Turn on thread page Beta

When The admissions tutors get your results in aug... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Does anybody know?

In what form UCAS informs your universities about your results?

- Your uni gets your UMS points for each a-level (i.e. XXX/600)

or

- Your Grades for each A-level (i.e A,B,C and so on...)

Can they see how well you have done on individual modules?

ReputationRep:
    I think they just get grades, PQ would know, i'm sure she'll answer sometime. Or Trev. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    I think they just get grades, PQ would know, i'm sure she'll answer sometime. Or Trev. xx

Thanks Lets hope they see this thread :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    Yes, it's just the grades. By the way if you are wondering when the universitites get the results, they get it a week before results day.

It will be bad if they gie out UMS though.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they got overall UMS so anyone who gets a high B when they need an A for instance has a chance of saying look i only missed it by a tidgy bit.

EDIT: im no expert so not going against anyone else, just got told that by a teacher i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SexyKe)
    I thought they got overall UMS so anyone who gets a high B when they need an A for instance has a chance of saying look i only missed it by a tidgy bit.

EDIT: im no expert so not going against anyone else, just got told that by a teacher i think.
    I hope it's not UMS though. The head of sixth form said that they give grades to the uni's for AS and A2/A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    No we don't. I really wish you would stop stating "facts" like this when they're simply incorrect trev. If you don't know the answer don't answer....and certainly don't volunteer "facts" like this that noone has asked for.

We get it overnight on the saturday/sunday before results day, which means we get 3 working days to do 90% of decisions...4 days if people are able to come into work on a sunday.

And yes it is grades at the moment. UCAS, the exam boards, schools and universities are currently in negotiation about recieving UMS marks (which should make life much easier for people who've only missed their grades by a few UMS marks....however it opens up a whole barrel of potential problems if certain universities decide to start making offers based on UMS marks and not grade/UCAS tariff points.
    UCAS and the teachers said that they get it before the week of results day. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Well they were simplifying for you.

UCAS recieve them from the exam boards a week before results day - it takes them 3 days of processing to match the results to applicant IDs and prepare the data for electronic transmission.

Universities will recieve the results on the night of the 13th/14th August this year.

We've always recieved them on the sunday and as far as I'm aware there are no plans to change this (unless we move to a post ersults application system).
    I guess I was right in some way, as the teachers gave me a simplified answer for me.

For example, students put key skills qualifications on their application form, but the uni does not include it in the offer. Would the key skills also be sent to the uni's regardless if it is in the offer or not?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's to some extent a shame that UMS marks aren't given to universities. While they can't be used to differentiate between applicants who have 580 and 590 ums points there is usually a clear difference between someone who has 480 and someone who was 580, yet both receive the same grade.

(Original post by PQ)
    All examinations included in the ABL (awarding body linkage - the connection between UCAS and the exam boards) scheme are transferred - which is why it can cause problems if you take exams which aren't on your UCAS form or drop exams with ARE on your UCAS form without notifying UCAS/universities.
    Sorry to trouble you with questions, are AEA results automatically transferred? It's on my UCAS form but it's not classed as an A-Level so I thought i'd make sure.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Good, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I think it's to some extent a shame that UMS marks aren't given to universities. While they can't be used to differentiate between applicants who have 580 and 590 ums points there is usually a clear difference between someone who has 480 and someone who was 580, yet both receive the same grade.

Sorry to trouble you with questions, are AEA results automatically transferred? It's on my UCAS form but it's not classed as an A-Level so I thought i'd make sure.
    Thanks.
    Thats true for the people getting near 100%.
    But for the typical applicant it may have negative consequences.
    For example, if they need a BBB, and they receive two low Bs (~420), and a mid C, this will probably change the universities mind over whether they should still accept them, since they pretty much got 3 Cs.
    Where as now, the university will see the two Bs, and the candidate can do the whole "oh, I dont know what happened to make me get a C...", and they will probably accept.

ReputationRep:
    But surely on the whole it will help as many people as it harms and it will seem like a fairer system.
    People talk about adding another grade (and that will harm people) but surely it would be far simpler and more effective to just make marks available.
    I'm not sure really, it's just a thought to consider

ReputationRep:
    I actually think its a good idea. Im just playing devils advocate..

ReputationRep:
    Heh no worries, someone has to add balance to my ramblings.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest (I got my results a year ago), if a student studies a BTEC National Diploma rather than A Levels, do the admissions tutors receive the overall grade (e.g. DDD) or individual module marks plus the overall grade?

ReputationRep:
    Why can't they just get both grades and UMS scores?! :confused: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    But surely on the whole it will help as many people as it harms and it will seem like a fairer system.
    People talk about adding another grade (and that will harm people) but surely it would be far simpler and more effective to just make marks available.
    I'm not sure really, it's just a thought to consider
    Yeah i agree as im sure in 2 of my subjects im only going to miss an A grade by a few UMS, which may help my case if unis could see this, although if you tell them/send them your results slip they could still consider this. Also if they were legally made to make offers grade wise (and not in terms of UMS but could view them) it would be fairer.

Also does anyone know if you've done an as-level this yr and its not included in your offer, will the uni still get the grade for it?

ReputationRep:
    On behalf of my friend, he repeated one GCSE. His offer includes a GCSE. Would the GCSE result be sent to the uni's a week before the results day or after results day?

ReputationRep:
    ahhh! Well I did an Advanced Extension Award that I wasn't aware I was put in for until April so that wasn't on my UCAS form, but I didn't think the unis would get that result as it wasnt on my UCAS form and I wasn't sure if I was going to sit it or not so I didn't inform them, should I inform them now if the uni will defo get the result anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    They're not sent electronically to universities in advance of GCSE results day AFAIK. Your friend will have to fax a copy of his GCSE result to the uni as soon as he gets it on August 26th.
    Alright, I'll tell him that. So that means the university will make the offer after the GCSE result to accept him or not?

One of my other friend did re-sat a GCSE similar to another friend that I stated above, but the offer didn't state the GCSE. Should he still send a copy of the results too since it wasn't in the offer?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.