Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    The main reason I hate learner drivers is because they are so unpredictable. They're not experienced, and when they're driving in a normal car (as this one before was), the passenger in the front has no control over the pedals. This means that as I overtake they could swerve or hit me.
    Have you not thought that maybe because they're learners, by definition they have little experience, and are trying to gain experience... by driving?

ReputationRep:
    do learners really need to be practicing at 5pm when everyone's trying to get home from work as fast as possible?
    Learners have to practise whenever their instructors are available - i bet you practised at times which could be seen as inconvenient to others!!

ReputationRep:
    there were people in the back of the car as well. an instructor wouldn't have let the driver slam on when we hit the 30 zone either.
    was the "instructor" wearing a bright yellow jacket!

ReputationRep:
    As a learner driver i can find some drivers incredibly intimidating, and people being aggressive just makes me more nervous. People have to practice sometimes, yes it can be annoying and inconvienient for you, i'm sure you weren't the perfect driver when you were a learner though.

(Original post by cat_meiow)
    Don't hate us, we have to start somewhere and yes we have to keep to the speed limit.
    leaner drivers dont bother me much. providing they stick to the speed limit. and dont drive along at 25 in a 30 zone. got stuck behind 1 yesterday. they waited until the traffic light was on green, they then slowly pulled away and got to a whopping speed of 15 in a 30 zone. this was in the middle of rush hour when every1 is tryin to get home. needless to say, it didnt take long for me to get past

all new drivers should go out at times when there is less traffic. once they know how to drive a bit better and can keep up with other traffic, then they can can go at any time. we all had to go thru this at some point

ReputationRep:
    The main reason I hate learner drivers is because they are so unpredictable. They're not experienced, and when they're driving in a normal car (as this one before was), the passenger in the front has no control over the pedals. This means that as I overtake they could swerve or hit me.

Don't get me started on senile old people driving. Slamming on at traffic lights...when they're green...
    They're "not experienced"? You're 19... you're still in the most expensive band for insurance, right? I reckon most properly experienced drivers would say your "confidence" makes you much more dangerous than they are!

ReputationRep:
    Well i remember being a learner and getting annoyed with other learners but weirdly once id passed (for the 2 weeks i could drive round) i gave learners loads of room becuse i knew it was tough being in that situation. Also you do get some t**ts who see an L badge as a sign to cut you up; i think its actually people like that that are the problem not the learner drivers. Hence once id passed my test there was no way on earth i was going to put green L's on my car.

edit: the time they go on the road could be dictated by a lot of things; for example their college/work commitments, their driving instructors availabilty etc and im sure they dont go out of their way to set up a lesson in rush hour, sometimes its just the only time possible.

(Original post by thefish_uk)
    They're "not experienced"? You're 19... you're still in the most expensive band for insurance, right? I
    im 18 and have had a llicence for 9 month. and so far ive had more experiance drivin that some other people i work with. and theyve had a licence for 10 years. but then i do a lot of drivin for work

as for bad drivers, a woman slammed the brakes on infront of me in the middle of a roundabout. nearly causing a crash. people like that shouldnt be allowed on the roads

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I was on a hill in a busy town and there was a queue at the traffic lights and after enough space for about 3 cars there was a yellow box because there was a turning to my left that people on the other side of the road needed to turn right to. I stopped at the yellow box as the lights were on red but once they went to green I started moving slowly up the hill expecting the cars in front to set off but at the front of the lights a learner stalled (I didn't even see there was a learner there) so I ended up stuck in the yellow box and the driver behind me who'd followed did too! Luckily nobody was turning. I know I should have probably waited for the cars to move before I did but I just assumed that they would go! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    They're "not experienced"? You're 19... you're still in the most expensive band for insurance, right? I reckon most properly experienced drivers would say your "confidence" makes you much more dangerous than they are!
    i don't pay my insurance i've been driving for over 2 1/2 years (well, 3 1/2 years but shhhh about that!). and i've done extra driving stuff, like pass plus. i think the fact that i'm young and more alert makes me an equally good driver, if not better than old people. my dad's driving, for example, is horrendous. perhaps it's because he's getting old, but he didn't notice someone at a roundabout and almost went into the side of them *heart attack*.

edit: oh, and I've driven around 40000+ miles since I've been driving, which I would call a lot of experience. I work at my dad's school atm, and I drive us there and back. Just call me the family chauffeur and it's been that way since I passed.

(Original post by undercover-ange)
    Yesterday I was on a hill in a busy town and there was a queue at the traffic lights and after enough space for about 3 cars there was a yellow box because there was a turning to my left that people on the other side of the road needed to turn right to. I stopped at the yellow box as the lights were on red but once they went to green I started moving slowly up the hill expecting the cars in front to set off but at the front of the lights a learner stalled (I didn't even see there was a learner there) so I ended up stuck in the yellow box and the driver behind me who'd followed did too! Luckily nobody was turning. I know I should have probably waited for the cars to move before I did but I just assumed that they would go! xxx
    i would have done the same. started to move foreward once the lights changed

ReputationRep:
    Was the road inclined upwards or downwards? Cuz learners usually have a hard time trying to start off again after putting on teh handbrakes and revving, too afraid their car would roll backwards after releasing the brakes.

ReputationRep:
    Some learners are fine, some are absolutely rubbish and you can tell they wont pass because they're so bad

I think women in general are worse than learners, at least learners have an instructor. I swear, completely honestly here, EVERY single time I have seena car pull out when they should give way, or drive over a pavement, or stop the car in the middle of the lane when turning right so you can't get past, or ANY dumb senseless thing I have EVER seen, when I drive past it is a woman every single time.

and thats not just being sexist or anything.. I have seen this happen maybe 30 times and not once has it been a man.

ReputationRep:
    Can you please bear in mind that we are only learning. Nothing comes perfectly at once and they can't exactly build private roads specifically for learners cos then we would never learn to deal with real life situations or traffic.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but it's the whole "hey I'm driving a car for the first time" arrogance that means they think theyre better than they are, OR just being over cautious and going at 20 mph and getting all panicked and wasting more time than nessecary. My instructor explained it to me, some people just dont get it, some are terrible, some just panick and make it ten times worse for themselves. Not everyone but some do and thats the annoying part

ReputationRep:
    you have to put up with learners.... but what you shouldn't have to put up with is learners who have no experience whatsoever - getting stuck behind some fool who has no clutch control and keeps stalling in the middle of a busy junction is no fun. Learn clutch control in a car park when you are 16!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I hate children. They get in the way. Ergo all children should be shot.

ReputationRep:
    who said we should shoot learner drivers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    Some learners are fine, some are absolutely rubbish and you can tell they wont pass because they're so bad

I think women in general are worse than learners, at least learners have an instructor. I swear, completely honestly here, EVERY single time I have seena car pull out when they should give way, or drive over a pavement, or stop the car in the middle of the lane when turning right so you can't get past, or ANY dumb senseless thing I have EVER seen, when I drive past it is a woman every single time.

and thats not just being sexist or anything.. I have seen this happen maybe 30 times and not once has it been a man.
    And the arrogant pricks who tailgate me, beep their horns and cut me up when I'm driving at the speed limit are always men :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    And the arrogant pricks who tailgate me, beep their horns and cut me up when I'm driving at the speed limit are always men :p:
    Yeah men do stuff like that. Women on the other hand sit in the outside lane of a dual carriageway going at 68 when there's nobody in the inside lane! And it's always young mothers taking their children to school who speed through my village. I do think men tend to be better drivers.....x

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.