Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I'm going to Leeds University hopefully this September to pursue my PhD. I'm wondering if there are Filipino students at Leeds or at least post grads from Southeast Asia? I will appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I have never met any filipinos here Colossus--and I have looked [there are certainly a few Indonesian and Malay Chinese if that fits your definition of SE Asian]. I'm looking for someone who practises Escrima/Kali/Arnis--you can't help me out can you?

If you feel a little homesick and want some Filipino company, I know there are medics working at Leeds and Bradford hospitals.

btw, I have studied 'Doce Pares' from Cebu if that means anything to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    I have never met any filipinos here Colossus--and I have looked [there are certainly a few Indonesian and Malay Chinese if that fits your definition of SE Asian]. I'm looking for someone who practises Escrima/Kali/Arnis--you can't help me out can you?

If you feel a little homesick and want some Filipino company, I know there are medics working at Leeds and Bradford hospitals.

btw, I have studied 'Doce Pares' from Cebu if that means anything to you.
    Thanks for replying to my post. I know one Filipino post grad student at Leeds Univ (I already e-mailed him but he has not responded yet, maybe he is too busy). Anyway, I don't practice the martial arts that you mentioned but there are lots of gym here in the Philippines offering lessons to arnis, etc. I remember one lady from Norway. She visited the Philippines sometime in 1998 and actually stayed in my parent's place for about a month to learn "arnis" from a local instructor. She told me she came to the Philippines purposely to learn "arnis". I was quite surprised. Anyway, the tale of the "doce pares" as I am aware of is lifted from "The Song of Roland or Orlando (a French epic)". There was a local film made about 50 years ago and it was titled "Doce Pares ng Pransya" - "The Twelve Pairs of France". Thanks for the tips, I hope I can find some Filipino folks and friends from all over the world when I get there in September.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I was a month in Cebu myself--beautiful.

I've remembered that the Catholic church between the university and the city on Woodhouse Lane often has Filipinos going in and out of it. If you're a Catholic that would be for you...

...luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    im filipino myself, but studying in kingston uni.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 13, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.