Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    I definately agree with Davis on policy and belief. He probably isn't our Tony Blair. This may be a disadvantage electorally, but I would prefer to see politics move away from publicity over policy and principle anyway. Potential leaders like Duncan and Cameron would probably move the party closer to the centre, abandoning core principles like Blair did with New Labour. We might gain electorally but it would be wrong. Besides, I honesty believe we can gain power on the merits of our policies and principles.
    If you see some of Cameron quoted, it looks identical to classic Blair material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    I dont watch Big Brother and dont intend to, but let me guess, completely out of touch with the electorate?
    Derek from Big Brother used to write speeches for Margaret Thatcher... I think?

ReputationRep:
    hehe:

The Conservative MP Gerald Howarth is said to have told a 'tasteless' joke about Derek.

Howarth is reported to have told a dinner party: "I have a lovely story about hunting. One of my friends is Derek Laud, who some of you will know. Derek is as black as the ace of spades.

"Derek is the first black master of foxhounds in the New Forest. One day he was out hunting. He actually looked splendid in his hunting pinks. And these antis were there, and they shouted, 'What are you doing hunting with these people?'

"So Derek gave this great smile, and says: 'Well I am enjoying a good day's hunting, old boy'." Howarth said the reply came: "Well a hundred years ago, they would have been hunting your ancestors."

"So Derek looks down imperiously from his mount, and says to them, 'A hundred years ago, my ancestors would have been eating you'."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    And yet as Shadow Home Secretary, Blair cant trust Clarke to do his own job.

I dont watch Big Brother and dont intend to, but let me guess, completely out of touch with the electorate?

That is because Clarke is a complete plonker who couldn't be arranged to arrange a bun fight in a bakery. Even against this - Davis was less than impressive in televised debates against him during the election (particularly the Newsnight debate). At times on immigration he was particularly spectacularly unimpressive. He is a poor orator almost in the same league as IDS. He does not have the necessary attributes for a successful leader.

On the latter point, perhaps you should have some knowledge of a subject before you try to make a comment - otherwise you come across looking as ignorant as Charles Clarke. Derek was indeed a speech writer to Margaret Thatcher and also has the potential to dispel many of the myths of the Conservative party.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.