Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can one of you scarily clever Oxford people please answer my following question?

Is there a good chance for someone who graduates from the LSE with a good degree to be accepted to read a MSci Degree at Oxford?

I am thinking of applying for MSci Management/Human Resources Management...

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is that I've met numerous people from other universities who have come to Oxford for masters or pHds. You needn't worry about it at such an early stage though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woostarite)
    All I can say is that I've met numerous people from other universities who have come to Oxford for masters or pHds. You needn't worry about it at such an early stage though.
    True.

I just wanted to know if it is heard of.

But thank you.

ReputationRep:
    What an un-ambiguous thread title...... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Pepper)
    Sorry

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, doable.
    But "Human Resources Management"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Pepper)
    fixed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Yeah, doable.
    At least it's not water management.

I **** you not, it's a degree.

ReputationRep:
    and thank God. You don't want to be drinking water that's been managed by someone with a mere A-level education, do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    At least it's not water management.

I **** you not, it's a degree.
    Excuse to be a blues rower IIRC...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Yeah, doable.
    Whats wrong with HR Management? Oxford offers HR Management (aka Industrial Relations) as a MSci, so does the LSE and Kings College. All the top Universities do.

Much needed
    profession with the potential to pay extremely well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellomoto)
    True.

I just wanted to know if it is heard of.

But thank you.
    It's very heard of...

Fluffs (D.Phil, Oxon).

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with HR Management? Oxford offers HR Management (aka Industrial Relations) as a MSci, so does the LSE and Kings College. All the top Universities do.

Much needed
    profession with the potential to pay extremely well.
    2 things
    a) you're learning to fire people
    b) do you honestly need a degree in it to do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    2 things
    Those are exactly the kind of ridiculous questions that are costing this company millions. I'm sorry, we're going to have to let you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    2 things

Lol.

Thats not fair.

It is not about firing people... These disciplines - Industrial Relations, Employment Relations and HR Management are about employment: law, economics, sociology, psychology, anthropology and so on.

It is exactly your type of attitude that employers possess which is why the UK has one of the (developed worlds) worst productivity rates - regardless of the fact that the UK enjoys being the World's 4th largest economy (imagine its position should productivity levels rise).

Employment conditions in countries such as the UK and America are terrible but this is because of a LACK of good HR practice; Management (independant of HR, and in a Liberal Market Economy), suffer from "Redundancy Anorexia" - whereby there only concern is COSTING! If something goes wrong in a business, the current attitude is: Cut costs - staff, whereby it should be to explore and understand WHY something has gone wrong! i.e. marketing? If so, advertise better, don't sack people!

HR however, is there to stop this from happening, and give us people better employment rights and working conditions. HR is about treating employees as the companies' "number on assets"!

Can anyone honestly tell me that they are 100% happy at work?... compare yourselves to the Japanese - who actually enjoy working, whereby most of us British loathe work! Why? Because the Japanese implement strong HR policies and they are a Controlled Market Economy i.e. there government gives more than two f***s about them!

So, to answer your question - HR is very important and would benefit any potential employee i.e. you!

.... Just think of how easy it is for an employer to sack you in this country, or think of Temporary Contracts replacing Permanent ones (as is) - therefore encouraging job insecurity and catalysing depression etc...

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

Thats not fair.

It is not about firing people... These disciplines - Industrial Relations, Employment Relations and HR Management are about employment: law, economics, sociology, psychology, anthropology and so on.

It is exactly your type of attitude that employers possess which is why the UK has one of the (developed worlds) worst productivity rates - regardless of the fact that the UK enjoys being the World's 4th largest economy (imagine its position should productivity levels rise).

Employment conditions in countries such as the UK and America are terrible but this is because of a LACK of good HR practice; Management (independant of HR, and in a Liberal Market Economy), suffer from "Redundancy Anorexia" - whereby there only concern is COSTING! If something goes wrong in a business, the current attitude is: Cut costs - staff, whereby it should be to explore and understand WHY something has gone wrong! i.e. marketing? If so, advertise better, don't sack people!

HR however, is there to stop this from happening, and give us people better employment rights and working conditions. HR is about treating employees as the companies' "number on assets"!

Can anyone honestly tell me that they are 100% happy at work?... compare yourselves to the Japanese - who actually enjoy working, whereby most of us British loathe work! Why? Because the Japanese implement strong HR policies and they are a Controlled Market Economy i.e. there government gives more than two f***s about them!

So, to answer your question - HR is very important and would benefit any potential employee i.e. you!

.... Just think of how easy it is for an employer to sack you in this country, or think of Temporary Contracts replacing Permanent ones (as is) - therefore encouraging job insecurity and catalysing depression etc...

aaaaahahahaha you're funny

edit: i'm not serious. i have more to say on the matter. just you wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    aaaaahahahaha you're funny

edit: i'm not serious. i have more to say on the matter. just you wait...
    Uh-Oh!

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomorrow2Day)
    Those are exactly the kind of ridiculous questions that are costing this company millions. I'm sorry, we're going to have to let you go.

LOL

ReputationRep:
    Is there a good chance for someone who graduates from the LSE with a good degree to be accepted to read a MSci Degree at Oxford?

I am thinking of applying for MSci Management/Human Resources Management...

I know of someone from LSE who came here to read his Masters in economics. You'll have to have at least a 2:i though, and outstanding recommendation letters. (v impt)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaGuy)
    I know of someone from LSE who came here to read his Masters in economics. You'll have to have at least a 2:i though, and outstanding recommendation letters. (v impt)

Thank you.

2:1 is tough but achievable.

I thought a University such as Oxford would frown upon any degree which is not a 1st Class Pass.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.