Turn on thread page Beta

Athlete, Interpol, Oasis, Coldplay, Razorlight, The Magic Numbers and Kaiser Chiefs watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gexko)
    I assume you all love The Killers and probably Keane too.
    Keane - oh dear god no. Truly dire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    Keane - oh dear god no. Truly dire.
    my sentiment exactly. Killers too are quite camp and they are rip offs of the cure and other 70s/80s bands.

ReputationRep:
    Athlete-loved the early stuff (el salvidor, you got the style etc) but im not likin the 'lets dress like Ken Barlow and be boring' stage there in at the moment.
    Interpol- The first song I heard was P.D.A. and loved it, but since them ive not like any songs apart from maybe 'evil'. And the comparisons to Joy Division is scralidge!
    Oasis- The best band ive seen live (july 2nd 2005) more great albums (definatly maybe/ masterplan/be here now/ morning glory), and more great songs(supersonic/columbia/all around the world/hindu times/champagne supernova/gas panic/acquiese etc) than any band out at the moment or in the past ten years. Brilliant.
    Coldplay-Probably the best british band at the moment, 'A Rush of blood to the head' is one of the best albums of the past 10 years. Great band.
    Razorlight- Most overrated band(except babyshambles). Johnny borrel is a poor mans Bob Geldolf in the Boomtown rats era. Bunch of poncy, lightweight, screaming muppets with daft haircuts.
    The Magic Numbers- Not worth mentioning cause they will be forgotten in a few months.
    Kaiser Chiefs- I loved 'I predict a riot', but then they became a fashion accessory so i back off them abit, but are a good band.

ReputationRep:
    Imo, Interpol are the only good band in this list. TOTBL is a *great* album and Antics is also v. good

The rest are all a bit ... meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiesha)
    Imo, Interpol are the only good band in this list. TOTBL is a *great* album and Antics is also v. good

The rest are all a bit ... meh.
    exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Athlete, - I love them at the minute, think they're great. I agree with many of you in the fact that I do prefer their first album but I still think Tourist has got some excellent songs on it- only thing is its a bit more 'samey' than their first one.

Interpol, - Don't know loads about them but saw them supporting Coldplay and was very unimpressed, found them quite dull and the singers voice irritated me.

Oasis, - All I'll say is I sold my tickets for this weekend when I realised I couldn't even be bothered to buy their new album, as I really don't like 'lyla.' They are a band who are on the verge of fading away now I think, they've had their day. (Can back this up with the prices that I saw some of their tickets going for...)

Coldplay - I love them- to be fair, it's simply the sort of music that I like. My favourite album of theirs is Parachutes but X&Y is quickly beginning to catch it up. Just a collection of some brilliant songs. Saw them both at Glasto and Crystal Palace and they blew me away.

Razorlight - Can't like them- I wanted to because Golden Touch was a great song but the album was a great letdown- his voice grates and they seem very repetitive.

magic numbers - Don't know enough to comment, must borrow my boyfs copy.

kaiser chiefs - Like them, don't love them but think they are a nice bit of fun...shame I had to miss them at Glasto as thet were supposed to have been excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Wow...the title of this thread reads like the frontpage of an edition of NME.

You can decide whether thats a good thing or not .
    Says he with a quote from Pete Doherty in his sig- he's their darling!

To be fair, this is a thread about popular bands at the minute therefore, they will be featuring in the music press regularly.

Whoever said sarcastically about the Killers and Keane, I just don't understand people's problem with this- people seem to think it's 'cool' to dislike certain bands because of their popularity which in my eyes is ridiculous. Personally, if I like it then I don't care whether they're massive or tiny, I like them. And as it happens, I like several of the bands mentioned on here.

ReputationRep:
    They all suck mainstream ****** music ****. Any nerdcore artist > all of teh ghey bands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredwad)
    They all suck mainstream ****** music ****. Any nerdcore artist > all of teh ghey bands
    I just don't think 'mainstream' is an offensive word, why does music have to be unpopular for you to like it?

ReputationRep:
    Athlete, - Not that impressed not a fan really though i'd go and see them live if i got the chance
    Interpol, - Love them the singer has such a brilliant voice, very very pissed off i got kept in overnight isolation and missed them and coldplay :eek:
    Oasis, - Love them, best band ever.
    Coldplay - Again gutted i didn't see them i like the 3 albums even if i was hoping for them to break into some new territory musically they're very good at what they do
    Razorlight - Really like them they were great live and though jonny borell can be a bit of an idiot i was impressed by his attitude when i went to see them
    magic numbers - very nice from what i've heard
    kaiser chiefs - i like their songs though they are a tad same-ish they are great fun live and i'd love to see them live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkPigeon)

To be fair, this is a thread about popular bands at the minute therefore, they will be featuring in the music press regularly.

Whoever said sarcastically about the Killers and Keane, I just don't understand people's problem with this- people seem to think it's 'cool' to dislike certain bands because of their popularity which in my eyes is ridiculous. Personally, if I like it then I don't care whether they're massive or tiny, I like them. And as it happens, I like several of the bands mentioned on here.
    Agreed stop being musical snobs and only appreciating a band when they haven't been famous then once they're big turning round and saying i liked them when they were small but not they're soooooooooooooo commercial

ReputationRep:
    I agree about musical snobs, dissing bands for the sake of it. But sometimes, they do actually change. Take Damien Rice for example, I've been a huge fan of his for about 3 and a half years now, I've got 80 tracks of his on my iPod, I love him. But now his record company have remixed all his acoustic-melodic stuff, put horrible Casio keyboard beats into it, and messed it all up. For example, the released version of "Cannonball" is really crap in my opinion, it's got horrible synthy beats in the background. Like I say I've 80 tracks of his, and around 60 are live bootleg tracks; just Damo and his guitar. I don't like the way his stuff is being messed with. Take his new single with Lisa Hannigan (ordinarily part of his band anyway), "Unplayed Piano" - it's much more upbeat and poppy than Damien usually is, and that's because it's been produced to sell records, it's not up to his usual standard of work (although proceeds of that record are going to Burma).

