Turn on thread page Beta

Medal of Honor: European Assault advert watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    Firstly, I think you're underestimating the intelligence of the average person, and it isn't seriously suggesting it's equivalent to an actual war in the same way that an advert for FIFA doesn't suggest that playing it is exactly equivalent to playing in a World Cup final. It's a game.
    I haven't actually said that 'the average person' WILL think they're actually a part of the war, but it IS what the advert is attempting to imply, successfully or not. That attempted inference cannot be denied.

ReputationRep:
    dont the medal of honour games get the support and input of the MOH society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    I haven't actually said that 'the average person' WILL think they're actually a part of the war, but it IS what the advert is attempting to imply, successfully or not. That attempted inference cannot be denied.
    No, because the inference being made and what the viewer will think are linked, and the makers know that and the advert will be designed around it.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I feel the advert is extremely cheesy, I don't find it offensive in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    strictily speaking most soldier didnt die martyrs as it wasn't defence of their religion. some of course mybe were fighting for waht they considered an afront to christianity. after all the nazis oppressed certain christian groups too.
    We can go further, we can extend the definition beyond religion to other noble causes.

A martyr is one who fails entirely and is destroyed completely, but history recognizes the moral superiority of his cause and regrets his failure.

What was the noble cause of WW2 for soldiers of any country? They were all dupes in the hands of dictators and imperialists surely?

edit: came across this link, a few days too late, but it's quite impressive.

"Have you ever wondered what happened to the fifty-six men who signed the Declaration of Independence? This is the price they paid:

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died. Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons in the revolutionary army, another had two sons captured. Nine of the fifty-six fought and died from wounds or hardships resulting from the Revolutionary War.

These men signed, and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor..."

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.