The Student Room Group
Reply 1
My friend did a double AVCE in Art and had trouble when coming to apply to uni, he found that many top unis simply didn't accept it, so i would research this thoroughly before deciding to do the course. The benefit (or perhaps not?) of AVCE is that it's all courseowrk based, whereas the A level has exams. xx
Reply 2
A-levels only cos they are more reputable....and are regarded by employers as being taken by smart people....there is a general peception that people of lesser intelligence, i.e. those that cant handle A-levels, take AVCE's...though i dont agree whether its correct, its reality

pk
Reply 3
Hi, I do an AVCE not in Art but in ICT and i will be applying this Sept for 2006 entry to Uni. I have researched quite a lot and all the universities i want to apply to will accept my AVCE with an A2 or 2 AS grades. I will be applying to Northumbria, Man Met, Leeds Met, Edge Hill, etc.
Reply 4
Normal A level.

Why take a risk?
Reply 5
A Level - without risk and more reputable. Plus, Art is already heavy on coursework and an equivalent of two a levels based entirely on courswork's going to be LOADS of work!
Reply 6
SketchyCanvas
Basicly, my sixth form offers AVCE Art as well as the normal a level. And im still wondering which is better, AVCE or A Level?? My mates say that most universities such as Oxford, do not accept AVCE Art as its a vocational course. Is this true? And are there any good unis out there that accept AVCE ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

It's up to you really. Some top universities accept AVCEs, single and/or double (e.g. Manchester accepts them for their computing courses). I would just check the entry requirements for the courses you want to study at university. http://www.ucas.com/search/index06.html

By the way, if you are taking it this year and onwards, it's called 'Applied Art' now instead of AVCE, as they are bringing it in line with the other non-vocational A-levels.
Reply 7
I would do the A level, as some people have already said not all universities accept it, therefore i would do a lot of research and then i would probably end up taking the A level!
Go for the A-level, then you'll have a wider range of universities to choose from, plus it won't be as much work and art seems to have a heavy enough workload as it is!

Latest