This discussion is closed.
herrschmidt
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey everyone!

I'm currently studying at QMUL, Journalism and Contemporary History as a first-year undergraduate. I am wondering if it is possible to transfer to study history at SSEES?

I'm at QMUL because I was rejected from my firm choice, History at SSEES, back in August. As my insurance, also at SSEES, was a half-hearted choice, I had the application withdrawn later the same day. And so, I ended up at QMUL through Clearing.

My final grades were much lower than predicted. I was predicted 39 in the IB (776 at HL). I wrote 32 (664 at HL). I am well-aware that there is a significant difference between the predicted and the final grades.

Currently, my average in the course is 2:1, which may be raised with the upcoming assignments.

I am looking for some good, old advice from UCL students that may/may not have transferred from a UoL (or any!) college/uni. Do you think I have a fair shot of transferring straight into the second year or am I completely screwed?

Thanks in beforehand,
HerrSchmidt
ChemEng90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Damn, yet another fellow QMUL student wanting to transfer elsewhere lol! 3/4 of the people I'm very familiar with at QMUL are looking to transfer as well. As someone on the verge of transferring, you need to consider the following:

1) How close are you current IB grades to your UCL offer? (If not too far away, then your chance of transferring is better)

2) Is your course at UCL oversuscribed? (If oversuscribed, there's hardly any chance of a transfer)

3) Would you be willing to start from year one again at UCL, next year? (A friend was told to get a 2:1 to secure a first year place)

4) What reason could you give for wanting to transfer? (You need to give a valid and concrete reason why, not just that you prefer UCL to QMUL)

5) Are you completely sure that UCL is for you? (You have to be absolutely certain, because if you transfer to UCL, another transfer just isn't wise)

Just email the relevant department at UCL, ask if it's possible for a transfer, your reason for wanting to transfer, and your current IB grades. You never know what can happen unless you try!
herrschmidt
What a coincidence haha! Have you transferred or are you also on the verge of transferring?

1) Just two points off, the course requires 34 points. Would you think that two points are enough to reduce my chances?

2) I think it might be under-subscribed as the course focuses primarily on central/east European history, unlike the other history course (the 39-pointer). Also, I wouldn't mind if I was to go and do Russian and History instead (32 points)...

3) Possibly - re-doing a year does not seem too appealing, if I should be frank, as I may have the possibility of taking modules at UCL in Year 2 as a part of my history course at QMUL... then on the other hand, if I re-do the first year, I will have more history options...

4) Overall disappointment with the course? I am not offered the modules I would love to take, as well as I do not feel thoroughly stimulated by my current course.

5) I have visited the Open House last summer. I virtually fell in love with the course/SSEES department that day... Though I think I would have to go on campus or shadow a class for a day to really see if UCL is right for me, in particular SSEES.

I feel that my reasoning for point 4 appears somewhat dumb, if you catch my drift...

I am still thinking about it as I cannot exactly afford to re-do a year by the looks of it now. If I manage to get the finances straight, then I would not hesitate and transfer to UCL...

Cheers!

EDIT:

Forgot to add that I wrote a 6 in European History HL (predicted 7) and a B on my Extended Essay (predicted A too!).
ChemEng90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm going to transfer to year 2 at University of Aberdeen to study Petroleum Engineering next year, and also given year 1 entry to do the same course at University of Manchester.

Sounds like you may have a good chance. Some advice though: Say that you're not happy with the quality of teaching at QMUL. That one works. Also remember, you are allowed one year false start, so you would be covered financially if you transfer to UCL.

Finally, something I've come to realise big time: University is a big time in your life, and can't be wasted doing what you don't want to, and done being unhappy, so only settle for what you WANT. After all, we're paying to go to Uni, it isn't exactly free! Email UCL's SSEES department tomorrow with your query about transferring.
herrschmidt
I really do hope that things will turn out alright. Before informing my parents on the matter, I think I would let it have it sorted out in case I receive the option of transferring (they live overseas). For now, they know that I can take modules there for Year 2, as aforementioned.

