Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I think the examples he mentioned were money earning, career advancement in general, political leadership and another one which I have forgotten. When I get home later I can dig out my notes and pm you if you like (not much of this particular lecture sunk in!)
    but more men find stimulation in those areas than women. its degrading to assume that they are the only factors to contribute to someones success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Well gender wise they quite clearly are. Women makeup the majority, and the remainder bar a few intersex individuals (I dont quite understand how this categorisation works though) are male. The minority. The difference isnt especially pronounced in percentage terms, though I suppose 2% of the people on earth is quite a high figure numerically.
    It is argued that there are more women on the earth than men, because men are less needed in reproduction than women. A man can have 20 babies in the same time it takes for a woman to have 1, meaning that 20 women are needed to make 20 babies, but it isnt the same for men.

Vienna and Elle, I think you are arguing the same points! I cant differentiate your opinions lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    The biological difference in the brain is minimal and so won't effect the performance of someone in their career.
    are you kidding? the mental capacities of men and women are different and effect our behaviour in every walk of life.

No one person shares common interests and opinions on social ideas on love. Individuals are different in their beliefs and it makes no difference if your a man or a woman.

Same argument as the above. Individuals have thier own life goals- I think that the economic environment in which someone lives will have more of an effect on your goals than anything else.
    so how can you talk about equality when you acknowledge yourself that most people differ.the fact is, by in large, women dont put as much importance on success in the workplace as men do. in fact in the last few years, more women have gone part-time or retired early than ever before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    Vienna and Elle, I think you are arguing the same points! I cant differentiate your opinions lol
    I don't really know what point Vienna is trying to make.. but judging from previous posts she definatley does not have the same opinion as me on women and equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I think the examples he mentioned were money earning, career advancement in general, political leadership and another one which I have forgotten. When I get home later I can dig out my notes and pm you if you like (not much of this particular lecture sunk in!)
    young women,mainly before marriage/having kids, do better than men...........but it's afterwards, wen men don't take part of the responsibility of looking after the kids etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I don't really know what point Vienna is trying to make.. but judging from previous posts she definatley does not have the same opinion as me on women and equality.
    i think we both believe that men and women should have equal rights.

however, i believe women should be treated and accepted as women and men as men.
    elle believes we are all the same, as do the liberal left, despite medical science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    young women,mainly before marriage/having kids, do better than men...........but it's afterwards, wen men don't take part of the responsibility of looking after the kids etc.
    you believe that a woman should raise a child and have a career at the same time?

i definately do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    so how can you talk about equality when you acknowledge yourself that most people differ.the fact is, by in large, women dont put as much importance on success in the workplace as men do. in fact in the last few years, more women have gone part-time or retired early than ever before.
    Yes people are different but that does not mean that they should all be given the same opportunities.

Perhaps women did so because the same doors weren't being opened to them as they were to men.. forcing them to change their careers and live a stereotypical lifestyle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    What?!?!?!!?!

You cant say men dont take part in the responsibility of looking after the kids!!!!!!

How overgeneralised is that!! Many women are more than happy to give up their jobs to look after the kids. Im sure if the woman was determined enough to stay at work, the man would look after the baby.

ReputationRep:
    you believe that a woman should raise a child and have a career at the same time?

i definately do not.
    Thats outrageous!! A lot of women do this.. and they do it well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Thats outrageous!! A lot of women do this.. and they do it well..
    whats outrageous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Yes people are different but that does not mean that they should all be given the same opportunities.

Perhaps women did so because the same doors weren't being opened to them as they were to men.. forcing them to change their careers and live a stereotypical lifestyle
    I wouldnt agree with that elle. Women are given the same opportunities as men, in fact in many careers it is the other way round (such as in childcare) when men are frowned upon due to social attitudes. It isnt just a one way thing - I feel that some women are slightly paranoid over this issue - it isnt as common as they make out.

ReputationRep:
    whats outrageous?
    er.. your statement.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

i definately do not.
    why not?? i know alot of women who do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I personally believe that men and women are equal in all areas and this is still not being acknowledged. Just look at the statistics for women's salaries in top jobs.. its much lower than mens- and this is despite us acheiving better grades at A-level. Yeah there are physical differences, but so what? Nowadays a lot of women are fitter than men. It's a generalisation dating back to cavemen days. I admire the suffragettes and the entire feminist movement.
    As i said before
    Feminism has gone too far, it is now affirmative action, which is also discrimination, ie You get a job because you are female, not because you are better qualified, so that a company can bring its balance up to 50-50.

The pay gap has been shown to be the difference in men and women's attitudes. In a Harvard study they showed that the average difference in salary for university leavers (this is off the top of my head, so I cant remember all the facts) was $1,057.
    They also found that only 15% of women bargained to raise their salary whereas 70% of men aggressively refused the deal that was on the table. Surprise, surprise, the average pay rise gained by their bargaining was $1,056.

So i would put forward that the difference may be due to biological makeup and attitude to life as opposed to sexism.

Search for ha ha ha - the previous thread on a similar line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    What?!?!?!!?!

You cant say men dont take part in the responsibility of looking after the kids!!!!!!

How overgeneralised is that!! Many women are more than happy to give up their jobs to look after the kids. Im sure if the woman was determined enough to stay at work, the man would look after the baby.
    "happy" because they know they're husband won't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    er.. your statement.. :rolleyes:
    i meant whats outrageous about it, the fact that i believe children should be brought up full time by at least one of their parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    It depends on who is earning the most. It is expensive raising a child!

ReputationRep:
    i meant whats outrageous about it, the fact that i believe children should be brought up full time by at least one of their parents?
    I think you impled that it should always be the woman that does it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    i think not. they just dont find work that thrilling. who can blame them. whats better than looking after your child full time?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.