Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    NHS branch then, and it's totally funded by british tax money? I thought margaret tatcher did some radical reforms to shake it up a little...
    You'll be registered with a local GP (General Practitioner) who you can visit for free, but you do have to pay a nominal charge for any prescriptions (currently £6.50). They quite often won't prescribe stuff for colds though

ReputationRep:
    i didn't have to pay, i just said i was a student. maybe i was meant to pay? go to boots, they don't charge you. i was 18 at the time though.

ReputationRep:
    If you're 16-18 and in full-time education, you don't have to pay. Over that age though, and I'm afraid you do unless you fill in some big complicated form. Contraception prescriptions are always free though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You'll be registered with a local GP (General Practitioner) who you can visit for free, but you do have to pay a nominal charge for any prescriptions (currently £6.50). They quite often won't prescribe stuff for colds though
    £6.50?

£6.50???!

It'd be free in Wales for under 25s! And £4.00 for everyone else!

Methinks I send prescriptions home to my mummy...

ReputationRep:
    If you're 16-18 and in full-time education, you don't have to pay. Over that age though, and I'm afraid you do unless you fill in some big complicated form. Contraception prescriptions are always free though.
    should i have paid then? i assumed seeing as work took over my entire life, it was pretty much full time! they accepted my uni card as ID anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    should i have paid then? i assumed seeing as work took over my entire life, it was pretty much full time! they accepted my uni card as ID anyway.
    nah, you don't have to pay until you actually turn 19. unless you're 19 already?

ReputationRep:
    No, you're fine as long as you were 18. Welcome to the big bad adult world :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, seeing as a lot of us have been living here all our lives, most people have all "been there, done that" when it comes to London
    I live in London and there are things I have done here (probably because I live in London) Like go to the Tower of London. But I'm told that's rubbish anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soonalvin)
    Why then are all undergraduate degrees called B.A.?
    A quick search of "BA Hon" on answers.com yields:
    (Original post by wikipedia)
    In the UK, usage varies: most universities maintain an Arts/Science distinction but some, e.g. Oxford and Cambridge traditionally awarded BAs (which automatically leads to an MA after 4 years) to undergraduates regardless of subject. Most of the Ancient universities of Scotland award an MA to arts undergraduates but a BSc to science undergraduates.
    Here's the wiki on the different degrees conferred.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    the girls learn better because they're not "intimidated" by men in supervisions (rubbish, if you ask me :rolleyes: )
    (Original post by minimo)
    Well said Helenia.
    I'm sure you were all expecting me to say this and I'd hate to disappoint.

Fortunately, most women don't experience this problem, but for those that do it can be a very upsetting experience and it can have a profound affect on their studies. In these situations I believe the problem is not so much that women are intimidated necessarily, but more that men are likely to dominate discussion. This is a proven fact acknowledged by several faculties.

The general discrepencies between male and female performance in arts and sciences is that science answers are right or wrong, whereas arts performance depends more heavily on style. Traditionally, the male style has been the one used as a template for the marking system at Cambridge. I'd also highlight the Maths Faculty as a problem area, because it remains a strict patriarchy (there are VERY few women either employed or accepted for study) which results in women underachieving academically because, within the faculty, there is a lack of empathy for their potentially differing method of study.

I don't mean to hijack this thread into another debate about feminism, I'm just bringing the facts to your attention as they were brought to my attention in my capacity as WU Women's Academic Performance Officer. They're not my opinion, so please don't attack me for this post.

[/feminist rant]

ReputationRep:
    because otherwise some strict religious parents wouldn't let their daughters go to cambridge because (omg!) they would be living with boys :rolleyes: it also keeps the numbers of men/women equal-ish within the uni.
    New Hall's express purpose is to maintain equality between the sexes. Once this is achieved it may well become mixed sex. Who knows?

I really don't think you should belittle people's religious beliefs, or suggest that the people applying to Newnham for religious reasons are only doing so because of their parents' beliefs rather than their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    I'm sure you were all expecting me to say this and I'd hate to disappoint.

Fortunately, most women don't experience this problem, but for those that do it can be a very upsetting experience and it can have a profound affect on their studies. In these situations I believe the problem is not so much that women are intimidated necessarily, but more that men are likely to dominate discussion. This is a proven fact acknowledged by several faculties.
    There are, also, sadly a few academics of the good old days when women were kept out of site up the hill, who still resent the presence of us in their institutions. One of my friends, during one of her first practicals when she didn't know the answer to a question, was met with an exasperated "And that's why women shouldn't do Medicine." I've only ever come up against sexism once and that was a supervisor making a (supposedly jokey but very ill-judged) comment about both my race and gender and how I hadn't been brought properly and so couldn't possibly be expected to pass!

Fortunately, neither my friend nor I are the type to be fased by something like that, so ignored it as the mutterings of misogynistic fools (subsequently got a first - my only first - in his stupid subject, which showed him!), but other girls might not take it so well. It's not a huge problem though, I think the issues Vicki outlined are also highly relevant.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine they're easier to get into (that was my friend's gf's reason for applying there), because less people would want to apply to them - and obviously no guys apply.
    This is not always the case. A friend of mine applied to Newnham for Economics because she thought it would be easier to get in. After the interview she got pooled and then accepted by St john's.

Okay, maybe she was an exception but if you prefer another college, then apply to that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andi)
    This is not always the case. A friend of mine applied to Newnham for Economics because she thought it would be easier to get in. After the interview she got pooled and then accepted by St john's.

Okay, maybe she was an exception but if you prefer another college, then apply to that one.
    Oi, stop slandering the good name of my college! :p:

ReputationRep:
    There are six arch & anthers in my year at Newnham, I was the only one who applied...but I know for a fact there were more that applied directly and didn't get in. Just because they get fewer applicants doesn't mean they are less thorough or easier to get in to, you really will need a better reason than that if you're serious about your application.

There's also the rather bizarre situation in my year where one of the arch & anthers was pooled in from Peterhouse, yet the girl at Peterhouse was pooled from Newnham...that made me lose my confidence in the system a bit though, surely the pool is for people who there simply isn't space for, if that's the case, how did that happen?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    The what now? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The what now? :p:
    I knew you'd chirp in!

ReputationRep:
    i'd rather be at oxford... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I knew you'd chirp in!
    But of course :p:

Back to the point - I have to say I've never had a problem with men in supervisions, possibly because I'm either as keen to dominate the conversation as they are, or asleep. Some girls are admittedly quite quiet but I'm not sure if this is because they can't get a word in edgeways. Maybe I'm just too thick-skinned to notice these things?

ReputationRep:
    Back to the point - I have to say I've never had a problem with men in supervisions, possibly because I'm either as keen to dominate the conversation as they are, or asleep. Some girls are admittedly quite quiet but I'm not sure if this is because they can't get a word in edgeways. Maybe I'm just too thick-skinned to notice these things?
    some guys feel they have more to prove i think. also looking at some of the guys i've had supervisions with, they think they're genii, and hence jump in with (what they think is) the correct answer.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.