Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bowie88)
    seriously, we were allowed to work on for at least ten minutes, and it was always the people who didnt need it, ie. i was just writing extra crap i didnt need in order to make sure i got the best possible mark.
    Im sure that isnt allowed. I mean we were allowed to finish a sentence but 10 extra mins? :rolleyes: a big difference if the paper is only an hour/90 mins.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh we were allowed to finish our snetances but nothing like 10 extra minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    Im sure that isnt allowed. I mean we were allowed to finish a sentence but 10 extra mins? :rolleyes: a big difference if the paper is only an hour/90 mins.
    what board are you? I thought it was illegal too but our head of year insisted we stay over.

ReputationRep:
    I did mainly Edexcel and AQA boards for my exams.

ReputationRep:
    what board are you? I thought it was illegal too but our head of year insisted we stay over.
    I had a range from OCR, AQA, EDEXCEL, CCEA and we had to stick within time limit for all...

ReputationRep:
    That's not allowed. Some people do get extra time, but the schools have to apply to the exam board for them. I got 25% extra time because of my eye sight [that's why not finishing papers on my part is reallt inexcusable], but unless its been applied for don't think you're allowed to technically have it. I'm with AQA for myexams. I just hope that there's no eaminers that visit this forum

ReputationRep:
    That's not allowed. Some people do get extra time, but the schools have to apply to the exam board for them. I got 25% extra time because of my eye sight [that's why not finishing papers on my part is reallt inexcusable], but unless its been applied for don't think you're allowed to technically have it. I'm with AQA for myexams. I just hope that there's no eaminers that visit this forum
    Yeh that could be disatourous for bowie if they did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauncouldstone)
    Exactly what i though, special case have ot be reported individually to the specific board. Unless Bowie you have not yet realised your school is for peopel with disabilities. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutchopper)
    Yeh that could be disatourous for bowie if they did
    that would be terrible, but they would never find out. They dont know my name or candiate number cause i havent told anyone on this it. I did ccea most of my exams which in my opinion is the hardest board for everything, honestly ive done all boards for practise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    Exactly what i though, special case have ot be reported individually to the specific board. Unless Bowie you have not yet realised your school is for peopel with disabilities. :rolleyes:
    What! My school is one of the top performing grammar schools in northern ireland, which a 98% pass rate, the extra time may have aided in that though!

ReputationRep:
    What! My school is one of the top performing grammar schools in northern ireland, which a 98% pass rate, the extra time may have aided in that though!
    Lol that probably is the reason!

ReputationRep:
    seriously in my exams, the people who stayed behind for extra time were the people most likely to get the top marks.

ReputationRep:
    did your schools not give you all extra time to finish. In all my exams i stayed behind finishing for at least five minutes. At most i stayed behind for over twenty minutes in my english language paper two, along with a couple of people. Was anyone noticed that its always the people most likely to fail that leave first and the people who are most likely to get the top marks are always out last? Am i the only who has noticed this?
    I'm quite annoyed about this I have to say. Having extra time (20 minutes?!) is just not fair. I consider it to be cheating, obviously Bowie88, it's not your fault; it's your school's fault. But I am actually pissed off about this. Getting 20 minutes extra time, could be the difference of like, two grades or something. No, not happy. It's illegal, and it's cheating isn't it? Why should other people be treated differently than others? I don't agree with that at all.

seriously in my exams, the people who stayed behind for extra time were the people most likely to get the top marks.
    I agree though, that the people who take the longest time are always those who do the best. Always the way.

Still very annoyed though - 10/20 minutes extra time, hell any extra time, is not on. No offence.

Neutron, get a life mate.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: i know i was joking. Just seems a little weird about the extra time..

ReputationRep:
    I agree though, that the people who take the longest time are always those who do the best. Always the way.

Still very annoyed though - 10/20 minutes extra time, hell any extra time, is not on. No offence.

All of that is so true!

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine has ADHD (a disorder whereby he can't concentrate easily). So the school appealed to the exam boards to give him extra time. If your most likely to get top marks you shouldn't need extra time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I'm quite annoyed about this I have to say. Having extra time (20 minutes?!) is just not fair. I consider it to be cheating, obviously Bowie88, it's not your fault; it's your school's fault. But I am actually pissed off about this. Getting 20 minutes extra time, could be the difference of like, two grades or something. No, not happy. It's illegal, and it's cheating isn't it? Why should other people be treated differently than others? I don't agree with that at all.

i can understand what you mean, but in some of the extra time we had, i had not fully finished and the extra time i got was in trying to finishing the paper and writing a load of crap! Anyway im sure the extra will have effect on my mark but then again in that time i was basically writing crap and repeating myself!

ReputationRep:

Meh, could be argued as the quality of what they've written can be questionnable, but i think you're probably right, i mean peopel who give up after 10 mins (chavs) wont get A*s now will they :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. Not fair.

ReputationRep:
    It is slightly unfair the fact that you should get extra time as afterall the exams are a certain length for a reason, however as it wasnt your fault you cant do anything about it.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.