The Student Room Group

imperial or southampton firm choice engineering?

which one do you think is better?people that you study there...how is it?In terms of better teaching staff,more prospects of getting a VERY good job when graduating...better labs and facilities...and equipment...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whichever you choose , you won't go wrong. Soton and Imperial are very reputable universities regarding Engineering , hence you just have to decide on where you want to live.
If I were you I would pick Imperial over Soton , but you should take into account the expensiveness of London and the male to female ration at Imperial. :smile:
Reply 2
fredbraty
which one do you think is better?people that you study there...how is it?In terms of better teaching staff,more prospects of getting a VERY good job when graduating...better labs and facilities...and equipment...

imperial..top 5 in the world dude....

EDIT: and london's the ****....Soton's a ****-hole compared
Reply 3
Both are top notch for engineering, but Imperial has (much) the better brand name. You might as well go with that.
Reply 4
Yehia
Mate take Imperial! Sure Southampton is also good, but Imperial's academic achievment is much higher... 3rd top in the uk dude! Plus its in London, this is a no-brainer, take Imperial! :smile: goodluck cheers

southampton is 2nd in the uk...but i dont really care about the rankings...i care about having GREAT teachers and equipment available but also GREAT carreer prospects...they are both members of the power academy....
Reply 5
Career prospects within the UK would probably be similar, as Southampton is highly respected , particularly for EEE.

However, I think when it comes to the international opportunity, Imperial is probably better.
Reply 6
what type of engineering is it for?
Reply 7
Ram92
what type of engineering is it for?

He is doing EEE - had the interview at the same time as me for Imperial :wink:
Reply 8
cyborg

Thank you,

Southampton is very good for EEE. Many people will say go to Imperial it is everything for Engineering but I disagree. You can get very good jobs at Southampton Uni if you get a good degree.
I prefer Southampton over Imperial for my course (Aero) because I like the content of the course at Southampton more.

Also Southampton Uni is very nice and very homely. When I visited it I loved it and they can offer so much.
London is London, it either attracts you or it doesnt (It doesnt attract me).

Whatever you choose remember that either uni will get you top jobs so look at which uni you would enjoy more.

That is my advice

Good luck ... I may see you in Southampton :P lol
Reply 9
I liked imperial alot when I went.
Th facilities were great, location amazing and the course (Mech Eng) seemed really great.
I peraonlly have never been to Southamptom but if you're looking for great teaching, career prospects and facilities then Imperial's where it's at :biggrin:
Good luck deciding!
Reply 10
cyborg

its SHE actually :cool:
Reply 11
Smeh
Th facilities were great, location amazing and the course (Mech Eng) seemed really great.
I peraonlly have never been to Southamptom but if you're looking for great teaching, career prospects and facilities then Imperial's where it's at :biggrin:
Good luck deciding!

thanks! :smile:
Reply 12
Ram92
Thank you,

Southampton is very good for EEE. Many people will say go to Imperial it is everything for Engineering but I disagree. You can get very good jobs at Southampton Uni if you get a good degree.
I prefer Southampton over Imperial for my course (Aero) because I like the content of the course at Southampton more.

Also Southampton Uni is very nice and very homely. When I visited it I loved it and they can offer so much.
London is London, it either attracts you or it doesnt (It doesnt attract me).

Whatever you choose remember that either uni will get you top jobs so look at which uni you would enjoy more.

That is my advice

Good luck ... I may see you in Southampton :P lol

haha...maybe :smile:...
i dont like the city very much and i have never visited southampton before...is it a big city like london?does it have nice big parks?
well,what i am most concerned about is getting a GREAT job(in the uk or any other country) after graduating...what do you mean that i could get a job at southampton university after getting a degree?what kind of job?
Reply 13
Smeh
Good luck deciding!

hey smeh have you decided about your insurance?<since i imagine imperial will be your firm> :smile:
Reply 14
fredbraty
its SHE actually :cool:

Sorry :o:
Reply 15
fredbraty
hey smeh have you decided about your insurance?<since i imagine imperial will be your firm> :smile:

At this moment i'm leaning towards UCL.
I really like it when I visited and it's not too far away...On the other hand Manchester was just as great.
But 3 hours on the train is effort!
So I'm thinking UCL.
Oxford rejection came through on Track so i'm probably gonna do the firm insurance thing tonight/tomorrow.
Eeek can't believe i'm all done before christmas!
Reply 16
Smeh
At this moment i'm leaning towards UCL.
I really like it when I visited and it's not too far away...On the other hand Manchester was just as great.
But 3 hours on the train is effort!
So I'm thinking UCL.
Oxford rejection came through on Track so i'm probably gonna do the firm insurance thing tonight/tomorrow.
Eeek can't believe i'm all done before christmas!

really?you visited manchester?how was it compared to imperial?
Reply 17
fredbraty
really?you visited manchester?how was it compared to imperial?

Not even close.
I mean Manchester was great! I thought the facilities were good and the accomadation was really nice. Much cheaper than Imperial.
But I loved Imperial. For me it was amazing.
But I have a friend who thought has offers from both and if he doesn't get into Cambridge then Manchester is his firm so...
It's just a personal choice.
Reply 18
Smeh
Not even close.
I mean Manchester was great! I thought the facilities were good and the accomadation was really nice. Much cheaper than Imperial.
But I loved Imperial. For me it was amazing.
But I have a friend who thought has offers from both and if he doesn't get into Cambridge then Manchester is his firm so...
It's just a personal choice.

you mean that he has offers from imperial and manchester and will choose manchester as firm?
Reply 19
fredbraty
you mean that he has offers from imperial and manchester and will choose manchester as firm?

Yup.
He doesn't like London.
At all.
Whereas I :love: London.

Quick Reply