Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How much of a jump is it from gcse science double award (chem), to AS chem? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I got A*A* at GCSE Science and found the jump up quite big. I've heard that it's less of a jump though if you do GCSE Chemistry rather than GCSE Science...either way, there's a fair bit of work involved and there's a bit more maths than there was at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about GCSE chemistry as I've taken IGCSE chemistry but I'm guessing it's pretty much the same....
    Anyway from what I noticed, the jump is not that big...actually around 70% of AS Chem (Edexcel anyway) is based on IGCSE(CIE) chemistry....BUT the examiners expect you to be very specific...so you have to answer alot of papers....
    I suggest you look at the Chemistry syllabus of whatever board you've chosen and judge for yourself

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a really big jump! I often found my teacher saying well we told you this at GCSE but actually this isn't the truth. I'm so glad i never have to do chemistry again wahoooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carla18)
    I thought it was a really big jump! I often found my teacher saying well we told you this at GCSE but actually this isn't the truth. I'm so glad i never have to do chemistry again wahoooo
    Same, first lesson of AS chemistry and the teachers said forget everything we've taught you, its all a lie. I found it a big jump between GCSE and AS!

ReputationRep:
    Ditto. GCSE chemistry teaches some simplified and fasle things.

Jump from GCSE to AS is significant. I know some who got A* at GCSE and went down to a C at AS. It really depends how well you think you can grasp Chemistry. I'm average at Maths (would probably get a B/C if I did AS maths), and I found Chemistry at GCSE tougher than both Biology and Physics (AQA double award). However at AS level I've excelled it and found it fairly easy (I'm 99% certain i'll get an A).

It really depends on your strengths, if you're not good at maths that certainly does not mean you'll be bad at Chemistry. Yes it involves more maths at AS+ but nothing too difficult (rearranging equations and changing units).

ReputationRep:
    All the Sciences are a big jump from GCSE to AS, because as ppl have already said GCSE Science is so simplified a lot of it isn't really true. I got an A in GCSE Chemistry and just got an A at AS with a brilliant teacher and then dropped it. It's really tough and apparently gets an equally big jump between AS and A2 (for CCEA anyways)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilbunny)
    All the Sciences are a big jump from GCSE to AS, because as ppl have already said GCSE Science is so simplified a lot of it isn't really true. I got an A in GCSE Chemistry and just got an A at AS with a brilliant teacher and then dropped it. It's really tough and apparently gets an equally big jump between AS and A2 (for CCEA anyways)
    I didnt really find it a big jump from AS to A2 probably because i thought As was hard I just expected A2 to be. I thought A2 was similar to AS just more detailed. I did AQA chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt really find it a big jump from AS to A2 probably because i thought As was hard I just expected A2 to be. I thought A2 was similar to AS just more detailed. I did AQA chemistry.
    Good to know

ReputationRep:
    I can't personally comment, it might just have been that all the chemists thought they were being martyrs carrying on with such a tough subject. Plus my school makes you do Mod 4 in Jan and they hadnt finished the module by that point so everyone had to resit. I reckon if they didn't have to do that they would have found it more manageable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jag Singh)
    How much of a jump is it from gcse science double award (chem), to AS chem? :confused:
    I did edexcel double award science and got AA, I didn't find the jump to be very hard at all (just givin my opinion not gloating) i found the lessons quite boring as the work was very simple, although as some have said they is quite a bit of maths in the first and second module (AQA) which might be a problem if you dont do maths, but yeah in general i found it easy, but in the exam i only got 1 mark above an A, because as some has said you need to be very specific, you can't just waffle and hope to pick up marks, they are given(from looking at mark schemes) for use of key words which you have to use even though what you have written is right you get no marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jag Singh)
    Technically to describe it in Chemistry language, its from moving from an exothermic state to an endothermic state.

Yes, thats means more working energy will be required in AS Chem. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There are few questions which you can get wrong if you know the material. Just learn the defintions (which I foolishly didn't because none were on past papers...but guess what the first question on the June paper was?...).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.