Chemistry AS Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jag Singh
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
How much of a jump is it from gcse science double award (chem), to AS chem? :confused:
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I got A*A* at GCSE Science and found the jump up quite big. I've heard that it's less of a jump though if you do GCSE Chemistry rather than GCSE Science...either way, there's a fair bit of work involved and there's a bit more maths than there was at GCSE
mizfissy815
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't know about GCSE chemistry as I've taken IGCSE chemistry but I'm guessing it's pretty much the same....
Anyway from what I noticed, the jump is not that big...actually around 70% of AS Chem (Edexcel anyway) is based on IGCSE(CIE) chemistry....BUT the examiners expect you to be very specific...so you have to answer alot of papers....
I suggest you look at the Chemistry syllabus of whatever board you've chosen and judge for yourself
glitterxsparkle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought it was a really big jump! I often found my teacher saying well we told you this at GCSE but actually this isn't the truth. I'm so glad i never have to do chemistry again wahoooo
happysoul
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by carla18)
I thought it was a really big jump! I often found my teacher saying well we told you this at GCSE but actually this isn't the truth. I'm so glad i never have to do chemistry again wahoooo
Same, first lesson of AS chemistry and the teachers said forget everything we've taught you, its all a lie. I found it a big jump between GCSE and AS!
Scipio
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ditto. GCSE chemistry teaches some simplified and fasle things.

Jump from GCSE to AS is significant. I know some who got A* at GCSE and went down to a C at AS. It really depends how well you think you can grasp Chemistry. I'm average at Maths (would probably get a B/C if I did AS maths), and I found Chemistry at GCSE tougher than both Biology and Physics (AQA double award). However at AS level I've excelled it and found it fairly easy (I'm 99% certain i'll get an A).

It really depends on your strengths, if you're not good at maths that certainly does not mean you'll be bad at Chemistry. Yes it involves more maths at AS+ but nothing too difficult (rearranging equations and changing units).
db
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
All the Sciences are a big jump from GCSE to AS, because as ppl have already said GCSE Science is so simplified a lot of it isn't really true. I got an A in GCSE Chemistry and just got an A at AS with a brilliant teacher and then dropped it. It's really tough and apparently gets an equally big jump between AS and A2 (for CCEA anyways)
glitterxsparkle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by devilbunny)
All the Sciences are a big jump from GCSE to AS, because as ppl have already said GCSE Science is so simplified a lot of it isn't really true. I got an A in GCSE Chemistry and just got an A at AS with a brilliant teacher and then dropped it. It's really tough and apparently gets an equally big jump between AS and A2 (for CCEA anyways)
I didnt really find it a big jump from AS to A2 probably because i thought As was hard I just expected A2 to be. I thought A2 was similar to AS just more detailed. I did AQA chemistry.
Scipio
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didnt really find it a big jump from AS to A2 probably because i thought As was hard I just expected A2 to be. I thought A2 was similar to AS just more detailed. I did AQA chemistry.
Good to know
db
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I can't personally comment, it might just have been that all the chemists thought they were being martyrs carrying on with such a tough subject. Plus my school makes you do Mod 4 in Jan and they hadnt finished the module by that point so everyone had to resit. I reckon if they didn't have to do that they would have found it more manageable
iceberg_1
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jag Singh)
How much of a jump is it from gcse science double award (chem), to AS chem? :confused:
I did edexcel double award science and got AA, I didn't find the jump to be very hard at all (just givin my opinion not gloating) i found the lessons quite boring as the work was very simple, although as some have said they is quite a bit of maths in the first and second module (AQA) which might be a problem if you dont do maths, but yeah in general i found it easy, but in the exam i only got 1 mark above an A, because as some has said you need to be very specific, you can't just waffle and hope to pick up marks, they are given(from looking at mark schemes) for use of key words which you have to use even though what you have written is right you get no marks.
Vijay1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jag Singh)
Technically to describe it in Chemistry language, its from moving from an exothermic state to an endothermic state.

Yes, thats means more working energy will be required in AS Chem. :rolleyes:
Scipio
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
There are few questions which you can get wrong if you know the material. Just learn the defintions (which I foolishly didn't because none were on past papers...but guess what the first question on the June paper was?...).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads