Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello. Would someone suggest if it would be a good idea to apply to a women's college? What are the advantages as compared to mixed colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wei_xin)
    Hello. Would someone suggest if it would be a good idea to apply to a women's college? What are the advantages as compared to mixed colleges?
    Unless you're a guy I would say it's going to be pretty boring for you. :p:

Academically, women's colleges are pretty average. Obviously, the environment is quite different from mixed colleges, but you still meet guys in lectures and at nearby colleges. That's what I've heard.

What are your reasons for wanting to go to a women's college over a mixed one, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine they're easier to get into (that was my friend's gf's reason for applying there), because less people would want to apply to them - and obviously no guys apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    I'd imagine they're easier to get into (that was my friend's gf's reason for applying there), because less people would want to apply to them - and obviously no guys apply.
    Why if they do? and they get a place for the interview? Lol. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly alvin...
    I don't know... My secondary school was an all-girls' school and I thought it was okay. And as Lauren said, they might be easier to get into. Thirdly I am the stereotypical conservative Asian female...lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    I think they probably *are* easier to get into than many colleges, since they do take a lot of pooled applicants. However, their results rank them in the middle of the Tompkins table (well, at least one of the girls' colleges was anyway). A bit strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    I think they probably *are* easier to get into than many colleges, since they do take a lot of pooled applicants. However, their results rank them in the middle of the Tompkins table (well, at least one of the girls' colleges was anyway). A bit strange.
    Since the all male colleges began to take in females... why don't the all female colleges take in males? :P

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. why is it strange?
    Alvin don't try to be funny or I'll hit you over the head during Bio lecture tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    Since the all male colleges began to take in females... why don't the all female colleges take in males? :P
    because otherwise some strict religious parents wouldn't let their daughters go to cambridge because (omg!) they would be living with boys :rolleyes: it also keeps the numbers of men/women equal-ish within the uni.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly alvin...
    I don't know... My secondary school was an all-girls' school and I thought it was okay. And as Lauren said, they might be easier to get into. Thirdly I am the stereotypical conservative Asian female...lol.
    Search for the recent thread on Newnham in this forum for a somewhat lengthy summation of the various pros and cons.
    They won't be easier to get into really, so if that's why you're doing it then don't bother. If you're crap and they have no better applicants because no-one wants to apply to the all-girls' colleges, this doesn't mean they'll take you - they'll just get better applicants from the pool. In fact, the Philos dos at Newnham told me that some years she just rejects all of her applicants if they're not up to standard and takes entirely from the pool: just because they might have less applicants doesn't mean they will accept a lower standard of candidate, as the oversubscribed colleges have to reject amazing people due just to lack of places and not lack of ability, so they can just have them.

Read the Newnham thread anyway, if you actually want to go to one for other reasons; and I'm sure most of the stuff said there will apply equally to New Hall etc.

Zarathustra.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. why is it strange?
    Alvin don't try to be funny or I'll hit you over the head during Bio lecture tomorrow...
    It seems strange that a college should produce results which outdo other colleges which are supposedly more competitive to get into. Maybe they aren't harder to get into, after all.

ReputationRep:
    This fact makes me sad, but it's true:

The reason that they don't perform so well is that women in general don't perform as well as men at university, particularly at Cambridge. There are many reasons and possible "excuses" which I'm sure Ticki knows more about but it's the sad fact - women are far more likely to achieve 2nd class degrees, whereas men get more 1sts (but also more 3rds). Therefore the women's colleges tend to come lower down.

However if you rank the colleges just by the performance of the women in them, I believe both New Hall and Newnham finish much higher up - top 10 if not top 5. There is the argument that the girls learn better because they're not "intimidated" by men in supervisions (rubbish, if you ask me :rolleyes: ) - or perhaps it's lack of distractions, or because girls there for religious reasons etc work harder than us mixed-college slackers!

If you don't mind an all-girls' environment (bear in mind your education won't be totally single sex - you get lectures and practicals with men and can join all kinds of societies if that's your thing) then there's no reason not to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    This fact makes me sad, but it's true.

The reason that they don't perform so well is that women in general don't perform as well as men at university, particularly at Cambridge. There are many reasons and possible "excuses" which I'm sure Ticki knows more about but it's the sad fact - women are far more likely to achieve 2nd class degrees, whereas men get more 1sts (but also more 3rds). Therefore the women's colleges tend to come lower down.

However if you rank the colleges just by the performance of the women in them, I believe both New Hall and Newnham finish much higher up - top 10 if not top 5. There is the argument that the girls learn better because they're not "intimidated" by men in supervisions (rubbish, if you ask me :rolleyes: ) - or perhaps it's lack of distractions, or because girls there for religious reasons etc work harder than us mixed-college slackers!

If you don't mind an all-girls' environment (bear in mind your education won't be totally single sex - you get lectures and practicals with men and can join all kinds of societies if that's your thing) then there's no reason not to apply.
    Actually, I thought I was saying it was strange that the college seemed to punch above its weight... although your point about ranking by women's performance only is interesting and obviously more relevant to people applying.

By the way, I have heard that girls do less well on average, but isn't this only in Arts subjects? I've heard people put it down to guys having a more confident style of writing (which many people would call "blagging" :p: ). Let's look at the situation for Medicine. A girl in my college complained about just this issue to our supervisor and he said that guys and gals perform equally in our Tripos. In fact, the top medic has been a girl for two years running.

ReputationRep:
    the girls learn better because they're not "intimidated" by men in supervisions (rubbish, if you ask me :rolleyes: )
    Well said Helenia.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I've read the discussion on Newnham and it kind of scares me.. hahah. I am currently studying in a mixed school so it doesn't really bother me that much... How are the women's colleges in terms of facillities?
    Ahem. I shall choose to ignore the grades bit...lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure - the reason I heard (but it's definitely wooly) is that more men do science subjects (Medicine being an exception in this case) and more women do Arts subjects, which are apparently "harder" to get a 1st in - obviously I wouldn't know!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure - the reason I heard (but it's definitely wooly) is that more men do science subjects (Medicine being an exception in this case) and more women do Arts subjects, which are apparently "harder" to get a 1st in - obviously I wouldn't know!
    Why then are all undergraduate degrees called B.A.?

ReputationRep:
    That may be true, but men also do better in particular Arts subjects. This is particularly the case with History.

ReputationRep:
    Hm. I wonder why. Sounds so unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I've read the discussion on Newnham and it kind of scares me.. hahah. I am currently studying in a mixed school so it doesn't really bother me that much... How are the women's colleges in terms of facillities?
    Ahem. I shall choose to ignore the grades bit...lol.
    Yeah, talk about turning a nice thread nasty! :eek:

Newnham's a pretty great college if you ask me (bias...? :p: ) and it has some of the best undergrad facilities. Our library is the biggest, we have lots of computers, email terminals in all JCRs, gardens are amazing and you can use them as you would your own garden at home, rooms are nice, kitchens are outstanding (fridges, get your own lockable cupboard, microwaves, ovens, hobs and in some cases even freezers!) and even the bar is improving rapidly! You'll have to ask someone else about the buttery, I have never used it and they're currently destroying it and building a new one. The all girl thing is non issue really, wasn't a big enough reason to make me ignore all the above when I applied anyway.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.