Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fry)
    How come women can say that without getting shouted at/fired/sued but if a man does it he gets all of those?
    ok... that was wrong to say, but in some cases dont u think its true??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satans_*****xx)
    ok... in that was wrong to say, but in some cases dont u think its true??

Yeh sure but we tend to think rationally in all other matters so it doesent really effect us And we can sight many things that are equally true about women only difference being we get branded as being sexist.

Also this undermines the argument on others womens issues and makes men take it less seriously - if your constantly joking about us why should we take you seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fry)
    Yeh sure but we tend to think rationally in all other matters so it doesent really effect us And we can sight many things that are equally true about women only difference being we get branded as being sexist.
    because u men are "strong" and "manly" and can handle these petty little sexist remarks. and we can do it, because u generally start it, and weve (not me, women in generations before mysekf) have put up with sexist statements alot longer than u. u complaining about it- maybe now u know how it felt for women yea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fry)

Also this undermines the argument on others womens issues and makes men take it less seriously - if your constantly joking about us why should we take you seriously?
    believe me i wasnt joking with what i said, u have to take women seriously because life is a serious matter, same as women have to take men seriously, i must say tho dont u think women get on far better with men in conversation rather than single sex convesations?

ReputationRep:
    well said kita!!

but are we? if a gorgeous woman walks down the street with the ugliest man on her arm he's the luckiest man alive, if a gorgeous man walks down the street with the ugliest woman he would be the laughing stock of the world! and still the idealist view of family life is that the woman stays at home and cooks a meal ready for the children and her husband to come home to, she doesnt have a job because her husband does that for her, my family is the total opposite, both my parents work, my mum makes the most money and we share anything that has to be done at home, cooking etc
    Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, because you're thinking of it from the blokes view in both.
    Are you saying that the gorgeous girl's friends wouldnt snigger at the ugly bloke!?!
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    Even in brains has always been the case and it is insulting to suggest that women weren't always intellectually equal to men. However, I do feel we have come a long way in securing the recognition we deserve, there are just a few minor issues to clear up now:
    1. Losing your job because you get pregnant
    2. The metaphorical 'glass ceiling' in large companies
    3. The stupid new idea women can do everything!
    xxx
    That's a hard one to combat. If pregnant women are given too many rights, employers won't want to employ any woman in case they became pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    im doing a drama production based on suffragettes and it has made me look even more closely to the difference between men and women in the same circumstances i.e in the workplace, shopping. i want to know what other people think about equality between the sexes. :confused:

I personally believe that men and women are equal in all areas and this is still not being acknowledged. Just look at the statistics for women's salaries in top jobs.. its much lower than mens- and this is despite us acheiving better grades at A-level. Yeah there are physical differences, but so what? Nowadays a lot of women are fitter than men. It's a generalisation dating back to cavemen days. I admire the suffragettes and the entire feminist movement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I personally believe that men and women are equal in all areas and this is still not being acknowledged. Just look at the statistics for women's salaries in top jobs.. its much lower than mens- and this is despite us acheiving better grades at A-level. Yeah there are physical differences, but so what? Nowadays a lot of women are fitter than men. It's a generalisation dating back to cavemen days. I admire the suffragettes and the entire feminist movement.
    equal in capacity in all areas? hardly.
    what statistics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    equal in capacity in all areas? hardly.
    Want to elaborate?

what statistics?
    The statistics that I was referring to were in the Guardian some time ago. I can't find them but there are lots of articles on the net that will back me up. Here's one:

http://www.ius.edu/journalism/2000/yfemale.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Want to elaborate?
    your talking about 'all areas', you elaborate.

The statistics that I was referring to were in the Guardian some time ago. I can't find them but there are lots of articles on the net that will back me up. Here's one:

http://www.ius.edu/journalism/2000/yfemale.html
    what does that article say?

women are being discriminated against? no.
    women dont have the same opportunities? no.
    women can obtain the same salaries and positions? yes.
    women hold less positions of power than men? yes.

ReputationRep:
    your talking about 'all areas', you elaborate.

what does that article say?

women are being discriminated against? no.
    women dont have the same opportunities? no.
    women can obtain the same salaries and positions? yes.
    women hold less positions of power than men? yes.
    I think you've misread it (although I admit that wasn't a great article but it was the first I found)..

"The glass ceiling is still there but it's cracking" is basically what the article is saying. This suggest that women are still being dicriminated against, they don't have the same opportunities- but if they persist with combatting this discrimination they could in future obtain the same salaries and positions as men.

How can you elaborate on ALL areas? I mean just that..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I think you've misread it (although I admit that wasn't a great article but it was the first I found)..

"The glass ceiling is still there but it's cracking" is basically what the article is saying. This suggest that women are still being dicriminated against, they don't have the same opportunities- but if they persist with combatting this discrimination they could in future obtain the same salaries and positions as men.

How can you elaborate on ALL areas? I mean just that..
    what ceiling though? its a very vague analogy that doesnt really serve any purpose as far as equality in the workplace is concerned.
    something objective such as,
    "According to a study by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, newly graduated women engineers earn slightly more then male colleagues"

is more effective.

and i repeat my question, equal in CAPACITY in all areas? women and men share equal ability in volume orientation and communicative skills?
    women and men share common interests and opinions on social ideas of commitment and love?
    women and men share common life goals, such as power and wealth?

ReputationRep:
    im doing a drama production based on suffragettes and it has made me look even more closely to the difference between men and women in the same circumstances i.e in the workplace, shopping. i want to know what other people think about equality between the sexes. :confused:
    Women actually makeup the majority of the population, which is interesting because generally it isminority groups which are the ones who don't do as well, and yet there are more women then men.Well, thats what my lecturer said the other week anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Women actually makeup the majority of the population, which is interesting because generally it isminority groups which are the ones who don't do as well, and yet there are more women then men.Well, thats what my lecturer said the other week anyway.
    women dont do aswell in what, having a life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    You cant class men as a minority group! LOL 47% isnt enough to call it a 'minority group' lol

ReputationRep:
    and i repeat my question, equal in CAPACITY in all areas? women and men share equal ability in volume orientation and communicative skills?
    The biological difference in the brain is minimal and so won't effect the performance of someone in their career.
    women and men share common interests and opinions on social ideas of commitment and love?
    No one person shares common interests and opinions on social ideas on love. Individuals are different in their beliefs and it makes no difference if your a man or a woman.
    women and men share common life goals, such as power and wealth?
    Same argument as the above. Individuals have thier own life goals- I think that the economic environment in which someone lives will have more of an effect on your goals than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    women dont do aswell in what, having a life?
    I think the examples he mentioned were money earning, career advancement in general, political leadership and another one which I have forgotten. When I get home later I can dig out my notes and pm you if you like (not much of this particular lecture sunk in!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, because you're thinking of it from the blokes view in both.
    Are you saying that the gorgeous girl's friends wouldnt snigger at the ugly bloke!?!
    J
    normally, no! most girl's friends, tend to stick by them............. no matter how ugly the guy is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    normally, no! most girl's friends, tend to stick by them............. no matter how ugly the guy is!
    either way, it was a ridiculous example.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.