Turn on thread page Beta

Need help - late ucas applicant having a panic! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there folks,

I am a recent graduate in Health Science with Health Promotion and would love to go back to uni to study Speech and Languge Therapy. I have left it quite late as i thought i would be better to go out there and get a job using my first degree. However that was easier said than done. Whilst i was away in Texas i did a lot of thinking and thought about how speech and language was the thing i always wanted to do but couldnt quite make the grades. Now i already have a degree i am thinking what the hell i may as well apply.

So the rush is on to get my ucas form in by Jan 15th, got my former tutor writing me a personal statement. What i am struggling with is my personal statement. There is loads of advice on the net, but its mainly for school leavers. I have written a draft and wondered if anyone would be so kind to look at it and offer comments, dont care how critical you want to be.

Also if anyone has any advice on my chances of being accepted or do you think they would prefer school leavers?

Thanks so much in advance

Hanna

ReputationRep:
    i think u mite somthing in the ucas website or the university website, ucas website is www.ucas.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    I have been on the ucas website, but i still feel its aimed more at school leavers (which of course thats who its for). Its not clear what older students should do, say.

I really want this more than anything.

Hanna

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh dont worry about it man
    Ive left mine late as well and am hoping to get it in today - or im stuffed

http://www.uk-learning.net/t19131.html

Thats the thread i started about my PS
    PM me yours if you dont mind me having a look and dont want to post it on the open forums. You will get much more help however if you do post it here for all to see!

Good luck with it :]

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Thanks for the reassurance.

Ok, dont laugh, its been 5 years since i did one of these and i do not have anyone to help me with it, apart from you guys!

I have always had a strong passion for studying Speech and Language Therapy since leaving school 5 years ago. Unfortunately, as I did not have the necessary grades to pursue this, I therefore undertook a general health science degree. After completion of my degree, I believe I now stand in good stead to apply my enthusiasm and motivation to studying Speech and Language Therapy at degree level. From my previous degree course I have learnt that I enjoy working with people of all ages, have very good communication and listening skills, and also have good problem solving abilities, essential for the role of a Speech and Language Therapist.
    I would like very much to be a part of a dynamic, rapidly developing profession which combines education, science and medicine in order to tackle communication disorders. In my current degree, I have had a flavour of behavioural sciences, looking into the development of humans from birth to death. I also have a particular interest in working with children from carrying out several voluntary roles and working alongside children. Both these factor have made me even more determined to study Speech and Language Therapy.
    My interests are wide and varied and I like to try new challenges every so often. I very much enjoy far away travel, and this year alone I have had the chance of holidaying in the Maldives and Houston, Texas. I enjoy reading Ian Rankin’s fiction novels probably die to the problem solving nature of them.
    I am a well rounded person with good initiative and I enjoy being able to give something back to the community, as can be shown by my voluntary roles within a Toy Library and assisting with a paired reading scheme whilst at secondary school. Although this voluntary work was not directly related to speech and language therapy, I gained useful practical experience in using core skills such as communication and working with other people as part of a team. This experience will help me both in my studies and in my future career.
    I consider myself a reliable and enthusiastic individual and a well organised, responsible person, very interested in children and able to communicate well with both children and adults. I have a good deal of patience, especially with children who are slower to learn and therefore believe I am well suited to the profession of speech and language therapist. I would like study speech and language therapy at your university as I have always been interested in this area of work, and taking a course in higher education would enable me to apply my skills and abilities and further develop my interest in this special area.

ReputationRep:
    You have a really good chance of being accepted. you have already proved you are capable of academic study with your degree, and you already have grades so you should get unconditional offers based on the results you already have.

Have you tried contacting institutions direct? Some might take you without going through UCAS, also the UCAS date is the deadline by which the unis are guaranteed to consider your app. You can actually apply up until next aug you just stand more chance of getting a better place by applying in time.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am only applying for one institution as i have my home set up now and i dont fancy living away from home. I am gonna apply to Queen Margaret University College in Edinburgh.
    I havent contacted the institution about not applying thurhg ucas, but i have been emailed and phoning with no avail, i even left a message on the answer machine. I will try again tomorrow though.

I am waiting to get another ucas form before i can send it off, as i made some stupid errors on mine. Also i have no idea about the centre numbers of me schools and uni, spose i have to find that out.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hd7481)
    Hi there,

I am only applying for one institution as i have my home set up now and i dont fancy living away from home. I am gonna apply to Queen Margaret University College in Edinburgh.
    I havent contacted the institution about not applying thurhg ucas, but i have been emailed and phoning with no avail, i even left a message on the answer machine. I will try again tomorrow though.

I am waiting to get another ucas form before i can send it off, as i made some stupid errors on mine. Also i have no idea about the centre numbers of me schools and uni, spose i have to find that out.
    Apply through normal routes if you can...even if they accept you unconditionally you will still have to go through UCAS to make it official (Full time undergraduates *have* to go through UCAS - it's part of the deal uni's have with ucas). If the course isn't particularly competetive then applying after the January deadline but before the clearing cut off should be ok - otherwise get your form in in some state or other before Jan 15th (you can always write to the uni with any further information/references etc etc *after* the deadline).

Don't panic - you have relevent experience, a relevent degree and a decent personal statement - unless they ask for something very specific from mature students (and most uni's don't ask for anything other than you can prove that you're intereested and able to study) then I can't see them turning you down.

You might be able to find the centre number for your school on the exam boards website? Your uni wont have a centre number (although you could use the UCAS uni number?).

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Got my form in, just sitting back and waiting. Oh and trying to find a job.
    Deep joy.

Hanna

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.