Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well he should have a lengthy prison sentance anyway but while i usually couldnt care less about the circumstances of the criminal involved this boy has (unless im getting mixed up with another case) suffered a truly horrific upbringing - his mother a heroin addict and prostitute who repeatedly raped the boy from the age of toddler onwards and would routinely invite groups of men home to have sex with her in front of the kids - with men abusing the boy as well.

ReputationRep:
    First up, even though what he did is unquestionably horrific, we have to remember that this is still only a minor we are dealing with. Plus we don't know what kin of personal or mental issues he was dealing with at the time. So its crazy to be running around saying he should be shot. He shouldn't really even be getting life in prison. Life is not the usual punishment adult for rapists or even paedophiles. I think that being eligible for parole after four years is a fair decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 98cesc)
    we have to remember that this is still only a minor we are dealing with.
    This is one of the greatest and consistant nonsense argument put forward by liberals. Minors of this age are well aware of what they are doing and the difference between right and wrong. Being 15/14/13 should not make you any less responsible than someone who is 16.
    Plus we don't know what kin of personal or mental issues he was dealing with at the time.
    See my above post. He should be pitied yes, counseled as well but this should not shorten his sentance by any means. He remains a danger and should not be allowed into society.
    So its crazy to be running around saying he should be shot. He shouldn't really even be getting life in prison. Life is not the usual punishment adult for rapists or even paedophiles. I think that being eligible for parole after four years is a fair decision.
    His age is irrelevant here. If you had read into the case in greater depth you would be aware of the fact that the judge thought him to be such a threat that the length of the sentance was required. If he was released after 4 years others would suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    This is one of the greatest and consistant nonsense argument put forward by liberals. Minors of this age are well aware of what they are doing and the difference between right and wrong. Being 15/14/13 should not make you any less responsible than someone who is 16.

See my above post. He should be pitied yes, counseled as well but this should not shorten his sentance by any means. He remains a danger and should not be allowed into society.

His age is irrelevant here. If you had read into the case in greater depth you would be aware of the fact that the judge thought him to be such a threat that the length of the sentance was required. If he was released after 4 years others would suffer.
    I have read into the case and it is the same judge who who has put forward the possibility of parole after 4 years so the judge must agree that it might be enough. If he was positive 4 years wasn't long enough why would parole be a possibility so soon.

And of course age is relevent in this situation. I never said that being under 16 means he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong. However minors (especially males) are not as mature as grown adults and that is a fact. But when you realise that fuuly grown rapists and paedophiles do not even get life sentences, that is justification for a shorter sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 98cesc)
    I have read into the case and it is the same judge who who has put forward the possibility of parole after 4 years so the judge must agree that it might be enough.
    The judge agrees 4 years is enough in certain cases. In this one emphatically not.
    And of course age is relevent in this situation. I never said that being under 16 means he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong. However minors (especially males) are not as mature as grown adults and that is a fact.
    I would never dream of raping anyone when i was under 16. Nor would most boys. He knew what he did was wrong and his age is irrelevant.
    But when you realise that fuuly grown rapists and paedophiles do not even get life sentences, that is justification for a shorter sentence.
    This case is unique - as are all cases. That paedophile/rapist X is judged to be a lesser danger to society than this guy and consequently get lesser sentances should have no bearing on the sentance which has been deemed specifically appropriate for this boy.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think it is a bit sick of us to choose our own punishment methods for someone who has been reported to have emotional problems? Does anyone else think that we do not know enough about this individual to make a reasoned judgement? Does anyone else think this 'beat him and hang him' mentality symbolises the worst of humanity?

ReputationRep:
    We've had a lot of teacher/student rape cases in the news earlier this year on this side of the pond. Here is one case that got a lot of attention:

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=11026

The situation is different than what happened in Westminster City School and public reaction has been quite different as well.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Does anyone else think it is a bit sick of us to choose our own punishment methods for someone who has been reported to have emotional problems? Does anyone else think that we do not know enough about this individual to make a reasoned judgement? Does anyone else think this 'beat him and hang him' mentality symbolises the worst of humanity?
    Probably. The responses are directed at the crime of rape generally rather than this specific case though.

ReputationRep:

No its about justice. Stop defending a rapist, it is evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    The judge agrees 4 years is enough in certain cases. In this one emphatically not.

