Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    But it is quite interesting why a person would rape, as his sexual desires cannot be the only factor to give the *boost*.

I would recommend a Rapetology section be introduced in the medical sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Not all rapists are mentally ill! That's a ridiculous thing to say.
    Hell is it! There are certain acts I could never do if I remained sane and reasonable. That's one. A person with a balanced, healthy mind could not rape another human being.

ReputationRep:
    This rapist can still be classed as 'a rapist' of course. Fin.
    Yes, but not in this context were we are familiar with THE case and THE rapist. So, do you accept rapists can be victims?

This is not a revolution, he got where he is due to a bunch of muslims in some london hell hole. Here today, gone tommorrow. Deep down you know this, especially as Brown succeeds and moves to the left.
    Who said anything about revolution? 'A bunch of muslims.' What an insulting way to describe up to 50% of George Galloway MP's constituents. They deserve RESPECT.

I know this? I know I see our membership soaring, I know I see Galloway getting favourable coverage on many TV shows, I see packed RESPECT meetings and rallies. This is a pattern repeating itself all over Europe. Brown move to the left? Which Blairite plan exactly didn't he finance? If they do genuinely move left, then RESPECT has succeeded.

X- the act of cutting someones penis off. Just because an evil person does something does not make the act evil
    The Taleban let victims or victims families choose how to punish the criminal so long as it fell within what the Taleban interpreted as Shariah law. So you are advocating a similar system.

ReputationRep:
    Zhivago - Do you think it is normal for a person to serial rape and possibly kill? Do you think it is logical to harm someone in order to make you feel better because they harmed you?

ReputationRep:
    ]Yes, but not in this context were we are familiar with THE case and THE rapist.
    No again your wrong. I refer you to my past response.

Who said anything about revolution? 'A bunch of muslims.' What an insulting way to describe up to 50% of George Galloway MP's constituents. They deserve RESPECT.
    HAHAHA. They earn respect, they are not given it. Who are you to talk about insulting, your the one who sides with rapists!!

I know this? I know I see our membership soaring, I know I see Galloway getting favourable coverage on many TV shows, I see packed RESPECT meetings and rallies.
    Foot said the same things in the early 1980s and we all know what happened to him. Thatcher destroyed him.

This is a pattern repeating itself all over Europe.
    Really? Le Pen? Haider? Free Peoples party in Switzerland? The expected success of the CDU in Germany. Berlusconi?

The Taleban let victims or victims families choose how to punish the criminal so long as it fell within what the Taleban interpreted as Shariah law. So you are advocating a similar system.
    And? My point remains which you have not countered. For example you no doubt think it was right for the miners to strike (just like i think it is right to defend the above) but hopefully you think it would have been wrong to kill policemen or 'scabs' (just like i think the taliaban was an evil regime).

ReputationRep:
    Zhivago - Do you think it is normal for a person to serial rape and possibly kill? Do you think it is logical to harm someone in order to make you feel better because they harmed you?
    Of course I don't think it's normal for an individual to serial rape and kill, but that does not mean the individual is mentally impaired by any means. This is why when they are sentenced, they are not sent to institutions or hospitals, they are sent to prison. The few that are really impaired, are sent to hospitals etc. Commiting these crimes is obviously not normality, but the people that do commit them are not mentally ill, often, they are just, as flippant as it may sound, 'evil'. They do not have good intentions. The serial rapist who raped my sister was not mentally ill. He was just a *******.

Do you think it is logical to harm someone in order to make you feel better because they harmed you?
    To answer this question; yes, I do think it's logical actually! I think it's a natural human response. I think if my mother ever saw my sister's rapist again, she'd ****ing rip his head off! This is how arguments etc develop, if someone insults you, you bloody well insult them back don't you! Yes, this is logical, it is how the human brain works. Revenge it's called.

Here, see for yourself, the damage my sister's rapist did. I'm not having people sticking up for them. It was all over the newspapers and stuff. Do you know how horrible it was having to open up The Guardian and The Daily Mail and see this story?

Kirkby Times

icLiverpool

He lived in my street as well. His family still do, I have to see them every day, as does my sister. He'd been in my house before, fitting a TV aerial. He'd been in my bedroom, and I'd made him a cup of tea. He ruined my sister's A-Levels because of the stress she suffered over the trial etc, and giving evidence. (She got AAAA at AS Level), and then her grades dropped to (ABCD). He pleaded not guilty the whole time leading up to the trial, and then changed his plea the day before. *******.

ReputationRep:
    I refer you to my past response.
    Yes and again there is no reason to suggest you would say 'a' unless speaking generally.

Who are you to talk about insulting, your the one who sides with rapists!!
    How does one side with a rapist?

HAHAHA. They earn respect, they are not given it.
    And they have now they've elected a decent MP.

Foot said the same things in the early 1980s and we all know what happened to him. Thatcher destroyed him.
    I'm not counting on RESPECT competing for government.

