Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps

Just wondering if anyone here could help me.

Basically, I moved out of my rented accommodation 3 weeks ago, and I am still waiting for my deposit to be returned, which is £300. Not much when you're a big business, but a lot to a poor student! I have phoned the letting agent on several occassions who keep telling me that the property needs to be inspected and that someone will get back to me (which they dont).

We left the property in the exact same condition as we entered it. The property has already been re-advertised to let, so I assumed that we would have had our money back by now, or at least heard if there was a problem.

Im getting slightly pissed off by this as I feel they are stalling in giving us our money back, if we get it back at all that is.

Im just wondering if theres anything else I can do? Ive already sent a letter requesting that they return our deposit, as phoning doesnt work. Does anyone know of any rules concerning tenants issues like this?? Is there a time limit for things like this?

Many thanks, ps sorry if this message is in the wrong forum!

ReputationRep:
    What does it say in your tenancy agreement? Is the deposit being held by the letting agent or the landlord? If you're local to the letting agent, get down to their shop and give them hell!

ReputationRep:
    The tenancy agreement just says that the deposit will be returned "as soon as possible" after the property has been inspected, which hasnt been done yet. The letting agent is local to me and we have had nothing but problems with them since we moved in (i.e. saying we hadnt paid rent when we had, turning up unannounced, not responding to phone calls/letters) so I know that if I go down there in person Im going to lose my temper!

ReputationRep:
    Then lose your temper - you're not going to let another property from them so it doesn't really matter what they think of you. They can't legally keep your deposit indefinately so they have to give it you back.

Find a friend who studies Contract Law and get them to speak a lot of legal stuff to the letting agency - involve the words "infringement of rights" and "legal action" a lot. That should speed up the process..

ReputationRep:
    They normally return it within a month or so. They aren't that prompt when it can gain an extra months interest in their bank account.

ReputationRep:
    Threaten to take them to the small claims court - it will cost them more that way and usually gets your deposit back pronto...

ReputationRep:
    Go to your local Citizens Advice Buerau (sp?). They will advise you on what to do next and will help you if you need to start legal action.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Threaten to take them to the small claims court - it will cost them more that way and usually gets your deposit back pronto...
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    got mine back today, the ****** took £50 off it though as apparently a new shower tray needed to be fitted (£250+vat quote).

Landlords can and will rip you off left, right and ******* centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    got mine back today, the ****** took £50 off it though as apparently a new shower tray needed to be fitted (£250+vat quote).

Landlords can and will rip you off left, right and ******* centre.
    Ask him for a copy of the reciept (not the quote) for it. Again, if he can't supply it or proof that he did fit a new shower tray, the small claims court is always fun!

ReputationRep:
    Fluffy- yeah. Thats probably gonna be what we'll do.

Its hell arguing with him though- hence i'm not sure if I can be arsed over £50.

ReputationRep:
    My landlord is pretty decent, he done a lot of work on the place while I've been here like new windows and paid for redecoration. Tiled the bathroom and paid for it myself though but been here a couple of years and it's much nicer than it was so a good investment.

Would recommend the Citizen's Advice Bureau to get some good free advice. Small claims court is easy too - www.moneyclaim.gov.uk will get you started.

ReputationRep:
    As above, get help from the Citizens Advice Bureau, or even better the local Law Centre if there is one.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones help.

I have received a letter from the letting agent today saying that the landlord has inspected the property and it is "unacceptable" even though we left it in the exact condition we entered it in and cleaned it from top to bottom before we moved out. Apparantly we are going to have to pay for cleaning and having the grass cut (which we did before we moved out). So I am definately taking this further and will speak to the CAB for advice.

This whole deposit thing is just a ploy for landlords/letting agents to con you out of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)
    Hi guys

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones help.

I have received a letter from the letting agent today saying that the landlord has inspected the property and it is "unacceptable" even though we left it in the exact condition we entered it in and cleaned it from top to bottom before we moved out. Apparantly we are going to have to pay for cleaning and having the grass cut (which we did before we moved out). So I am definately taking this further and will speak to the CAB for advice.

This whole deposit thing is just a ploy for landlords/letting agents to con you out of money.

For future reference, the sensible thing is to refuse to pay the final months rent and tell them to take your deposit instead! That's what we always used to do - might be harder through a letting agent as opposed to direct lettings through a university landlord list, but I know people who did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    For future reference, the sensible thing is to refuse to pay the final months rent and tell them to take your deposit instead! That's what we always used to do - might be harder through a letting agent as opposed to direct lettings through a university landlord list, but I know people who did it.

PS - it sounds pedantic, but it's always worth going round the house with the agent when you move in and again when you move out. Take photos and get the agent to witness them...

ReputationRep:
    A lot of places put it in your contract that you can't use the deposit as the last month's rent. Anyway, deposits are pretty disturbing generally.

ReputationRep:
    I took photos of mine. Landlord was meant to be coming but didn't turn up. but they aren't getting away with not returning my deposit. Place was 50 times cleaner when I left than when I moved in.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.