't turn up, and those that do are often distracted (understandably: you have just done the biggest exams of your life so far) and keener to go out and play in the sun than work, and then even if you do learn anything, you have six weeks plus in which to forget it all before school starts properly in September. For these reasons, most teachers recognise that you don't do your best work at this point, which is why they're generally more lenient and don't throw anything too weighty at you.
    5/7 of my teachers are taking the opposite attitude. There's not much time so give then EXTRA work, not impressed.
    I'm skiving today even though I only had a 50 min lesson, I should do some work but the stuff I have is utterly ridiculous. :mad:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.