Really? Le Pen? Haider? Free Peoples party in Switzerland? The expected success of the CDU in Germany. Berlusconi?
    I'm talking about the real left not a bunch of neo liberal psuedo social democrats. There is a new United left emerging in Germany with La Fontaine, PDS and a new, smaller left party. There are the Refounded Communists of Italy, the Spanish and Portuguese left blocs as well as the rise of the left in Bulgaria and the Czech Republic.

Yes, I do think the miners were right and no i don't think they should have killed anyone (unless in self defence) I'm not saying that by advocating the Taleban style system that you are a Talebani. I'm saying that that is your moral level in regard to this issue and you should be worried about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason why there are varied opinions about the justification of rape, is due to the fact that there are different aspects/ kinds of rapes.

There is considerable debate as to what constitutes proper and complete consent in a sexual relationship. How explicit consent should be, how frequently it needs to be established, and what constitutes diminished capacity (usually due to drugs or alcohol) are all subjects of some disagreement. These debates take place both on moral and ethical grounds, and as a legal issue, since rape can only be convicted as a crime with intent in many jurisdictions, and the erroneous belief of consent is a common defense.

Violent rape is when violence beyond the rape itself is a part of the assault. This may include physical force or threat of harm, including death threats or threats against a family member. People who commit violent rapes include strangers and people the victim already knows. Proportionally, more violent rapes are more likely to be reported.

National and regional governments, citing an interest in protecting minors, consider people under a certain age to be unable to give informed consent. The age at which individuals are considered competent to give consent is the age of consent. Sexual contact with an individual below the age of consent is considered to be rape even if that person agrees to the sexual activity. The limits set by each state vary in accordance with local standards, and range from 12 to 21. Sex which violates age of consent law but is neither violent nor physically coerced is sometimes described as statutory rape.

The term acquaintance rape refers to sexual activity or rape between people who are already acquainted, or who know each other socially - friends, acquaintances, people on a date, or even people in an existing romantic relationship, where it is alleged that consent for sexual activity was not given, or was given under duress. In most jurisdictions, there is no legal distinction between rape committed by a stranger, or by an acquaintance, friend or lover.

There is often more difficulty in securing conviction against an assailant who was known at the time. This is due to the "grey" nature of the situation the standard of proof required for non-consensual sexual activity is often harder to meet (or easier to deny), than when two strangers meet or there has been violence.

In general, some evidence suggests that rapists are far more likely to know their victims than not. Other reports suggest that it can work both ways, not only acquaintance rape is more common than previously thought, but also situations of this kind can give rise to false allegations more often than had been expected.

Some cases of date rape are colloquially described as "grey rape" cases because, while the alleged victim expresses displeasure at the encounter, he or she cannot demonstrate nonconsent. The expression "grey rape" refers to the absence of information - there is nothing actually "grey" in the act itself: if the act was nonconsensual then it is considered rape, even if not actionably so. Contributing factors to "grey" rape include poor communication by either party, misleading or (deliberately) misread body language, or the feeling by one party of being unsure or unable to express what one wishes (which may be for many reasons).

Drugging
    Hypnotic agents such as flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) and GHB, known as "date rape drugs", have been used by rapists to render their victims unconscious before raping them. According the to DEA, "Victims may not be aware that they ingested a drug at all. GHB and its analogues are invisible when dissolved in water, and are odorless. They are somewhat salty tasting, but are indiscernible when dissolved in beverages such as sodas, liquor, or beer." According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse "Rohypnol can incapacitate victims and prevent them from resisting sexual assault. It can produce "anterograde amnesia," which means individuals may not remember events they experienced while under the effects of the drug." The sedative effects of Rohypnol begin to appear approximately 15–20 minutes after the drug is ingested. The effects typically last from 4–6 hours after administration of the drug, but some cases have been reported in which the effects were experienced 12 or more hours after administration. These drugs are extremely dangerous and may kill or render the victim comatose. It is imperative that any investigation into the suspected use of date rape drugs involve the taking of blood from the victim and an immediate test of the blood, as the length of time between the taking of the blood and the testing for these drugs results in a degradation of the drug in the blood, even after it has been drawn. Waiting too long to test for the presence of date rape drugs may cause false negatives.

However, trying to deduce whether date rape drugs have been used from symptoms is an approach that can cause false positives. In Perth, Australia in 2003, during a time when the media were reporting a drink-spiking epidemic, 44 women had their blood tested because they believed they had been the victims of drink spiking. The West Australian Chemistry Centre tested the blood samples and in these 44 cases, the only substance found in the victim's system was excessive alcohol (which in large amounts has the same effects as "date rape" drugs, causing unconsciousness and memory loss). Police said that the blood-alcohol level of most of the subjects was significantly higher than the women themselves expected, based on their assessment of the amount of drinks consumed, and commented:

"While we can't dismiss all cases, the results suggest that a fair proportion of drink spiking is just an urban myth ... It seems that a proportion of young women are getting incredibly intoxicated and using drink spiking as an excuse to explain behaviour they are not happy with."