Turin Brakes as well. I absolutely loved The Optomist LP, and would say, hand on heart, that TB were my favourite band, EVER! It was quite dark, but it was really orginal and I loved every song on The Optomist. Then came, Ether Song, which was much more light and airy, and songs such as "5 Mile" and "Painkiller" were more poppy, but it was still TB with their groovin guitars. Now "Jackinabox" has been released, and I'm on the verge of tears. All the magazines and media are going wild for it, "it's much better than previous albums, adopts a more poppy tone". It's poo! "Fishing For A Dream" is crap! Although there are a couple of tracks, it's like where have they gone?

I do love The Killers though. I think they do what they do, really well. And I love Flowers, he's got a great voice, and they're just good.

Keane annoy me, I don't like them as much as everybody else, but they've got a few good songs, and are decent enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I agree about musical snobs, dissing bands for the sake of it. But sometimes, they do actually change. Take Damien Rice for example, I've been a huge fan of his for about 3 and a half years now, I've got 80 tracks of his on my iPod, I love him. But now his record company have remixed all his acoustic-melodic stuff, put horrible Casio keyboard beats into it, and messed it all up. For example, the released version of "Cannonball" is really crap in my opinion, it's got horrible synthy beats in the background. Like I say I've 80 tracks of his, and around 60 are live bootleg tracks; just Damo and his guitar. I don't like the way his stuff is being messed with. Take his new single with Lisa Hannigan (ordinarily part of his band anyway), "Unplayed Piano" - it's much more upbeat and poppy than Damien usually is, and that's because it's been produced to sell records, it's not up to his usual standard of work (although proceeds of that record are going to Burma).

Turin Brakes as well. I absolutely loved The Optomist LP, and would say, hand on heart, that TB were my favourite band, EVER! It was quite dark, but it was really orginal and I loved every song on The Optomist. Then came, Ether Song, which was much more light and airy, and songs such as "5 Mile" and "Painkiller" were more poppy, but it was still TB with their groovin guitars. Now "Jackinabox" has been released, and I'm on the verge of tears. All the magazines and media are going wild for it, "it's much better than previous albums, adopts a more poppy tone". It's poo! "Fishing For A Dream" is crap! Although there are a couple of tracks, it's like where have they gone?

I do love The Killers though. I think they do what they do, really well. And I love Flowers, he's got a great voice, and they're just good.

Keane annoy me, I don't like them as much as everybody else, but they've got a few good songs, and are decent enough.
    what do you think about interpol?

ReputationRep:
    Only listen to Coldplay out of the above...cannot get enough of the new album!

ReputationRep:

Oh no...NME isn't always supporting crap bands, but it does support a lot of mediocrity. Menswear, anyone?

And voting Pete Doherty as top of the "cool list" was just wrong - not because Pete isn't cool, but because the whole concept of a "cool list" is indicative of how NME is in music for all the wrong reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed by how quickly this thread is filling, much better than my pathetic attempts on the Bristol Uni forum.

Neway, where was I?

If Miss Keisha wants me to through the Strokes into the mix I could say they are also one of my favourites, but as I havent just bought their album they're not on here.

Musical snobs suck. How can you not like the Killers and still be sane?

What does popularity and reputation have to do with the way the music sounds and affects you?

ReputationRep:
    In total agreement with the last two posts.....I hate the NME *even more* than I hate Oasis. And that's a lot. However, I hate U2 more.

ReputationRep:
    Athlete:: Urgh, the song "Wires" was brilliance but overplayed too much on XFM, I hate it now! Grr, but I think they are an okay band now. (if a tad boring)

Interpol:: I like them. Antics is a good album, but it's kind of wearing off me now. Their recent singles, "Evil" and "Slow hands" were good.

Oasis:: Hmm..I find their older stuff better. Sorry but I hate the single Lyla. But I heard they are brilliant live so I won't say much more.

Coldplay:: :love: They are amazing both live and on disc.

Razorlight:: Yeah, I've gotten a bit bored of them. The hype was all well and good and I loved them for a while, but it's gotten a bit dry now. Their album doesn't strike me as it did when I first listened to it.

The Magic Numbers:: I've heard them on XFM and their stuff is good. Again they were overplayed. :mad: So, I'm not that big on them anymore.

Kaiser Chiefs:: Hehe, I can't take this band seriously. On TV they look wicked live with the lead singer jumping and sprawling everywhere, lol. But they have become a little mainstream now.. *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Oh no...NME isn't always supporting crap bands, but it does support a lot of mediocrity. Menswear, anyone?
    Yay for Menswear! And Marion! And Lush! Although there were a lot of great ones from that era, Sleeper, Echobelly, Elastica, all that gubbins.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand people's problem with this- people seem to think it's 'cool' to dislike certain bands because of their popularity which in my eyes is ridiculous.
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    Agreed stop being musical snobs and only appreciating a band when they haven't been famous then once they're big turning round and saying i liked them when they were small but not they're soooooooooooooo commercial
    Very true.

(Original post by deenirdee)
    Kaiser Chiefs:: But they have become a little mainstream now.. *sigh*
    And...? Some people never learn...

Also- Don't agree with all this Razorlight bashing that's going on- although he's a bit of a ponce and 'Johnny Borrell featuring Razorlight' would be a more adequate name, I rather like 'em. Disliking Razorlight seems to be the 'in' thing to do.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.