Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What happens when you finish a lecture/tutorial?

Do you make a "better" copy of the notes you took/got from the Lecture and find extra information?

What do you then do with these notes?

ReputationRep:
    usually go to the union for food/a pint or to the next lecture.

Don't normally make extra copies of notes- hell, you'd have to be really motivated for that.

ReputationRep:
    I normally just sit in the lecture and listen. Then when I get home (or perhaps the next day), I will download the powerpoint slides off the student portal and write up the notes for the lecture. I like having all my notes typed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davie_Moyes)
    Union, Beer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davie_Moyes)

Do you make a "better" copy of the notes you took/got from the Lecture and find extra information?

What do you then do with these notes?
    Not right after I finish. Later, I might read through the notes and then file them. After supervisions I just bung the notes in a folder.

ReputationRep:
    Print the lecture notes off the uni website and add any extra notes made in the lecture.
    If there was anything I didnt understand, then read/research.

ReputationRep:
    We normally used to go out for food after the lecture, if we had a long break till our next lecture we used to either go Pizza Hut and chat for a long time or quickly grab a snack at the local Greggs and watch a movie, play pool, go arcade or something .. as you can see we were a motivated bunch

But on a serious matter, I always used to print out the notes before the lecture and then annotate them during the lecture, and then later that week I would sort out all my files and make sure all my tutorials, lecture slides and annotations and other bits of paper were well organised. Believe me, its much easier to keep sorting out all your notes and bits of paper as you go along, rather than try and figure out where it all goes near exam time!

Also In the weekend I would try do some background reading from the recommended books, write some notes and then stick them all into the subsequent sections of my file. Apart from that I would just make sure that I kept up with all my coursework assignments and projects and thats about it!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, after lectures I either went and procrastinated in one of the IT suites or - if I was really motivated - walked all the way back to my halls to watch daytime TV (did anyone ever see that programme called 'Ed' about a lawyer that worked in a bowling alley? genius! Oh, and Frasier/Cheers repeats, always good... and the Daily Politics - on Wednesdays, PM's Questions. Oh, a real treat. Ah, I loved first year) or perhaps sleep for a few hours.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't to be honest. Half the time I never bothered to read through but some times I would read the notes before the lecture if we were given a lecturer programme book.

What I would do is stuff like programming after the lessons before an assignment was set to practise. This often involved lots of reading to learn the new language.

ReputationRep:
    generally go to the pub if it was lunch time or afternoon or just hangout somewhere. although later in the evening (or holidays when was disorganised)i would type up my notes and add colour and diagrams

ReputationRep:
    Er, you do whatever you want. Some people (depending on the time) have study group meetings, some go to the bar, some the library, some back to halls for lunch (or something to eat), some write up notes...
    I have a hard back book for all my lecture notes, which I find is better than loads of scraps of disorganised paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    Er, you do whatever you want. Some people (depending on the time) have study group meetings, some go to the bar, some the library, some back to halls for lunch (or something to eat), some write up notes...
    I have a hard back book for all my lecture notes, which I find is better than loads of scraps of disorganised paper.

i know for my A levels i carried around a folder and sectioned all my notes. Is that the same as uni? Do people have a folder for their notes and stuff to carry round?

ReputationRep:
    Head home, watch TV, browse the web and think about attending the next lecture. I imagine very few are enthusiastic enough to review/rewrite lecture notes. That said, the few who bother will definately save themselves lots of hassle when it comes to revision later in the year!

ReputationRep:
    Are you meant to study these notes?

I take it, by studying them, you are basically "revising" for a future exam or just clarifiying what you've learned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    i know for my A levels i carried around a folder and sectioned all my notes. Is that the same as uni? Do people have a folder for their notes and stuff to carry round?
    Yes, though they usually keep it in their room and bring a pad of paper to lectures. I just find that personally the hard back book is a better option.

I doubt many actually study their notes after the lecture; usually you just read through them to ensure it all makes sense.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.