I would never dream of raping anyone when i was under 16. Nor would most boys. He knew what he did was wrong and his age is irrelevant.

This case is unique - as are all cases. That paedophile/rapist X is judged to be a lesser danger to society than this guy and consequently get lesser sentances should have no bearing on the sentance which has been deemed specifically appropriate for this boy.
    What are you talking about. In this case the judge does agree that 4 years is enough otherwise it wouldn't be a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    All rape is not on. And all rape should have a prison sentance

ReputationRep:
    I heard about this, very sad

I mean he did have a psychological problem due to his family background and people on here just keep critising him, but think about it in his perspective, he's probably stressed and thinks the world is out to get him.

I feel for these people, and would do anything to help.

ReputationRep:
    No its about justice. Stop defending a rapist, it is evil.
    It's justice to beat an emotionally unstable teenager or shoot him? It's justice for us to sit in our armchairs pontificating as to what particular type of wood we will use to beat him with? I'm defending the rapist against being cyber-beaten by a gang of middle class armchair vigilantes. I would defend Saddam Hussein against a death sentence, just as I would anyone. The very reason we find these crimes so abhorrent is because we have morals and human rights. By advocating murder or torture we're lowering standards as a whole.

In my view there are only two things we need to think about with criminals.

1) Protection of wider society is paramount. Lock them away for as long as necessary if we still think they are dangerous
    2) How can we help this person? Councilling? Education?Solitary confinement? A tougher sentence?

The idea of punishment just for punishments sake offers nothing to anybody.

ReputationRep:
    How can we help this person? Councilling? Education?Solitary confinement? A tougher sentence?
    Do to him what he did to us.

Rape him!

ReputationRep:
    Horrid, absolutely horrid; poor teacher, how traumatic.

ReputationRep:
    Do to him what he did to us.

Rape him!
    Sorry to hear he got you too.

ReputationRep:
    It's justice to beat an emotionally unstable teenager or shoot him?
    Yes. His age is irrelavent, he knows what is right and what is wrong. Unstable? he still did wrong, there is still a victim and anyway everyone could be argued o be emotionally unstable in one way or another.

It's justice for us to sit in our armchairs pontificating as to what particular type of wood we will use to beat him with? I'm defending the rapist against being cyber-beaten by a gang of middle class armchair vigilantes. I would defend Saddam Hussein against a death sentence, just as I would anyone. The very reason we find these crimes so abhorrent is because we have morals and human rights. By advocating murder or torture we're lowering standards as a whole.

In my view there are only two things we need to think about with criminals.

1) Protection of wider society is paramount. Lock them away for as long as necessary if we still think they are dangerous
    2) How can we help this person? Councilling? Education?Solitary confinement? A tougher sentence?

The idea of punishment just for punishments sake offers nothing to anybody.
    Tell that to the rape victim. Your too concerend with how we can move on from this, sometimes its just right to punish. This is because some of us have principles. We side with victims, not criminals.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear he got you too.
    This cavalier attitude is what is wrong with your views. You care about the criminal far too much.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. His age is irrelavent, he knows what is right and what is wrong. Unstable? he still did wrong, there is still a victim and anyway everyone could be argued o be emotionally unstable in one way or another.
    His age is not irrelevent. Do you then support child executions? Is this what you're really saying?

ReputationRep:
    His age is not irrelevent. Do you then support child executions? Is this what you're really saying? What good would it do do have the state kill children? (I suppose thay've already started overseas) Or maybe you'd like to privatise it?

Tell that to the rape victim. Your too concerend with how we can move on from this, sometimes its just right to punish.
    'It's just right.' That's a good reactionary argument. Punishment for punishment's sake serves NO ONE. It does not save the woman from the ordeal and it does not help the person reform. I do side with the victim, only I am sane enough to acknowledge that, on some occasions, the perptrator may already be a victim and that if they are not, prison and beatings will make one of them.

This is because some of us have principles.
    Yes. One of mine is 'Thou shalt not murder.' Kids included.

This cavalier attitude is what is wrong with your views. You care about the criminal far too much.
    I care about all people. But how does it help the victim to beat the attacker? We are not in some hillbilly village in Iran where they let the grannies kick the **** out of the criminals in a public square.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.