Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently finishing my modern languages degree, will (hopefully) get a 2.i or better. The university is good also.
    If I was going into banking/finances, what postgraduate degree/program will allow me to do that? Because I doubt very much the companies would be taking people with "humaniterian" degrees like mine :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Many people go into banking from reading the websites of the investment banks from a variety of backgrounds, the business world is ever international so being able to speak a multitude of languages is a huge bonus, that international firms seems to be looking for. I quite like the idea of doing a MSC in financial economics which Oxford offer or something along those lines, you could maybe give that a try.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the idea of a Masters does not appeal to me because by the time I will finish that I will of a certain age when maybe these types of multinationals are not looking for anymore. Thinking of applying in my final year of university for the big companies with just my degree and languages.

ReputationRep:
    language degrees are looked VERY favourably upon so dont feel that itll hold you back in any way. you just need to prove u have an interest in the financial world and ull be on an even footing if not a higher footing than someone doing economics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I will be applying to the biggest accounting firms and management ones as well. Going to all presentations and careers days, hopefully will have enough time away from final year university.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.