Testing kits that claim to detect GHB, Ketamine and benzodiazepines such as Rohypnol in seconds are commercially available under names such as "The Drink Detective".

Males can also be raped (more commonly by other males, but also by females). It is a myth that a man cannot be forced into sex. Men are just as traumatized by rape as female victims. In many countries rape of males is legally classified under a different law or name, however the nature of the incident, and its consequences, are similar or identical. It is said that rape of males is taken less seriously due to the stereotypical views held about males in modern Western society.

Common myths - Male victims, like female victims, do not all "want sex", nor does the physiological effect of erection or orgasm mean that sex was "really wanted" or "liked". (A capable assailant can force these physical responses in the majority of males, given appropriate planning for their assault). Also male on male rape doesn't imply homosexuality of either party. Mens' Rights lobbyists are pushing for tougher "male rape" laws, and have gained some success--for example, fellating a man without his permission is grounds for a charge of second degree rape in the United States.

In circumstances where torture is being employed as a means of military or governmental policy, rape of both female and male detainees is a common element of that torture. It is used often as a means to "soften" detainees for interrogation or to intimidate them into compliance. In societies with strong social taboos on sexuality, sexual torture is commonly used to destroy the credibility and influence of politically dissident individuals.

Rape under such circumstances often has even more profoundly negative psychological effects than under circumstances in which sexual assaults usually happen.

Trafficking is a term to define the recruiting, harboring, obtaining, transportation of a person by use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjecting them to involuntary acts, the most common being forced commercial sexual exploitation (forced prostitution).

Gang-rape (also known as "pack rape" or "gang bang") occurs when a group of people participates in the rape of a single victim. It is far more damaging for the victim, and in some jurisdictions is punished more severely than rape by one person. "Gang bang" is also a slang term for consensual group sex.

According to Roy Hazelwood, a profiler of sexual crimes, " Gang rape involves three or more offenders and you always have a leader and a reluctant participant. Those are extremely violent, and what you find is that they're playing for each other's approval. It gets into a pack mentality and can be horrendous."

The most common effect of rape on victims is psychological. In the past, survivors of rape and sexual assault were often diagnosed with Rape Trauma Syndrome

ReputationRep:
    To answer this question; yes
    Ok. Maybe it's logical, maybe it's instinct. But does it really help anyone?

I'm not having people sticking up for them.
    I'm sticking up for human rights. I'm sticking up for rationale. You cite the trauma suffered by your sister, and I truly receive your story with a heavy heart, and point out how it affected her life. Would denying help to the person who committed the crime make it better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vijay1)
    Whats more bad:

Student raping teacher?
    Teacher raping student?

Both have happened many times.
    Any rape is horrific, no matter what the circumstance... However, child rape, or "baby rape" makes me so angry, that is when the rapists should start getting castrated and left to burn in my opinion... That's the worst ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    Any rape is horrific, no matter what the circumstance... However, child rape, or "baby rape" makes me so angry, that is when the rapists should start getting castrated and left to burn in my opinion... That's the worst ever.
    Oh yeh, theres also cases where the father rapes his teenage or younger daughter. - sick :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Can we not go into the specifics perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    I agree baby rape is horrific, but as you say, it all is. But how people can rape a baby is beyond me. I'm sure I heard about a baby which was raped by it's uncle.

And on a lighter note, Shamen, I think you may have been beaten for 'longest post on TSR'!! (Scroll up!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Can we not go into the specifics perhaps?
    Yes but if you want to address the issue of rape properly, you would have to consider all aspects of it. Rape isn't just Rape, its categorised specifically.

ReputationRep:
    "I am glad the boy has been given a lengthy period of incarceration - not out of vengeance but to protect others from what I have been through.

"Incarceration alone is not enough. He needs help and treatment," she said.

"Had he received that help and treatment at an earlier stage, maybe I would not have suffered at his hands."
    This is the view of the women who was raped.

ReputationRep:
    Castration, branding, life imprisonment with hard labour (or repatriation and aid cancellation to his home country if he's an immigrant).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    Castration, branding, life imprisonment with hard labour (or repatriation and aid cancellation to his home country if he's an immigrant).
    agree with the castration, but not the highlighted view...not everyone is like that nutcase, so not everyone deserves to suffer as he should,

pk

ReputationRep:
    There must be revenge, it is the law which decides what is apt in the situation. Personally if thats what the law wants i'd support it.
    Why the double standards? Support the law when it suits you, bring in irrelevance about morality when it doesn't?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Why the double standards? Support the law when it suits you, bring in irrelevance about morality when it doesn't?
    that is the beauty of the human mind...

ReputationRep:
    ...not everyone is like that nutcase, so not everyone deserves to suffer as he should,
    So we should be mutilating people with mental difficulties?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.