What do you mean with "one year false start"? Does it mean that the tuition fees that I paid for 2009/10 will be transferred to UCL 2010/11, given that I am accepted? This is something new hehe.

This whole business with my current course sometimes drives me to the wall. The course is alright, hands down. We get half the work of an ordinary/straight history student as we do all journalistic assignments in class ("pressroom feeling"). Somehow the course doesn't click - as well as my coursemates. I virtually only talk to one coursemate, and another kid from QMUL - and I am the social type. Something went wrong... very wrong...

I cannot show you my gratitude to your answers and the time that you have given up to answer my queries. This means a lot for me! Congrats on your transfer and I hope you will find the course at Aberdeen exciting!

A virtual drink on me! CHEERS!
ChemEng90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by herrschmidt)

What do you mean with "one year false start"? Does it mean that the tuition fees that I paid for 2009/10 will be transferred to UCL 2010/11, given that I am accepted? This is something new hehe.

You're basically covered for an extra year on top of the length of your degree e.g. if your course is 3 years, and you do your first year at QMUL, but 3 years at UCL, after starting again, you don't have to pay for the extra year.

I cannot show you my gratitude to your answers and the time that you have given up to answer my queries. This means a lot for me! Congrats on your transfer and I hope you will find the course at Aberdeen exciting!

A virtual drink on me! CHEERS!
Don't worry it's alright It's nice talking to people in a similiar situation to me. No offence to QMUL, but it just isn't the place for me I guess.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My friend transferred from QMUL to UCL. :dontknow:
herrschmidt
Alright! You are a star! So many questions have been elucidated. QMUL is a very good institution, I must say, but as in your case - it isn't the place for me.

Again, thanks!
ChemEng90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
My friend transferred from QMUL to UCL. :dontknow:
Is she happy now with the choice she made? Cos, I don't know about in the case of your friend, but I know alot of ppl who want to transfer simply to chase prestige lol!
ChemEng90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Alright! You are a star! So many questions have been elucidated. QMUL is a very good institution, I must say, but as in your case - it isn't the place for me.

Again, thanks!
My pleasure
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChemEng90)
Is she happy now with the choice she made? Cos, I don't know about in the case of your friend, but I know alot of ppl who want to transfer simply to chase prestige lol!
Yeah he seems to be. He's been at UCL a year now.
herrschmidt
If you don't mind, what course is your friend doing?
username202682
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Did he have to restart the year though?
username196545
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Stricof)
Did he have to restart the year though?
If you don't mind, what course is your friend doing?

He does CompSci. He did his first year at QM, then transferred and did his second yr at UCL. Now he's in his third year.
ticktockclock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Like someone pointed out its probably not a good idea to say that the reason youre transfering is because 'your not offered the modules you want to take and are not stimulated by your current course'. That would leave the admissions tutor wondering (a) if you did any research about your course at qmul and (b) whether you would be stimulated once you transfer to ucl.
herrschmidt
He does CompSci. He did his first year at QM, then transferred and did his second yr at UCL. Now he's in his third year.
I realize that different departments have different regulations in terms of transfers... Must say it would be convenient to transfer directly to the second year, but I wont push it ;D
herrschmidt
(Original post by ticktockclock)
Like someone pointed out its probably not a good idea to say that the reason youre transfering is because 'your not offered the modules you want to take and are not stimulated by your current course'. That would leave the admissions tutor wondering (a) if you did any research about your course at qmul and (b) whether you would be stimulated once you transfer to ucl.

Naturally, I won't say that I'm not stimulated by the course content, it happens to be my honest view of the course. Thanks for pointing out the as and bs.
ChemEng90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Use the excuse I gave you and trust me, they'll be interested.
herrschmidt
(Original post by ChemEng90)
Use the excuse I gave you and trust me, they'll be interested.

Alright, I'll give it a shot. I'll get back once I've heard from them lol.
OhNO!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I applied to transfer for English. They told me they very rarely accept transfer applications within their department. Maybe I'm just crap, though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads