Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    how long do they take to complete?
    An hour or so, depending on how hard they are. We also have 3 classworks a week, where we do a problem sheet in lecture time. If you can't/don't do it then, you ought to do it later.

ReputationRep:
    If I'd wanted to create poster's I'd have taken art, grrr.

So far, the consensus is that there isn't much 'homework', apart from fluffy's 4 hours per night :eek: (and i'm applying to medicine so that's not filling me with warm and fuzzy feeling)
    I've had to do one poster for Pathology this year - it was a very good way of summarising half a term's work onto one page. They're not just arty farty stuff like you have to do in school.

"Homework" ( though it's almost never called that) varies hugely between courses and universities. I have to do practical write ups, write supervision essays and read up for practicals/supervisions as well as keeping on top of lecture notes. Or i'm meant to, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I've had to do one poster for Pathology this year - it was a very good way of summarising half a term's work onto one page. They're not just arty farty stuff like you have to do in school.

"Homework" ( though it's almost never called that) varies hugely between courses and universities. I have to do practical write ups, write supervision essays and read up for practicals/supervisions as well as keeping on top of lecture notes. Or i'm meant to, anyway.
    what do you call it then?
    your 'homework' sounds horrific, maybe posters aren't so bad. Though you go to Cambridge so I'd guess you're works harder than other uni's. (or that's a really dumb assumption) :cool:

ReputationRep:
    what do you call it then?
    your 'homework' sounds horrific, maybe posters aren't so bad. Though you go to Cambridge so I'd guess you're works harder than other uni's. (or that's a really dumb assumption) :cool:
    It's just work, really. It's not like school where you're at school in the day and do homework at home (though I did prep, but that's another story ). We just don't call it homework.

ReputationRep:
    We had to complete one poster presentation in the first year of Forensics. It is not supposed to be arty, but very scientific, unfortunatly we were working in groups and a couple of the others I was working with were a bit arty... even wanted to put glitter on the border.... :eek: I had to put my foot down lol.

As far as I can remember, the only homework we had (apart from the assignments with counted towards our final grades of the year) was in the maths unit. A list of problems/questions were put on the uni website each week, a couple of days before the seminar, and were expected to have completed them before we got to the seminar. We were also asked to read certain chapters of text books before lectures.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started A2, so can we please compare it to AS or A2, not gcse :rolleyes:
    surely you've done GCSEs though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The other thing if you don't hand in an assignment nobody will tell you off. But when it comes the the final year results don't expect to pass. You're responsible for your own learning at university, this isa major difference to school.

ReputationRep:
    Someone mentioned the type of work you get on language degree courses, would they please elaborate, pretty please

ReputationRep:
    Tutorials, essays, lab reports, presentations - that's the kind of thing you should expect. We got give a tute sheet every week in first year.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2005
Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.